5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on philosophy as an everyday tool - an invitation to a real "dream academy"
This book sets out to teach you things you certainly aren't likely to have been taught at school, or at university for that matter. It draws on the ideas of a dozen thinkers: Socrates, Epictetus, Musonius Rufus, Seneca, Epicurus, Heraclitus, Pythagoras, the Sceptics (treated as if one person - the original one was Pyrrho), Diogenes, Plato, Plutarch and Aristotle...
Published on 10 May 2012 by The Fisher Price King

3.0 out of 5 stars Like a dinner table chat - covers lots of ideas but none in depth
I liked this book as it was informative on many topics; but as interested layman philosopher, I felt it was more like a dinner table chat with ideas brought up and quickly, opionion rendered, then on to the next topic. At times it seemed to be on the lookout to add as many names, movements, organisations as possible to give the feel of researched ideas but the overall...
Published 5 months ago by Benito Benito

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Enrol into lessons for life, 24 Dec 2013
This review is from: Philosophy for Life: And other dangerous situations (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book; settling down to lessons from the great ancient philosophers, discovering their relevance to, and influence on, many aspects of modern day life. I particularly enjoyed meeting the individuals for whom a Stoic resilience empowered them to overcome some potentially devastating obstacles - some true lessons for life here, I feel. I also really enjoyed learning of Jules' own colourful experiences, as we follow him on his own journey through the book itself; his wittiness and honesty a real pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 18 Dec 2013
Halfway through this book and loving it. Very readable, links ancient philosophy to modern life. A great starter in philosophy, or even if you're not sure but are interested in people, give it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent walk-through of classic philosophy, 27 Nov 2013
.. made particularly relevant to contemporary life and its challenges. This book is extremely well set out and written, in lucidity up to the standard of Alain de Botton.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 17 Nov 2013
I loved 'Philosophy for Life'. Fascinating in learning about the classics I was never taught at school and helpful in making me think about how we choose to be happy, or at least happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars philosophy for life, 26 Oct 2013
I bought this as a stocking filler and it was read from cover to cover by the recipient. not my type of book but for the right person, a good read

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, actively useful and informative, 23 Oct 2013
One of my favourite reads this year. Jules Evans writes clearly, without faux-scholarly obfuscation and manages to create a work dense and informative enough that you'll want to revisit it, but clear enough to read straight through. He has a light touch and an engaging tone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this book, 12 Oct 2013
MattM (Ipswich, Suffolk) - See all my reviews
I actually bought a second copy so I'd have one to lend out. It's probably a layman's book, but I found its presentation of key ideas of classical philosophy to be particularly lucid. However where it really scores (for me) is in the way it connects those ideas to contemporary life and the notion of philosophy as a means of mastering our own thinking processes with the aim of leading a balanced and productive life. I've not had therapy (lucky me?) and I flinched at first at the direct connection made with cognitive therapy, which was the author's route to (re)discovering a lot of the ideas explored here. However I must say that the author seems utterly genuine in his belief that we can all improve our quality of life through being clear headed about the way we think and the conflicts we all face. Well done, sir, a very good book indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!!, 22 Sep 2013
Definitely worth a read for anyone with an enquiring mind and interested in the answers and theories from antiquity all the way through to modern CAT approach to meaning and well being.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 17 Sep 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Written in an engaging manner with ancient history brought up to date with case histories. Lots of links to other interesting books and websites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed the book, 11 Sep 2013
Hi I bought the book having read about it in the newspapers. I enjoyed the book and will be delving deeper and starting to read Aristotle and Plato myself. This book inspired me to do that and I think you will enjoy the book and learn too.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›

Philosophy for Life: And other dangerous situations
Philosophy for Life: And other dangerous situations by Jules Evans (Paperback - 2 May 2013)
6.29