5.0 out of 5 stars Difficult subjects, easy to read.
The story of Eileen's life to the age of 16 covers many issues that are very unsettling to think about, but Eileen's writing style is effortlessly frank and very easy to read. I read it in a couple of days - I haven't read a book that quick in years!

Published on 24 Nov 2008 by Ms. A. Woodward

1.0 out of 5 stars book
bought this but wish I hadn't found the content quite disturbing couldn't finish it. it's a very powerful book on a very touchy subject maybe others would like it though but it wasn't for me
Published on 16 Oct 2009 by leysestra

5.0 out of 5 stars Difficult subjects, easy to read., 24 Nov 2008
This review is from: As I Lay Me Down to Sleep (Paperback)

I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone who is interested in all forms of life experience - fear, humour, grief and strength of character.

1.0 out of 5 stars book, 16 Oct 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars A movie adaptation must follow, 7 Nov 2008
This review is from: As I Lay Me Down to Sleep (Paperback)
Forget the raft of misery lit clogging up the bookshops. Yes, this is the story of a young girl from birth to sixteen. She was adopted,abused, neglected by individuals and institutions. But this book for all the familiar subject matter is written in such an honest, straight-forward, unembellished way as to set it apart from the rest.

It is a rollercoaster ride of a read, in which a girl, adrift in a society which constantly overlooks her needs and potential, tries to cope.She copes, mainly using her mantra of "Nothing in, nothing out."

So powerful was this book that I read it in one sitting and I would highly recommend it. It's not misery lit but it is a powerfully moving read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspiration, 15 July 2014
This review is from: As I Lay Me Down to Sleep (Paperback)
I knew Eileen when we met at Hamilton grammar school . so sad that she was suffering so much . she was funny , gorgeous , outrageous at times , like myself only there for a laugh ! but never heard her say a bad word about anyone......... last I heard was when her baby boy Craig was born , an inspiration to us all Eileen x x Lynne Stewart (Hardy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: As I Lay Me Down to Sleep (Paperback)
I found this a very good read, very brave of the author to write this to show what children have to put up with

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 18 May 2014
I enjoyed this book more than a lot of the others of the same ilk. possibly due to coming from Glasgow and really not knowing what an upbringing overseen by social services involved. Eileen had two main things to contend with, being adoption and care. the book rarely brings the adoption up as an issue, more a misfortune, given the parents in which her care was untrusted. how these people were ever allowed to adopt a child, let alone two is beyond me. the book was repetitively self analysing, although I imagine this was Eileen point in writing it. therapy in itself. at times it looked too deep for answers and reasons. I am looking forward to the next instalment, hoping it will be a more content and happier journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good but traumatic read, 26 Dec 2009
Angela Lovelace "Angela" (Essex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: As I Lay Me Down to Sleep (Paperback)
I have literally just finished reading "As I lay me down to sleep."

It was a real life book written by the author about her own life in the care system in the late sixties and into the late 70's. I bought this book back in 2008, and thought I should start to look at some of my older books in my to read pile.

This book I think was written as a catharsis for the woman who had suffered these terrible things in a system that was supposed to be there to safe guard her. I am sure her story will help many others.

I found some parts hard to read as I myself had been more or less left to raise myself, and had had involvement with social workers and fosters families when I was a child, it brought back a lot of past uglies for me, but it was well written.

I do not normally go for this kind of book for the reasons I listed above, and i am not sure if I will go out of my way to read another again for a while. I cried at her story in several places and understood her fears in others.

All in all, a good book, but very disturbing. Thank you Eileen for sharing your story.

5.0 out of 5 stars true story, 8 Jan 2012
Mrs. L. Stewart (Airdrie, Lanarkshire. Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book was so moving and just goes to show how we do have strength when we need it the most and how love can concure all.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, 31 Aug 2011
This review is from: As I Lay Me Down to Sleep (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book I find it really well written people who have not been abused sometimes find it hard to believe

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 7 Aug 2009
This review is from: As I Lay Me Down to Sleep (Paperback)
well done Eileen took a lot of courage to stand up and do what you did i truly admire you lizx

As I Lay Me Down to Sleep
As I Lay Me Down to Sleep by Carol McKay (Paperback - 7 Aug 2008)