5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and practical
Published on 1 Jun 2007 by Farmbird

1.0 out of 5 stars Perfect English???
Published on 17 Aug 2009 by Rick in Aiken

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and practical, 1 Jun 2007
This review is from: Perfect English (Hardcover)
Ok I know this is just a pretty pictures, shallow kind of book and it's not going to change the world. But as far as these kinds of books go, I think this is a pretty good one. I wouldn't hesitate to give as a gift. The images are elegant and inspiring, the editorial is nicely written and not at all twee, and there are some good practical tips and supplier lists. All the houses used as examples are quite unique and eccentric, not "chocolate box" type houses. If you're debating whether to buy it - go ahead. It's satisfying, practical and inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 27 Nov 2008
anna (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perfect English (Hardcover)
This is a lovely book. But it is more than just a 'lovely book', delightful though it is to look at and handle. Nor is it just a parade of 'aspirational' interiors beyond the pockets of most of us - though there are some pretty sensational houses here. It's more a celebration of English individuality - that you can do what you like with your own space - mad colour and piles of stuff if that's your bag; or restrained colour and pared down decor if that's what you want. To guide you, there's a gentle categorisation of the different types of English house and a neat summary of the essential elements of each. But there's nothing prescriptive here - and uniformity is told to take a running jump. The message, really, is have faith in what you love and surround yourself with that. All these interiors are totally at ease with themselves - not concerned with keeping up with anybody, or 'making a statement' - except to say: 'Welcome and enjoy'. Congratulations to Ros Byam Shaw for reminding us that in making a home, as in living our lives: 'To thine own self be true'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential English, 21 Mar 2008
Jarah (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perfect English (Hardcover)
I'd vowed not to spend any more money on interiors books, but I just couldn't resist this one. It's delightful and inspiring. The interiors featured here are a welcome relief from the impersonal, 'hip hotel'-style designer rooms which fill most interiors magazines and estate agents' brochures these days. The personalities of the owners shine through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eccentric English, 13 Aug 2010
This review is from: Perfect English (Hardcover)
I have many books on interior design and this is my favourite. The houses photographed dont slip conveniently into glossy-magazine categories but are great examples of individual, slightly eccentric british homes created by people who dont feel the need to follow slavishly current trends in interiors. They clearly have confidence in their own good taste. Many many photos, all beautiful and interesting. More 'World of Interiors' than 'Ideal Home'. Inspirational.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful spabby interiors, 3 July 2010
This review is from: Perfect English (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book, I leant my first copy to a friend who didn't give it back, but I really missed it and had to buy another copy! There is nothing like it and it's sister book, perfect english cottages. I help run the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings Gloucestershire branch so that's why I call old and beautiful things spabby. This is the perfect book for creating spabby style, that is using things that generally aren't mass produced, that value beauty and associations rather than condition and a style that actually creates comfort and rooms that people can relax in and feel comfortable in. This book is about houses to live in, houses where you can kick your shoes off and cosy up to the fire. There are too many books about boutique & minimal style, this is a book for real people and real families to live in. I only hope Ros is working on other books in this style - they're fab!

1.0 out of 5 stars Perfect English???, 17 Aug 2009
This review is from: Perfect English (Hardcover)
Couldn't resist buying this book online for the title alone. I figured there would be a few houses I didn't care for but I never expected it to be every one in the book. If Nancy Lancaster and John Fowler-ish interiors are your idea of perfect English, then this is not the book for you. Most pictures reminded me of Crate and Barrel or Ikea catalogs. Everything looks staged and not really lived in. Too bad, I had high hopes.

4.0 out of 5 stars perfectly English, 12 May 2009
This review is from: Perfect English (Hardcover)
Nice item, title is the most unique thing otherwise just another example of this genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, 21 Feb 2011
This review is from: Perfect English (Hardcover)
I quite like the book, it didn't disappoint me really. But the opinion would depend on the expectations. From all i expected i got what i wanted.

2.0 out of 5 stars Perfect English, 12 Mar 2009
This review is from: Perfect English (Hardcover)
I do not rank this book at all and I am sorry I bought it. Scruffy English and not at all inspirational. I think John Fowler shows the now English style......albeit it came from the Americans. This does not show any English interiors that I ever knew, and I consider myself a well travelled British person.

Perfect English
Perfect English by Ros Byam Shaw (Hardcover - 1 April 2007)
Used & New from: 14.76