5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous fabulous, simple and heartwarming
This simple heartwarming book comprising of the Diaries of this family man between the wars is so wonderful you never want it to end. I picked this up whenever I had a moment and totally lived the times.
Published on 6 Feb 2011 by mogs

3.0 out of 5 stars Really doesn't work
I read Tommy's War in book form and loved it.
This kindle version doesn't work because you lose the intimacy of the cartoons and the difficulties of accessing the footnotes in an efficient and satisfactory manner.
Published 19 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous fabulous, simple and heartwarming, 6 Feb 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars A NATIONAL TREASURE, 14 Mar 2011
Alexander Bryce (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tommy's Peace: A Family Diary 1919-33 (Hardcover)
As with Tommy's War [ see my report ] this is a national treasure . Better than any history book the daily recording of an ordinary working man's life . From the end of the Great War up to 1933 we follow the life of the diarist ,Thomas Cairns Livingstone day by day and year by year . We share his excitement on annual holidays , his great concern for the health of his wife , his immense pride in the achievements of his son Tommy and his pleasure in family life .
He wrote purely for his own recreation with no dreams of publication nor intent to impress anyone thus giving us a true picture of life in Scotland and particularly in Glasgow at that time . Here is a remarkable incite : the cost of living , what recreations were enjoyed [ walking and reading mainly ], the advent of radio for all , the influence of cinema , standards of medicine before the NHS , the national and local politics , the responsibility expected in relation to work and family .
Throughout there shines a light of honesty and decency which made me ponder where it all went wrong .
This man of limited formal education can quote from the classics , use foreign phrases and demonstrate an admirable command of the English language . His illustrations are as good as any professional cartoonist's in execution and subtle humour .
For all the detail in these 500 plus pages , this is not a heavy tome . It is fascinating and funny with a chuckle on most pages . I was quickly caught up in Mr. Cairns' life and , cliche or not , I couldn't put it down .
We owe a huge debt of gratitude to Thomas Cairns Livingstone for leaving us this record .

5.0 out of 5 stars Tommy's Peace, 10 May 2011
This review is from: Tommy's Peace: A Family Diary 1919-33 (Hardcover)
After reading Tommy's War I had to get this book which is the diary of Tomas Livingstone in the years following WW1. An ordinary Scot who kept a diary through his life, he talks about catching the mice, going for long walks with wife Agnes and son Tommy Jnr. Its everyday life for him but as his time was nearly 100 years ago for us it is a glimpse back in time and I really feel like part of his family. Thomas illustrated his diary with witty sketches bringing the whole thing to life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comments, 10 Nov 2013
This review is from: Tommy's Peace: A Family Diary 1919-33 (Hardcover)
I enjoyed reading Tommy's peace plus his quirky illustrations. However, i felt, that , nearer the end of the diary I did find it a bit repetitious. It occurred to me that Tommy himself was running out of enthusiasm for the task. Nevertheless, it was a true picture of social history of the years post the First World War.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Tommy's Peace: A Family Diary 1919-33 (Hardcover)
Not what I expected not a proper story just diary entry. Not a good read for people who like to read about events and happenings

3.0 out of 5 stars Really doesn't work, 20 April 2013
I read Tommy's War in book form and loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Southsiders enjoy, 13 Jun 2011
Nodrog (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tommy's Peace: A Family Diary 1919-33 (Hardcover)
I agree with the previous reviews on both Tommy books,and as a Glasgow Southside dweller, there is an added bonus in relating Tommy's extensive walking trips to the present day. One thing ,I would advise readers to read the foot notes prior to reading the page.

5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant piece of History., 15 Nov 2014
brilliant book I love it

Tommy's Peace: A Family Diary 1919-33
Tommy's Peace: A Family Diary 1919-33 by Thomas Cairns Livingstone (Hardcover - 2 Sep 2010)