on 19 May 2011
Easy Vegan, a delightful book from Ryland Peters & Small is the perfect "starter" vegan cookbook, ideal for someone setting out on their vegan journey, or someone with vegan friends or family who is looking for some inspiration on what to cook for them, or just someone looking for healthy eating inspiration.

As the subtitle suggests the recipes are easy, accessible and the vast majority can be prepared with ingredients from the supermarket. Often self-proclaimed "easy" cookbooks are often bland and boring; not with Easy Vegan which is bursting with great flavours. Curries, spicy sauces and zingy dips abound.

Nearly all the dishes are made from fresh, non processed ingredients, with no fake meats or imitations of non vegan foods. Tofu makes a few appearances, but the book is full of good healthy food that just happens to be vegan. The book helpfully points out foods that may contain "hidden" animal ingredients, such as egg in pasta or fish in Thai curry paste.

The book contains over 100 recipes arranged into 6 chapters of, soups, snacks and light meals, main dishes, sweet things and drinks. Each recipe is accompanied by a full page colour photo, and quantities (and ingredients) are given in both metric and cup measurements to cater for both UK and US readers.

Dishes that stand out to me are sweet potato and coconut soup with Thai pesto, artichoke tarator (a garlic and nut dip), pot stickers with orange dipping sauce. More substantial dishes include a winter dish of roasted carrots with barley risotto, a Keralan creamy vegetable and cashew nut curry or a smokey bean hotpot.

Puddings are fruit based, minimal and simple. However I would have liked to have seen some cakes and muffins in this section, to accompany the crumbles and cookies. Vegan baking is very easy and it is a shame there are not more recipes.

All in all Easy Vegan is a fantastic first vegan cookbook for all, regardless of whether you are vegan or not.
on 21 May 2011
I bought this book a couple of weeks ago and have been through a handful of the recipes so far. The finished dishes taste nice and look as attractive on your plate as they do in the book, and I always look forward to the result of the next recipe. One major advantage which sets this book apart is that it's international - the measurements are given both in cups/ounces and in grammes, and ingredients which go by two different names (arugula/rocket, zucchini/courgette, eggplant/aubergine, scallions/spring onions, cilantro/coriander, etc) are listed using both names. The book contains a good mix of recipes from all over the world. I find chili can overpower a dish so that you can't taste some of the more subtle ingredients, so I adjusted the quantity of chili in the cauliflower curry which I don't think made the dish any less flavoursome.

My only reservation is the same as with any other cookbook: The recipes often require a large variety of fresh veg and herbs, so you either have to plan your meals and grocery shopping carefully or it can quickly get very expensive as you end up wasting food. I've still got most of a green cabbage in the fridge which I'm wondering what to do with...
on 29 June 2011
I first came across this book in my local Public Library. I found so many recipes and ideas in it that I wanted to try that I decided to buy my own copy. The book is British(not north American)so all the ingredients are easy to access.
There are lots of interesting recipes but I was particularly impressed by the soups and by the different ways to cook and flavour vegetables. I think this book would appeal to anyone, not just vegans.
on 23 March 2011
This is a great book for people who like to experiment and who love good, honest food. I can't bear vegan cookbooks that rely on "mock-meat" substitutes. I say, if you're going to go vegan, just embrace it ! This book showcases fresh and natural ingredients, without relying on all those nasty meat/dairy substitutes that really dont taste like the real thing anyway.
The book is beautifully presented. Every recipe is accompanied by a color photo of the finished dish.
As I write this, I am eating the paella dish from this book, and it's LUSH !! :O)
The only negative I could think of was that some (not all) of the dishes were not very original and seem to turn up in pretty much any veggie cook book, ie, hummus, gazpacho, imam bayildi. These recipes have been done to death. Done. To. Death. Also, I would have quite like to have seen a nice cake reccipe.
on 16 September 2010
This is the one to buy - compact, neat to handle, inspiring production, lovely photgraphs. The recipes are good and easy to follow. Well balanced selection. Love it!
on 8 January 2014
This book is not what I wanted. The pictures are good and the recipes seem nice enough, but many of the "main" dishes just look like vegetable side dishes in other books and would not be sufficient for us on their own. I think that a reasonably competent cook could find equal inspiration in a standard set of cook books by selecting vegetable dishes or dropping out the odd non-vegan ingredient from other recipes. I have been quite disappointed by the book on the whole, although there are some recipes I want to make. I would say that this book would suit someone who has not done much cooking (at all) before or is used to cooking "meat and 2 veg" meals.
on 28 September 2012
My husband is a vegetarian. Though I eat chicken, I have serious issues with egg, cheese and many dairy items. We are Indians. So Indian cooking is ok for me. But when I try to make stuff from other cuisines, I always find it challenging as making things that are vegetarian and without cheese is not always an easy thing. This book was an answer to my problem. It has various chapters divided by course like soups, starters, salads, mains, desserts and drinks. Have an array of dishes in each category from different countries. The photos are there for all dishes, and they are very clear as to how the finished dish will look like.

Perfect book if you are looking for vegan dishes from different courses and cuisines. One of the things I really loved is that this book does not use any meat substitutes. I am not looking to recreate a meat like taste but trying to enjoy vegetarian food as it is.
on 5 May 2011
I keep cooking from this book and love the recipes! A fantastic addition to my vegan cooking bookshelf. Nice format, easy to follow instructions and tons of attractive colour photographs as any good cookbook should have!
on 17 February 2013
I have been veggie for 20 years and this lovely little book was just the inspiration I needed to try new ingredients and create some quick new recipes without the meat substitutes. There is a wide range of meal ideas: soups, dips, snacks, salads, mains, desserts, and drinks. The simpler ones include 'baby leeks with sage and chilli bread crumbs' and 'Grilled portobello mushrooms with lemon and olive oil' which I think just gives you a nudge in being a little more inventive in cooking vegetables. Other yummy recipes include paella, smokey hotpot of great northern beans, grilled vegetable and almond couscous with herb dressing, quick potato and vegetable curry, cherry and hazlenut cookies. A photogragh accompanies each one and I appreciate the little intros describing where in the world it originates. I also like the hints and tips, and variations offered (e.g if you can't get hold of certain ingredients).
on 15 July 2010
This is one of the best books I've seen.the recipes are easy to follow, healthy and fresh and I've actually made quite a few of them.The photography of the food is excellent and helps you to creat the dish.The book I use the most.