4.0 out of 5 stars Almost too entertaining
Published on 12 April 2010 by J. Potter

A pretty repetitive and not very well written account of one man's time in the police.

The character comes across as a stereotypical copper - not too bright and with a pumped-up sense of his own importance. By his own admission he's constantly breaking the law... but it's okay... he'll never get caught!

I'm kind of annoyed that I contributed to this...
Published 9 months ago by Johno

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost too entertaining, 12 April 2010
J. Potter "johniebg" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ronnie's Looking for Trouble: The True Story of Britain's Most Brutal Undercover Cop (Paperback)
Ronnie is a policeman, it is his life. While many he knew while growing up turned to crime it seemed being a copper was in his blood. Quickly rising through the ranks as his no nonsense attitude brought him a bumper haul of criminals and to the attention of his colleagues and superiors, for good and bad reasons. As he progressed he realised the police force was at times just as infested with crime as the streets they were trying to clean up.

This book follows Ronnies entire career, with focus on his exploits working undercover. Constantly battling the criminals and the force he was trying to serve. We are presented with anecdote after anecdote, story after story and a never ending stream of criminals that trusted Ronnie right to the point he stepped aside and they were arrested. It also covers in quite heartbreaking detail some of the criminals he could not put away.

Which brings me to the crux of this review. There are two things I want to mention. I put the book down after finishing it and could not shake off the feeling I had enjoyed it too much. A man's career and achievement, the sorrows, victims and criminals, the dangers, victories and defeats, all summarised in 240 rip roaring pages. I had to remind myself these were real people I had just read about. It also occurred to me that in creating these rip roaring pages we missed a great deal of detail about Ronnie himself. He does state the job was his life and there was little outside of it, but I came away wanting to know a little more about the man.

In summary this is a great insight into life as a policeman and undercover detective. While often lacking gravitas and insight into the man himself it will shock and sadden and will most definitely entertain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ronnie's Looking for Trouble, 27 Nov 2008
A. Hunter "Angieeb" (Solihull, West Midlands) - See all my reviews
I read this book following a recommendation from a friend. Being Old Bill myself I anticipated an exaggerated, jaundiced view of the Police, but I'm pleased to say Ronnie comes off as a really likeable character. Yes, he perhaps did things which were close to the bone, but that was the nature of the job. I liked the fact that throughout, you got a real sense of his integrity and high moral standing. The story is not over sensationalised, like other police biographies I've read. This was a real man doing what had to be done, but still sticking to his roots and values. In essecense a good cop. It would make a good film in my opinion.
Anyone who knows little about the Police, but wants a pacy realistic read would enjoy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 1 Nov 2009
Couldn't put this book down, well written and some amazing insights to the cases he worked on. I have read a few true cop books recently and this is definitely the best one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read., 20 Jan 2011

I am a retired officer from the West Midlands Police and ''bumped into'' Ronnie on the car park at a local supermarket, ironically on the day I retired. Being an ex-under cover officer, he clocked me and I didn't even recognise him. He told me of his exploits and mentioned the book he had written.
I went straight home and ordered the book off Amozon. It was money well spent.
In the book he mentions his time as a ''Permanent Beat Officer''in Newtown, Birmingham. When he left to join the CID, it was me who took over his beat; they were large boots to fill.
Well done ''Ronnie'' a very good read and I've passed it on to my friends.
Alan Smith, Solihull

4.0 out of 5 stars engrossing, 11 Oct 2013
Mr. Derek Wilkie "Nutty Professor" (Perth, Scotland) - See all my reviews
i kept an open mind when starting to read this book as most books of this kind are usually by disgruntled ex employees but i found it totally engrossing.
Though I follow politics re many depts in every day life, I am also aware of what "Ronnie" talks about when stating that "head bosses" usually love to boast about "captures" on TV or in Papers just to boost morale and to win public confidence.

I actually believe what Ronnie has written about.

I brilliant insight to Detective work, the upside and downsides.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 18 July 2011
A very good read, hard to put down. A little repetitive in the story telling like a lot of these sort of books are but well worth a look if u enjoy these sort of things.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'A Cracking Read', 9 Sep 2010
Having read several books following the escapades of undercover police officers, it was refreshing to read one based in Birmingham (rather than London). Ronnie's looking for trouble follows the life of Ronnie Howard from his days in CID to a variety of gritty undercover operations across the Midlands, UK, and to locations as far as Los Angeles. The book is well written and fast paced, with vivid descriptions, and flows like an action movie. If you enjoyed the Infiltrators (based on undercover officers in the Met's SO10) you'll definitely enjoy this cracking read.

2.0 out of 5 stars "When criminals break the law they're lowlife scumbags, when my mates and I do it we're supercool mavericks.", 30 Mar 2014

I'm kind of annoyed that I contributed to this thug's royalty check!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Dec 2013
Books like this can sometimes be very dull. A bitter ex cop bigging themselves up, yawn. Ronnie is clearly different. Yes there are parts when he shows he can like himself a little too much, but his stories are fascinating. The risks, moments of luck and genius kept me glued till the end. I'll definitely be passing this on to my friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 9 Sep 2014