1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but...., 11 July 2011
This review is from: Colditz: Oflag IV-C (Fortress) (Paperback)
Having just retreaved this book from the book-case, I am again disappointed by the quality of the cover.
I have been buying Osprey books since 1977 and never have I held such a flimsy, floppy book in my hands yet! What is it? It isn't a paperback, is it the result of some international shortage of quality cardboard to stiffen up the outward appearance of a book?
Hence my 3 star rating, nothing wrong with the book itself, at all.
The content of this book is fine. I visited Colditz in 1994 and I am very glad that the authorities have decided to do something about the toutist appeal concerning Schloss Colditz. In 1994 it was a dump, literally. Good thing was that you could roam about the place without troublesome guides, or whatever, to curtail your curiosity.
It is a beautiful place and full of exciting, and moving, stories, to bore your grandchildren with. I am glad the author introduced the castle to us, the temptation to rush into WW2 is great, of course.
The maps, drawings, photo's and content itself is great. Very clear, a little brief (but, it is an Osprey book with a limited ammount of pages) and it holds all the right stories. Limited space, for instance, doesn't do justice to the huge ammount of work done by the non-Brits and a little more about the Goons.
If nothing else, it should give the new-comer to Colditz sufficient appetite to get stuck into this place-of-places! I thought it was well worth the money.

ARRAY(0xae1cb7ec)

Colditz: Oflag IV-C (Fortress)
Colditz: Oflag IV-C (Fortress) by Michael McNally (Paperback - 10 Aug 2010)
9.92