5.0 out of 5 stars Find out about the career AND the person...
Dawn French doesn't need any introduction - she is a well known comedy actress, loved by many, and is most well known for being half of French and Saunders, and as the wonderful Vicar of Dibley.

Published on 17 Oct 2008 by Michelle Moore

1.0 out of 5 stars bad
Not at all what I was expecting, just a serious of letters that don't follow on from each other. Very disappointed.
Published 8 months ago by Cara Macdougall

5.0 out of 5 stars Find out about the career AND the person..., 17 Oct 2008
Michelle Moore (Dartford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dear Fatty (Hardcover)

What surprised me about this autobiography is the fact that the focus isn't really on her career, and her fame. It's certainly a large part of the book, outlining her early days in the Comic Strip, the films she took part in, as well as her recent roles.

However, the fascinating aspect of this book is the way that Dawn shares her life growing up, the relationships she's had, her heartaches and her joys. She fiercely loves her family, her friends, and her colleagues, and that shines through. (However, she most certainly does not like Madonna! ;))

The book is written as a series of letters, to various people.. a large proportion of these are written to her father, and it's easy to understand why, as he had such an affect on her. One particular letter had me in tears, and I was so glad to see Dawn reaching a type of resolution by the end of the book.. which did make for a good place for it to finish.

Dawn's voice is obvious in the book, you can almost hear her speaking it in your mind.. in her own unique style. There are serious moments in the book, but the humour that you expect is always there. Who else would write a letter to her niece, talking about her life ahead of her.. including what it may be like to have a big bosom?!

For anyone who has enjoyed watching Dawn French over the years, I would highly recommend this autobiography, not only as a peek into her life, but also as a better understanding of the sort of person she is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, funny, uplifting and sometimes surprising., 17 Oct 2008
L. Cross (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Fatty (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this autobiography. I was expecting lots of the usual, 'woe is me, what a bad life I've had' diatribe that's usually found in autobiographies, but no. Dawn French is witty (obviously) but also self-effacing. She remains positive even when discussing the death of those closest to her.
The format of writing a collection of letters to loved ones also gave this a personal touch and a heart-felt warmth.
I'm no ardent Dawn French fan and I don't think you need to be to appreciate the humour and candid nature of her writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, warm and funny: a tremendous read, 4 Oct 2008
This review is from: Dear Fatty (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful book by a beautiful person, Dawn French. It made me laugh and cry which is quite remarkable when most autobiographies simply go out of their way to list the author's achievements.

Dawn has made so many people laugh over the years: now she will surprise them with her writing.

Thank-you, Dawn, for the most un-showbizzy of memoirs! You are blessed to have such a wonderful family, and your love for them is evident on every page.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read!, 7 Oct 2008
This review is from: Dear Fatty (Hardcover)
This is one of the best autobiographies I've ever read. It's a very funny, clever and sometimes sad look at the life of one of Britain's comedy greats. From her relationship with her father, to when she first met Jennifer Saunders and the spiralling celebrity which ensued, this book is packed full of brilliant insight into Dawn French's life. I urge you to buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dawn's delightful new read, 7 Oct 2008
Ms. Zoe R. Emerson (Guildford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Fatty (Hardcover)
Although the title nearly put me off, (wondering if this was going to be another celeb confessing eating disorders) I really loved this book! An absolute gem which I am now recommending to my friends.

What is really clear is just what a lovely, warm, funny person Dawn French is, her writing had a real resonance for me having had similar experiences and she really touched me with her revelations about her past.

An inspiration to women and a hilarious read, I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I always knew Dawn French was beautiful!!, 8 Oct 2008
Big Mike (Bradford, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Fatty (Hardcover)
I just saw this great book this morning and grabbed it. It is just loaded with some truly great photos, many in colour. Dawn French once said her father told her she was beautiful. I personally have always thought so, too. When you read her own true story and see these great and many rare, never before published photos, I think you will agree that Dawn is not only tremendously talented and funny but is truly one gorgeous babe, too!! Highly recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars honest, 30 Dec 2008
This review is from: Dear Fatty (Hardcover)
Dear FattyIt was after the first chapter I realised this reminded, me, a little, of Adrian Mole, it feels like a form of voyerisum reading another persons letters or diary. Dawn you made me cry and laugh in 1 page and on many pages. I bored my husband to tears reading snippets to him. Rest assured I am one of the other nominated people who keep planes up in the air by sheer mind power alone!!
There are no shocking revalations of abuse or addictions, no scandal no horror, just an honest look into someone's memory. I have fallen in love with Dawn on this read alone and I promise not to pull up a chair at your restaurant table or shout out your presence if I see you out. Read this for it's simplicity and it's affection. I wish I was one of the letters recipients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Life, 21 Oct 2008
This review is from: Dear Fatty (Hardcover)
Dear Fatty has made me smile, made me laugh, made me cry and made me reflect on my own life. It was a great way for Dawn to "talk to" her friends and family and to share her life story (to date) with everyone. I loved the way it was written and the fact that I can almost hear her speaking. Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, hilarious, honest "proper" good read, 6 Oct 2008
L. Winstanley "lynney Win" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Fatty (Hardcover)
Loved this wonderful autobiography of a truley genuine, positive, life affirming gorgeous girl. Great read, literally couldn't put it down and want more dagnammit! Dawn French deserves every ounce of good fortune and oodles of licky love. Subliminal words of sagey wisdom mixed in with her notorious crazy banter. Bloomin marvellous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I had hoped for, 8 Oct 2008
J. Jefferies - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Fatty (Hardcover)
I was really looking forward to this book after being a fan through French and Saunders and Vicar of Dibley. Dawn does not disappoint she writes wonderfully well and you do feel you are getting an insight into her life in a way that most autobiographies leave out.
This memoir made me laugh and cry, a little bit embarrasing when you are reading it on the train home!

Dear Fatty
Dear Fatty by Dawn French (Hardcover - 9 Oct 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01