Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 June 2013
Before reading this book, I read some of the Dalai Lama's other works, namely 'The Art of Happiness' and the compact 'Book of Wisdom'. The content in this book is somewhat more complex and may lose some readers due to its harder-going nature. However, it's hardly a challenge; it just may be hard to tune in to, especially if you're a light reader.

There are some useful tips and pieces of wisdom in this book, which is to be expected as it's written by a man who may be amongst the wisest on the planet. I don't think that this is the best Dalai Lama book, though. I'd like to say that that title rests with 'The Art of Happiness'. Therefore, if you haven't read 'The Art of Happiness', I'd suggest that before reading this. However, this isn't exactly a bad read - it's just inferior in my opinion to the other mentioned book.

Overall, though, a great book - definitely worth investing in.
VINE VOICEon 14 August 2008
after reading this book,i cant say i see myself any different than before,but i did learn new ways to see things around me,and by seeing them differently than before i can control myself far better,not getting so annoyed at stupid things at work,so give it a try it might help you.
on 26 April 2010
I was worried that this book may be a bit deep, but it is easy to follow. the principles are laid out in an easy to follow fashion too. I found the principles very comforting at a time of stress and family illness. our interpretation of events are often very exaggerated - and when we look at life from a different perspective, it is easier to see things more positively.
on 29 May 2014
The text of this book upon meditation is unusually simple to follow and enjoy..
either to use as a discipline, or to `dip into` to catch oneself back from the mind`s urges to run away with one..
Very accessible for the lay-person and uncluttered by any dogma.
Well worth it, by any standards, imho.
on 22 February 2013
... and so demanding of your attention. An essential for anyone who is trying to understand "emptiness"/ or who (like myself) thought I did understand the essence of "emptiness". I can't rate it highly enough.
on 6 April 2013
I'm enjoying the guide to help you meditate and to see things in life as they really are and why we become attached to things which have no importance.
on 30 March 2008
This book may help you find a deeper understanding into your life, and to better yourself. It gives you insight to the basic steps of meditation.
His Holiness gives you guidance on how to practise compassion and mental calm.
How to live a meaningful life. The Dalai Lama's Book may get a bit on the heavy side
But read it to the end, it may help you to understand the way Buddhists see life.
Amazing to read. A big up for His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
on 24 September 2011
I had to put it down a lot and read in small segments as it's quite full of Buddhist jargon and repeats itself a l bit to reinforce core ideas. That's fine, but just be prepared to take it slow. Some ideas presented are certainly logical but are hard to get your head around at first. Enjoyed the read as this book too exudes the Dalai lama's jovial writing style....:)
on 6 January 2013
The Dehli Lama is a clear author who can impart his knowledge with a seeming amount of love and care in his writing. Seeing ourselves as we are is far from easy, but if we can succeed in this the Dalia Lama's book makes it easy for the reader. I am on the second reading of this book.
on 7 March 2013
I don't know if i started with the wrong book as there were many to choose from, this is a hard core read - i've managed to get about a quarter of the way in and come to a stop - it's hard going, i will pick it up again as i want to know more