on 20 June 2011
As a dyslexic and very slow reader, I found this book amazing! I've never read a book in less than a week and I read this in 2 days. I could not put it down. Belief wise, I don't believe in all of it, but some of it I could relate to. I've been involved in a few religions and have been seeking my own path, which is what led me to Deepak Chopra in the first place. The key is to be open minded and try to see the world as other people see it and hope that viewing things outside your box makes you a better human being.

This was my first book my Chopra and I loved it. I'm used to scientific theories and theological theories as I love to read about all religions and beliefs so that didn't put me off at all. Quantum Physics is a subject so unknown and has the potential to explain a lot.

If you have an open mind and are curious what the after like COULD look like...have a read! Best £5 I've spent in a long time. :) Suspend your beliefs and your presumptions and just enjoy the ride.
VINE VOICEon 27 July 2008
It has been a long time since I have read a book by Deepak Chopra, the reason being, I seemed to get bogged down, and bewildered, by the bio-physics, atoms, eons etc,.
But my hiatus has enabled me to return to Deepak's books with a new slight, and a willingness to grip the "metaphysical" bits even if it killed me. Mr Chopra saved me the trouble. What he sets out, explains and theorises, is done in such a way as to make not only easy reading, but offers up a theology and a truth that is a revelation. Is there life beyond death? I have always hoped so. Having read this book, I now know so.
on 2 June 2008
A book that achieves the unattainable: to reconcile science with religion and philosophies on such complex issues such as: what happens after we die?, where do we come from?, where do we go to?, why is it that we are here?, what's life's sense?, does personality survive our death?, where is God?, Will I ever see my beloved departed ones? (by the way, you bet we all will!) etc...

This Deepak Chopra's masterpiece very clearly (and in simple terms) explains how is that conscience masters us and the whole cosmos. It goes on to explain with beautiful stories, metaphors and scientific evidence the mechanisms behind our brains and mind, our bodies, our souls and the definitive connections between us all and every single "thing" in the universe. We are and everything else, the expression of the cosmos!

This book prepares us all for an inevitable outcome... so, it's both, a consolation and an inspiring source of invaluable information... definitively the kind all human beings should receive as soon as we are capable of understanding that the day we are born is the day we begin to die, only to keep on living...
on 30 September 2013
This is the first book I've read by Deepak Chopra although he has been on my reading list for a while. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and even found myself reading the bibliography just to squeeze the very last droplet of wisdom possible. He writes very movingly and quite poetically at times. His ideas are thoughtful, well written and thought provoking leading the reader through a maze of theories as intricate and dumbfounding as the universe itself. I agree with one of the other reviews about the quantum sometimes being tough going and making your head a tad sore and admit I may have skipped the odd page here and there only to have to go back for fear of missing a jewel; because ultimately, that is what this book is - a jewel of knowledge offered with love and compassion for humankind.
on 12 April 2013
It's been awhile since I have read any of Deepak's work and due to my own healing work & astral travelling, I was curious to find out what this wonderful sage and teacher had to say on the subject. I felt he was spot on and answered so many questions re energy that were entirely in keeping with my own experiences and findings. This in itself is very rewarding and nullifies those little doubts that come creeping up into, I daresay, my own psyche as well as others.

This is a delightful book, which I would honestly recommend to everyone, especially given that at some point each and every one of us will exit our unique and individual physical form.

Thank you for sharing Deepak, you are truly inspirational.
on 21 June 2010
I attended a Chopra seminar in Dublin recently. I am impressed by this man's view of life during and after death. The book offers great comfort to anyone who has a fear of death. This book is not 'off the wall' but is based on scientific evidence of possibilities.
on 30 May 2007
'Life After Death' is one of Chopra's best books. I am talking about this specific edition that he published with Rider in London, not about the later version entitled 'Life after Death: The Burden of Proof' that he published in the USA.

What makes the strength of the present edition of the text is that designers and the publisher really worked well to bring over Chopra's poetic content. For this book is not just scientific in the modern sense of the word; it is scientific within the oldest traditions of the world, first of all the tradition Chopra himself originates from, the wistful Vedic tradition of India, but also the erudite Hermetic tradition of the West.

This book thus is not just a book - it is an art production in a sense. It is an artful composition of poetic teaching tales and scientific text interwoven in a fantastic poetic tale. I do not presently know an author who could do such a fusion without losing his style, and get into popular science jargon. Chopra is beyond these categories, which is why he can afford to put his whole heart and soul in a book where others, afraid of public opinion in a matter that is highly controversial, would stay with the 'hard facts'. And that is truly admirable. It shows a grand soul, and a noble spirit, and it assured me that this man has not been 'Americanized' by the fact that he lives and works in the USA, but stays true to his own millenary tradition.

I would like to compliment the designers and the publisher, Rider-Randomhouse in London, for this wonderful rendition of Chopra's thoughts. The choice of the cover, the font, the layout and design, all is the work of genius, and it shows so much care taken! And this is how it should. The American edition does not deliver any of this, and I wonder why?

I have never opened a book where I was turning pages and pages of praise before I ever started to read the first sentence written by the author! But with Chopra we are more or less used to this, as he is so incredibly popular. And for good reason. He is a complete human, and not an 'intellectual eunuch' as so many of his American colleagues, both in medicine and in the coaching world. You feel that in every sentence, this completeness, the emotional and erotic intelligence of this man, his high bioenergetic charge, his latitude, his generosity, his huge understanding of the human nature, his grandeur, his royal spirit. You see that in his face, or, at least, I see that, as one of the spiritual gifts I received after my transformation was face reading.

To be true, myself being a coach, I have a rather hard stance on coaches, and especially those from the 'hero culture' (USA), but Chopra is not part of their rings. He doesn't go around inciting people to 'fire walk' so as to build their 'personal power', simply because he knows that it's not the persona's power that is the real one, but the soul's power. And that is why I bought his book - and never regretted it. It was for me a journey, and I read it parallel with Leadbeater's book 'Inner Life', and that was truly a good mix. But Leadbeater is a dry mind compared to Chopra - who is a poet, after all. And when you see that somebody is a medical doctor, a research scientist, an author and very talented speaker of his books, thus who has actor qualities, and who is an artist, and a good parent also, you begin to grasp the fact that the real human cannot fit in the drawers of this society but rather incarnates the Renaissance spirit. To finish this excurse, I would like to emphasize that compared with Leadbeater, Chopra really is the better author, as he is less academic, less convoluted, more to the point, and more holistic in his overall approach to life.

The book reminds me of those written by Sufi authors. It uses a teaching tale to build an Ariadne thread from the first to the last page that helps the reader to bridge over the necessary dryness of pages that deal with hard scientific facts and statistics, or medical issues that Chopra eruditely expands into for the obvious reason of giving flesh to metaphysical issues. And the mix he has brewed from this assemblage is really alchemical in the good sense of the word - and it has been appreciated by so many that my additional opinion may not be of importance.

I want to see the person who, after reading this book, still fears death! Really, I am not joking. I think that one of Chopra's main goals for writing this book was to help people cope with the fear of death - and he has dealt with this task in a magnificent way, indeed!
on 9 September 2010
I am looking for an evidence based analysis of what happens to us when we die. This book therefore seemed like the ideal product as this is exactly the subject that it describes and to be fair it does present a view of what happens to us when we die.

My issue is with the fact that it does this in a matter of fact way based on an Eastern beliefs systems and using all the terms related to that religion. There are a few very minor references to real world evidence but mostly the stated proof more comes by desribing the doctrine prescribed by the Vedic Rishis for example and then stating that because the Rishis were able to define something it must be true. I had hoped for a more thoughtful a wide ranging analysis that considered other sources, that would be written more around Western terminology and thought processes and with consideration of more current evidence. For example any real analysis of the subject should consider in detail evidence such as near death experiences, child past life memories and work of mediums as possible avenues of evidential information.
on 8 December 2012
Life after Death is a beautiful book which gives those of us who are experiencing grief a small light to hold onto, knowing our loved ones are still somehow living...in a new consciousness.
on 3 May 2010
The major criticism of this paperback is that the binding margins have been cut to the bone so that it takes a feat of strength to hold it open. All paperback publishers need to deepen the binding margins.

For all that the content is good but it takes a few fairy tales to get to the meat of the matter in the last two chapters. But I suppose that its the way of trying to give the impression of value for money