Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 April 2011
Never has the old adage of not judging a book by its cover been more appropriate here. The artwork to the Sugar Daddy Diaries may appear, to the casual observer, to suggest a somewhat standard chick-lit offering, but within it lies Croydon's illuminating insights into the world of rich, powerful but ultimately damaged men.

She lifts the veil on a world that many must think only exists in episodes of Sex and the City. Her quest for excitement and older, more sophisticated men leads her to Prada shops and exotic beaches, horribly-expensive champagne and exclusive hotels with eye-watering bills. But it also brings her into contact with complicated male characters - some of whom are likeable, others detestable.

Croydon herself, as our guide through the land of those who can literally buy anything they want, even a beautiful woman's charms for a while, is always entertaining, but not everyone will like her. Her moral compass perhaps does wobble at times, but she is clearly a confident, independent woman who knows what she wants and was prepared to go out and get it, behaviour which often makes both men and women uncomfortable. Not only that, but she had the balls to write about it afterwards, for which her bravery alone deserves credit.

As a result of her efforts, it is comforting to note that some men who have much material wealth, who drip with the modern-day trappings of success, can be so very fragile and lacking in genuine richness (the very same point that the Dalai Lama, no less, recently made himself). Croydon has shone a harsh light on that unfortunate aspect of the male psyche.
on 22 April 2011
Well... Wow. What a stunning, interesting, though prevoking read. It puts a slant on the whole concept of dating and sugar daddies I had never seen before. I came to this book expecting a light hearted piece of chick lit. How wrong was I? Helen's vivid, life like descriptions bring a new perspective to all of this and opens up a whole new world of interesting encounters to me. Well worth it, would reccommend.
on 12 March 2011
I wasn't entirely sure what to make of this book when I bought it, and now I've read it, am a bit the same. The story is simple enough - the author is fed up of "traditional" relationships and wants to meet older men who'll spoil her, via a dating website. Fair enough. However, I have to agree with the reviewer who says there's an element of prostitution at play here - about halfway through the book she tires of sugar daddies who take her to nice restaurants and chuck her a bit of Prada here and there, and begins to use a different site where financial arrangements are drawn up in return for "company". I was intrigued by the book, but couldn't really relate to it, particularly the latter parts. I suspect it was supposed to be about female empowerment and the like, but it's actually a really old fashioned concept, and one that I find really unappealing.

Nonetheless, the book was well-written (unlike others in this genre, that terrible Dawn Porter one, for example) and fast paced, and I wanted to keep reading. It was an easy read, and I romped through it on a cold, wet Saturday afternoon. I'll most likely put it straight to the charity shop though - it's unlikely I'd recommend it to a friend.
on 27 April 2011
Helen allows the reader a rare glimpse into a world, often kept under wraps. This book is a real page-turner, an easy read but that's not to say badly-written. On the contrary, what appears to be another generic piece of chick-lit, is actually quite a thought-provoking and fascinating novel.
I admire her honesty in this book and although a subject many would scorn, I think she illustrates how easy it is to become seduced by power, status and money and how the fine line between casual dating 'with benefits' can be crossed into something bordering prostitution. A fast-paced read with some surprising sentiment.
on 1 June 2011
Until recently there were three books on my beside - the latest Jaume Cabre, Tony Blairs tell all autobiography and then ... well Helens of course.

That was about six weeks ago. Now Mr Blair and Helen have since been safely tucked back in to the bookshelf, with the difference being that I gave up on Mr Blairs after P126 and instead decided to write my first Amazon review about Sugar Daddy Diaries.

I have to say it s not my world, I am happily married and have never given the online dating world much thought.

But Helens book gives a great insight into her intriguing life that few of us will stumble upon.

I enjoyed her honesty, from setting out to having a little bit of fun with no commitment to being drawn into a world of luxury that I think few of us would be able to resist. In fact I envy her wardrobe that she is describing in this book.

It s easy to sit at home, read about it and then go and say something like "Oh I would not go that far and do this and that", but how do we know? Have we ever been in a situation like that?

I dont know what her family and friends have said once they have learned about her other life, but I think putting these things on to paper, definitely takes courage and feels more genuine than any other author that I have read recently.
on 1 May 2012
normally I dont finish these chic lit lite girl blog sex books but this is actually quite fun / entertaining . Maybe because Helen can actual describe rather than being just a metro style of writer or maybe because I too have dated / sugar daddied and so I could see connections etc . This isnt a warts all kiss and tell and at times I feel that she is too kind to throw in enough satire to make it a great read . But where as many of the reviewers condemn I just admire , she was having a good time , and as she points out at the end more fun than many of the girls on uni drunk / club 18 route . These men always seemed to treat her well .A refreshing book about old fashioned sex .
on 12 March 2016
I think this is a decent book that shows how dating on these sites like seekingarrangement and sugardaddy looks like.
It is still hard for me to make my mind about this. The author portrays herself as someone so innocent who just got caught up in all of it, later learned that some women get paid for it and started doing it the very same way.
I am little surprised that she wasn't open to the possibility of love throughout the process. Of course she said she wasn't looking for anything serious but not sure any woman would genuinely enjoy this way of living for 3 years and never thought of any true love in the meantime.
I personally have loads of questions and find it naive to take her side of story. Not sure this is too far from luxurious prostitution, no matter how the wrapping of it looks like.
I have never went on such website but I think anyone really interested in marrying a sugar daddy would not intend to be taken seriously on such websites. So if she was seeking anything from older, wealthy man- this site was not a way to find it.
Well, at least she had some good and fun experiences and nothing bad has happened to her. I personally would choose to live differently. Go to these places and get what I can afford there on my own without needing to depend on a man in exchange of sex later...
Good luck reading it. Personally the story I would rate as 2-3 stars (be your own judge whether you could live like her) but the book reads easily so I gave final 5...
on 14 May 2012
Helen has written this in a gripping and fascinating way. It's a brilliant real-life story and an interesting insight into her mind!! That ridiculous review where someone said they'd breezed through it in an afternoon, doesn't understand that that this is Helen Croydon's excellent literery structure that makes it light enough to enjoy without struggling through it like War & Peace. I will CERTAINLY be recommending this book to lots of people. I can't wait to see this on TV one day, I hope. Excellent job Helen, I struggled to put it down!
on 10 May 2016
If it hadn't been a book expressing raw feelings of someone of the opposite sex then this book would have had nothing for me. It does not get any more detailed, exciting, or raunchier than the sample. In fact it got harder to read, at 20% i wish i could have my money back and after 75% I wish I had given up because here it got the most painful and remained that way. A lot of repetition about what type of champagne she drunk, what clothes she was bought, and lots of hotel and restaurant name dropping. Lots of repetition of self psychoanalysis on sexual morals that turned into indirect preaching. She never learnt any seduction skills, she was beautiful and all she needed to do was turn up. She says she values good conversation but failed to put any in the book. All sex scenes were little more than a kiss, caress, and then we recovered from sex, even when she met the two most beautiful kinkiest wildest richest swinging couple in the world.

She complained alot about her clients but what did she expect. If a nice emotionally and socially challanged guy can only get a girl by paying her ridiculous amounts of money for her company. There's no reason to lay into him because he is not interestering. Getting annoyed that he enjoyed having her by his side and enjoyed looking at her on the holiday he had paid her to attend. She laid into him and embarrassed him in front of everyone because he kept wanting her by his side when he kept returning to the boot repair shop due to his ocd, and it stopped her skiing.
on 27 July 2013
As someone who is serious about entering the sugar bowl and who never does anything without first thoroughly researching it, this book is a valuable source of information. As someone who is also interested in what makes people tick and why we do the things we do, I am relishing this book with glee. It's given me exactly the information I've been looking for.

It's a no holds barred story with all the delicious details balanced by the philosophy of it all.

Thoroughly enjoying it and don't want it to end!