5.0 out of 5 stars A practical, fearless example of a life lived with integrity
Published on 8 Feb 2007 by Brian Cormack Carr

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners
Published on 19 Mar 2007 by A. Gillies

5.0 out of 5 stars A practical, fearless example of a life lived with integrity, 8 Feb 2007
This review is from: A Thousand Names For Joy: How To Live In Harmony With The Way Things Are (Paperback)
Readers of Byron Katie's two previous books, "Loving What Is" and "I Need Your Love - Is That True", will delight in this new offering, and it also serves as a fantastic introduction for those who are new to this author. The book contains a few of the powerful and much-loved dialogues between Katie and an enquirer doind the remarkable process Katie calls The Work, but the bulk of the book is in the form of little essays by Katie prompted by quotations from the Tao Te Ching. A combination of beautifully poetic and deeply affecting prose and a multitude of concrete examples from Katie's life provide the reader with amazing evidence of the possibility to live a life of joy and integrity in today's world. I have read it cover to cover and am now looking forward to going back and reading it at a slower pace...it's a treasurehouse of wisdom which I suspect has no end....

Review by BRIAN CORMACK CARR, author of How To Find Your Vital Vocation: A Practical Guide To Discovering Your Career Purpose And Getting A Job You Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Living poetry, 7 April 2007
H. C. Starke "Hilary Starke" (Girvan, SW Scotland) - See all my reviews
As an admirer and user of Byron Katie's transformative process of inquiry - and one who thoroughly enjoyed both previous books - Loving What Is, and I Need Your Love - Is that True? - this book builds on her previous work, and expands it lovingly and beautifully. I have just finished reading A Thousand Names for Joy, and look forward very much to reading it again and again. There is so much to enjoy and to ponder. Byron Katie's willingness to share her experiences so openly is both refreshing and reassuring. This book is a joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a must for everyone, everywhere., 30 Oct 2007
It's a must for everyone, everywhere, It's is life changing and it's so simple. For anyone new to the Work by Byron Katie the Audio Book Loving What Is, is great, as you will hear Byron atually doing the Work with real people, its amazing, and so too is her second book I need your Love is that True, and this one just pulls it all together. it is a Joy Just buy it Now.

5.0 out of 5 stars So good it's 'Beyond Belief', 18 Nov 2007
I haven't read the Tao Te Ching or either of Katie's other 2 books, although I have seen videos of her doing 'The Work' on the Net. Having read many books by 'Awakened Beings', Ekhart Tolle, Tony Parsons, Krishnamurti etc. I was unsure what to expect from Katie. Maybe I was finally ready to listen; the honesty, the clarity the radicalness of it connected with something deep inside me.

Quite simply the most beautiful book I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Harsh" But True Words, 8 Oct 2007
This book has a "harsh" tone for someone unprepared because Byron communicates directly about realities we often avoid discussing such as death, pain, suffering and our fears. Each passage is like a conversational meditation on a passage from the "Tao Te Ching." I found awakenings as I read key parts of this book that were relevant to me. Excerpt 46 on "Fear" was very insightful and I realized that my own belief projected onto others is what frightened me. Excerpt 33 dealt with "Death" and Byron communicates honestly about it. We rarely hear such honesty and it can be disconcerting yet it is part of life and we need to embrace these realities. I recommend this book to readers seeking honest, insightful revelations.

Another book that I highly recommend for a transformative and insightful story is "Nexus: A Neo Novel" by Deborah Morrison and Arvind Singh. This novel examines the ups and downs of spiritual life through the journey of people at a spiritual retreat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners, 19 Mar 2007
A. Gillies (UK) - See all my reviews
I love Byron Katie and I love the work, and have bought her first two books for many friends, but I wouldnt recommend this to anyone who hasnt been doing the work for a while as I dont think it would be very useful for them. Its very abstract (albeit in a wonderful way) compared to her first books. Maybe I have got this wrong and my feelings say more about the stage that i'm at rather than about the book itself, but I definitely recommend reading her first two books before diving into this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Free Your Thinking - Free Your Mind, 15 Sep 2010
I am a Great lover of Byron Katie's Work.
Her book 'Loving What Is' shows a practical way to put The Work into practice. Some people find it a little dry or heavy going. I found it LIBERATING!
This book by contrast, although containing examples of her work with people, is more philosophical. I found it real Fun to read.
If you didn't like other of her books you might enjoy this one.
I didn't agree with everything in it. But somehow I found it gave me permission not to agree.
For me it had the effect of Setting me free.
It's not for everybody but it might just be for you.
Give it a go!

2.0 out of 5 stars I dont think this is such a great book, 27 Feb 2012
I must try not be disrespectful to the authors of course but I do not think that the book does what it claims to set out to do. Which as I understood it was to relate 'the work' to Taoism. For me Taoism is grounded I do not feel that this author is grounded in the reality that she claims to love so much. There is interesting reading about 'the work' workshops on guruphiliac blogspot but I only looked it up after finishing the book to check if I was the only one who had doubts. I am not saying that there are no useful snippets in the book but really I would rather read Gina Lake.Embracing the Now: Finding Peace and Happiness in What Is

4.0 out of 5 stars Design for Life, 9 Nov 2010
kiki (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
Wow...what a lady and what an inspiring book for people looking for a recipe to be more positive and uplifted in their every day life. The attitude and mind set Byron proffers really makes you realise what a special lady she is and what a difference we can make to our lives through our thinking. I've already bought a 2nd copy for a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be inspired!, 20 Sep 2013
If I could have only one book for the rest of my life this one would be my choice.
It is truly inspiring.