Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 April 2013
What a remarkable book! I receieved it as a surprise Christmas present from a very dear friend, & it's been so enlightening for me. It's not a book to rush through - I found reading roughly one chapter per week was perfect, reflecting on each one's contents as I went along.

Jack Kornfield recovered from a violence-filled childhood to go on his own personal journey, eventually becoming a Buddhist master after many years of learning & teaching, & here he imparts his own wisdom to us - providing real tools for a more happy & peaceful life.

Each chapter highlights one of the 26 principles of Buddhist psychology. He sets each one out, examines their meanings & truths, & then supports these by giving real-life stories from his own personal encounters. Many of these are his own experiences, but many more are with people whom he has met on retreats who at the time were lost & at a low-ebb in their lives, & were looking for an answer they couldn't find elsewhere.

At the end of each chapter he then invites the reader to put the principle into practise - reflecting on how we see ourselves, our world, & how we relate to others, & encourages a regular meditation practise.

The book is a real treasure-trove of wisdom & positive teachings - beautifully written, humbling & very uplifting.
How wonderful if such a book could be part of the school curriculum - our world would literally be transformed overnight!

Thank you so much Jack for your generosity in sharing your wisdom - I really feel now as if I'd like to start reading the book again from the beginning! I thoroughly recommend it to everyone who wishes to seek the path to finding more joy, peace, love, happiness & fulfilment in their lives.
on 8 September 2011
This is the first of Jack Kornfield's books I've read and I was so moved and changed by the very experience of reading and reflecting upon it.He writes about the precepts of Buddhism in clear language offering honest examples of Westerners' experience with Buddhist practice.This is a book I know I will return to again and again as I develop my own practice.The meditations are illuminating,but the most important thought I took from it is that we are all Golden Buddhas covered up by the clay of our upbringing and conditioning.
on 23 January 2015
One of the most inspiring books I have read. I fully intend to read it again shortly in order to digest the content more fully. This is a well written and easy to understand book, in which the author explains Buddhist psychology in practical terms and shows how to integrate it into everyday life. As a relative newcomer to the complexities Buddhism, I found it easy to understand and utterly fascinating.
on 22 February 2013
This is the first book I have read by Jack Kornfield. I purchased it after reading The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living by H.H The Dalai Lama and Howard C. Cutler by which I felt encouraged to do meditation with a positive effect. Like a lot of people, I was feeling negative and felt life was meaningless. Since reading this book, I feel as though my mood has been lifted and I am regularly doing the exercises and meditations. This is definitely a path I am staying on. It made so much sense and gave me so much passion to read his other books.
Well written, concise and easy to read. I am buying one for my mum and my sister now.

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on 6 February 2014
Watch Jack Kornfield first on YouTube, you can relate to him better that way. I love this book and have started to integrate many of his ideas into my own life. I'm happier and more at peace now, feeling compassion towards even the most difficult people. There is always a bigger picture to the behaviour of others and ourselves, we just need to be open hearted to see it. Enjoy! x
VINE VOICEon 5 November 2012
This is the first Jack Kornfield book I have read - it won't be the last!

The style is clear, concise and entertaining, and full of inspiring and implementable strategies for sorting through the delusions we all carry, take as 'reality' or 'truth' and which cause us unnecessary amounts of entirely avoidable suffering.

A wonderful discourse on how to integrate the key mindfulness concepts into self-discovery, psychological recovery and every day life.

Highly recommended!
on 3 June 2011
I cannot recommend this book enough. Regardless of whether you are a Buddhist or not, this book is full of clear and practical spiritual advice that will most certainly enhance your life experience. Simply written, though very potent.
on 12 April 2010
This new book is well worth buying; it's vintage Jack Kornfield. After so many years I really wondered whether he would have anything new to add. I was therefore astounded how fresh this book seems: the ideas are very thought-provoking and I love the way in which each chapter contains the 'core' idea in a small inset so that you can easily remind yourself of the content if you return to the book.
on 3 March 2013
THis wonderful wonderful book is one of my favorites. I have a whole spiritual bibliotheque but Jack Kornfield says essential and profound truths in such a simple and loving manner that one can only understand . After reading this book one just wishes to be able to go to his retreatcenter.. but even without being able to do that .. one gets back on ones "human feet" and the love and forgiveness for oneself and our fellowhumans. It does really good to read that book , i dove into it every evening with delight.
on 13 April 2010
my "bible", what more is there to say. apart from, if I had the means I would give a copy to everybody I know