Tagine
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:£7.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 21 April 2010
Now I don't know about you, but in my house most cook books get flicked through every now and then, and pulled out when needed to impress friends with fancy meals. The dinner party makes the book be read.

This book's different.

This book I look through, to find a recipe I've not cooked yet so that I can force friends to come round and eat them with me!

Seriously so far everything in this book tastes good. So far I've cooked the lamb and figs recipe, the shoulder of lamb, the butternut squash and the white fish and tomato one. I've bought some preserved lemons to go along with the recipes (don't worry you can find them in all supermarkets if you look hard enough), and have even made my own Ghee!!

The explanations are rich enough to make you salivate, but simple enoguh to read without a highlighter (take note Nigella!). There aren't many recipes, but that's actually a good thing. There's no wastage. I can pretty much guarantee that by the time the year is out I'll have made all of them, and will be going back for round 2.

The only thing I'd say, and this is more advice for the chef not a critique of the book, is that you must buy a big tagine!! We have a really deep one from Lakeland, and it's perfect for these recipes (even the shoulder of lamb recipe fitted in). If you have the size that I think most tagines are sold at, you may struggle with the "serves 6-8" recipe volumes, and may want to think about reducing them.

Oh and if it's Tagine's that you're not convinced about - give it a try. Great food, minimum effort, everyone's impressed and it's something in that delightful place between indian food and a stew!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this book after receiving a Le Creuset tagine for Christmas and wanting to do it justice! It's quite a small book so I wasn't sure how useful it would be at first, but unlike so many recipe books, every recipe is exciting and one you'd want to cook again. You need a certain amount of forward planning both in terms of sourcing all the ingredients and setting aside enough time to slow cook the recipes - but it is well worth it. The aroma of the different spices used in each recipe gradually fill the house as you slow cook the food - making you very ready for dinner when the time comes!

I would highly recommend this book as a good starting point, after making a few recipes you'll have enough ideas and confidence to start inventing your own.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Written by Ghillie Basan, with photography by Martin Brigdale.

From the back cover:

'Experience the authentic tastes of Morocco with these hearty meals that are prepared and served in their own special pot.'

Approx. 20 cm x 19.5 cm book with hardback covers, and dust-jacket, opening to 64 shiny quality pages split into chapters:

1. The Secret of Tagines, a general overview which includes the essential recipes for:

* Preserved lemons

5. Fish and Seafood Tagines
6. Vegetable Tagines
7. Accompaniments

plus a full index.

'..... a tagine/tajine is a glorified stew worthy of poetry.
Aromatic and syrupy, zesty and spicy, or sweet and fragrant are just some of the words that come to mind.
A dish of tender meat or succulent vegetables, simmered to perfection in buttery sauces with fruit, herbs, honey and chillies, an authentic tagine is in a class of its own and has become a fundamental feature of Moroccan cuisine......'

Each recipe is laid out with a relevant opening note, the title, the list of ingredients, number of servings and a clearly laid out method.
Every main recipe has a full colour finished dish photograph, and has suggestions for accompaniments and side dishes.

If new to the art of tagine cooking, this book is an excellent starting point as it introduces tried and tested traditional recipes along with some lesser known ones.

A traditional example is:

'Lamb Tagine with Prunes, Apricots and Honey', from page 15, recommended to be served with a crunchy salad and chunks of bread to balance the sweetness.

An example of a less-common recipe is:

'Tagine of Beef with Beetroot and Oranges', from page 23.
This is a fruity, earthy and very filling recipe, especially when served with the plain buttery couscous, featured on page 60!

An oven cooked example, is:

'Oven-Baked Tagine of Red Mullet, Tomatoes and Lime', from page 41.
Although any fish which fits the size of your tagine will result in a deliciously moist, tasty dish.

Other recipes include:

* Summer Tagine of Lamb, Courgettes, Peppers and Mint
* Kefta Tagine with Eggs and Roasted Cumin
* Chicken Tagine with Preserved Lemon, Green Olives and Thyme
* Tagine of Baby Aubergines with Coriander and Mint (although I find that the dish is equally successful using larger slim aubergines, cut into pieces)

and a refreshing salad to accompany the spicier tagines:

* Melon and Mint Salad with Orange Flower Water
(however, in support of the less sweet tooth, I do tend to omit the optional tablespoon of sugar or clear honey!)
review image review image review image
on 24 August 2009
I recieved this book along with my first tagine and it has since been the source of many delightful dinner parties.

The book calls for ingredients that are easily found in your local supermarket and the tagine recipes are easily contructed accompanied by some beautiful photography to really get your imagination going.

The recipes are varied in their ingredients and range from the dark, sticky lamb tagines with preserved fruits to light summer tagines of fish or chicken. There are vegetable dishes and salads as well that would be suitable for vegetarians or as side dishes.

My copy is now well thumbed and my favourite combination has to be the lamb and date tagine accompanied by the carrot and chickpea tagine with homemade preserved lemons featuring somewhere for good measure, homemade flat breads and a good dollop of yoghurt to finish it off (which isn't so traditional but yummy all the same)
on 1 March 2010
I had never cooked with a tagine before but the recipes are easy to follow and delicious. There is quite a good range of different recipes to choose from in the book, all of which look really nice! If you enjoy cooking and enjoy moroccan cuisine then this is a good book to have.
on 16 February 2011
I was given a tagine for Christmas and ordered this book to get started on cooking with it. Other reviews made it sound a good choice which was why I chose this one. It hasn't disappointed. The recipes are easy to follow and they taste great. Our favourites so far are the monkfish with tomatoes and olives and the fish in tomato sauce. Good price for a good little book.
on 6 July 2009
This is an excellent book. Not a huge content, but what there is gives one a good start to Tagine cooking, and the few recipes that I've tried have worked well. I would recommend this book to anyone. In fact, I've bought a second copy to give to a friend.
on 15 March 2009
I just love tagine because they are so easy to do but until I found this book I just made the same old recipe. The recipes are varied although a bit sweet for my taste but having tried them I now know how to adjust them.
on 16 August 2009
Excellent collection of recipes, superbly illustrated, easy to follow. This is an excellent introduction to Moroccan cuisine, the recipes are easy to follow and the photographs are very good. Well worth the money, an excellent purchase.
on 11 March 2009
Like others a thin but full book and almost answers all the questions I wanted. Again I had a tagine bought for me and wanted to find out how to use it to its best which it does.

Only reason I didn't five it 5 stars was it assumed all recipes (or at least the ones I've tried) uses the hob when I would like to have used the oven.