5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent companion volume to the Falco series
I am a recent convert to the Falco series so I pounced on this companion when I saw it was available. It is an excellent book to have to hand while you are reading the series. It includes a short autobiography of the author, essays about how she came to write the books and about the research she did.

There are also very useful sections of maps of ancient Rome...
Published on 9 Aug 2011 by Damaskcat

3.0 out of 5 stars Falco in depth.
I have found this rather a heavy read, having finished the whole series, but will dip into it from time to time.
Published 14 months ago by kathleen young

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent companion volume to the Falco series, 9 Aug 2011
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Falco: The Official Companion (A Marcus Didius Falco Mystery) (Hardcover)

There are also very useful sections of maps of ancient Rome and Europe and a gazetteer of places and their modern equivalents as well as sections on food and drink, religion, the Roman calendar, short essays on each book in the series with fascinating asides about how the author decided on various episodes and why some people had to die or be born. Throughout Lindsey Davis' marvellous humour is much in evidence.

This official companion is worth reading as a book in its own right as well as being very useful for looking up more information about the Roman way of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars the Falco Companion, 21 July 2011
Did you ever think you had "met"a character briefly in one book and maybe that character has appeared again in another.but you are not quite sure.?
Fear not, this companion to the wonderful Falco books will sort you out. It is a complete dictionary of people, buildings, historical facts, not to mention who did what to who and why!
Finally there is a charming personal account by Lindsey Davis of her life and adventures and why she loves Roman history.

Add to this some interesting illustrations an d the reader has access to all he or she needs to know about informers and their surroundings in ancient Rome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Falco fascination, 28 Jun 2010
Teal Fox (Hampshire England) - See all my reviews
If you like Falco and his world you probably relate to his humanity and that of the other regular characters. This book shows the character of the author and how she has developed her stories, the cast and their environment. There is lots of background and I found it answered many of the questions I had, and some I did not and has made me feel that I will enjoy the few Falco novels I haven't read, even more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for Falco Lovers, 1 Aug 2010
This is the best companion ever.
Lindsey has written it as a letter to a friend, who wants to know all about the characters, books, places, customs and so much more. She also gives some insight into her construction process. For all those who are bereft at having no more Falco books to read...and need a fix at their fingertips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accidental purchase, surprisingly worthwhile, 8 May 2013
I bought this book by mistake: it is too easy with a Kindle to hit "Buy" instead of the "More information" I was aiming for. However, finding it immediately on my screen, and having just finished 'The Ides of April', I decided to press on and found it more compulsive reading than I had expected.

I think the subheading to the title: 'A Marcus Didius Falco Mystery', is extremely misleading, though. Verging on misrepresentation. This is not a mystery, and not even a continuous narrative. It's more like one of those featurettes that are sometimes included on DVDs -- The Making of Such and Such film.

However, as a longstanding follower of Falco -- though not an obsessive Davis 'fan' -- I was interested in the background to the writing of the books. More so than the Roman details. (I studied both Latin and Classical History, so a good deal of that was not new to me.) And I suppose it's inevitable that the successful author of more than 20 books, published all over the world, can sound a touch pleased with herself -- it comes with the territory.

As a book, I found it patchy. As I expect most readers will find, some of it was of much more interest to me than other bits. However, it is easy to dip into, and no hardship to skip topics. I am sure most Falco readers will find some insights of sufficient interest to justify the purchase, even if these are different things for different people.

Overall, for me, the most worthwhile discovery I made was that I was right to prefer the very first Falco mysteries -- maybe the first five or six -- and that I should go back and read them again forthwith.

5.0 out of 5 stars Falco the official companion, 7 Dec 2013
A very informative book, about the historical background and about the novels themselves, written with Lindsey Davis' characteristic lightness of touch. It also enables me to get to know a well-loved and much-admired author better. I will certainly recommend it to friends who are interested in the period and who enjoy the Falco novels.

3.0 out of 5 stars Falco in depth., 8 Jun 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 10 May 2013
as a Lindsey Davis fan since 1989 this was missing from my collection - i have enjoyed it immensely. great service, book as described.

3.0 out of 5 stars Greatly disappointing, 29 Jun 2010
C. B. Tomkinson "Bland" (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
I have long awaited both this and also the latest Falco. The latter was an abounding delight but this volume was a great disappointment. Not that it isn't very informative, but the presentation reminded me of wartime economy style and the reproduction of photographs was particularly poor. Maybe I was looking for a Dorling-Kindersley illuminated version, which might have been a bit over the top for this subject, but I do think that the publishers could have tried a bit harder.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 5 Jan 2012
I had hoped that this book would have provided more background on Roman life, the sort of things that Davis uses to give context to her books. Unfortunatley the book consists largely of quotes from the Falco series. This is a cheap option and does nothing help readers gain a better understanding of Roman life. For me (and this is a very personal opinion) this was a very big disappointment.

Falco: The Official Companion (A Marcus Didius Falco Mystery)
Falco: The Official Companion (A Marcus Didius Falco Mystery) by Lindsey Davis (Hardcover - 3 Jun 2010)
13.60