Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 February 2015
I would highly recommend this for anyone interested in what "hard science"-based information there is available regarding ASD. The background research is thorough, and the concepts are challenging enough to keep things nice and interesting, while the style is very approachable, though thankfully not at all patronising.

My only concern was a lack of clarity with regards to what someone with an ASD should or should not be expected to do. One example is: on the one hand, we are told to avoid situations which trigger our sensory overload, while on the other, we are told to desensitise ourselves. Which is it? Probably a bit of both, I'm sure, but I, personally, need an explicit description of the threshold, please!
on 16 July 2014
Makes you realise that ASDs are all on the spectrum of normality; that there's a place for everyone and that a little understanding can make a huge difference.
We have a lot to learn from Temple Grandin; she is a super hero.
on 25 July 2014
Interesting read. Offers personal insight into Autism. I can hear Temple Grandin talking as I read her book. Quite humourous in places
on 24 June 2014
I really enjoyed this book, great insight into the workings of the brain in individuals with autism. I have a medical background so found it easy to understand however there is a lot of medical images and terminology that might put some people off.
on 6 May 2014
This book is very good from a professional point, and has many interesting facts for anyone interested in Autism, but complicated at times and quite indepth for the average reader, always good to read anything from Temple Grandin.
on 15 September 2014
I have just finished a master's degree in Applied Behaviour analysis (ABA) and I have a son with classic autism. This book has really helped me to understand why my son is the way he is and how I can help him. Dr Grandin has brought together all the strands of research discoveries to form an easy to see map of where the research has been and where it is going to. I will definitely recommend it to other parents and use it to explain why ABA works.
on 4 May 2014
This is beautifully written. Very insightful and informative. A 'must read' for all those who care about the wellbeing of others.
on 30 April 2016
An amazing insight into how an autistic person thinks and feels. Makes you appreciate that we are all somewhere on the spectrum and those with a diagnosis should not be pigeonhold. Just like everyone else they grow and develop and can lead fulfilled, successful lives. It's us who need to change our perspective.
on 4 January 2016
An excellent book by Temple Grandin that explores the Autistic Brain and the day to day difficulties encountered by individuals with Autism. It offers easy to follow solutions, although you should be careful as not every individual with Autism will present with the same Autistic traits or sensory needs.
on 12 June 2015
Grandin's book is very interesting indeed. It gives you insight into high functioning autism and lots of information about research. Despite describing quite a lot of research the writing is clear and lucid.