4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth waiting for
Where do you begin in writing about such a heart-rending and harrowing, true story? Zach comes from a loving, decent and reasonably well off family. He had every advantage but started taking drugs at an early age, resulting in bipolar disorder, a condition formerly known as manic depression.

His parents, sister and friends have been driven to distraction and,...
Published on 29 July 2009 by Roy Wills

2.0 out of 5 stars repetitive
I found this book rather repetitive and boring.
I only kept reading because I wanted to see if he would help himself.
I don't think this is worth the money.
Published 4 months ago by Mamfred

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth waiting for, 29 July 2009
Roy Wills - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Wait for Me: How a Mother Lost her Son to Bipolar Disorder and Drug Abuse (Paperback)

His parents, sister and friends have been driven to distraction and, like many bipolar sufferers, he won't face up to it or admit there is a problem. The highs are so good that they don't want to come down. On the other hand, in Zach's case, the lows mean he turns again to drugs to try and get back to a high. Most sufferers don't want to take their prescription drugs, as it turns them in a state of near stupefaction. You can be angry with them for refusing their medication, but can understand why they do.

It's an intolerable problem and no-one should have to suffer like this, not Zach, or his family and friends. But they do, in this very graphic account. The NHS has no facilities to cope properly with the condition, and what services there are seem more like something from the middle ages than the current era. Mental health is invisible and does not carry the same level of priority as cancer or heart disease. And yet there are almost 600,000 suffering from it in the UK - and those are only the ones who have been diagnosed - with the numbers predicted to double by 2025. So it's a real and pressing issue for us all.

It is also a much misunderstood disorder, where the popular press find it amusing to pillory people like Kerry Katona, who is also a sufferer. But there's nothing remotely entertaining about it.

If it all sounds desperately depressing, it is not. There are lighter moments, as well as touching stories about people who have tried to help Zach, often complete strangers.

If you want some insights into this condition, then it's a rewarding and worthwhile book, as well as a brave one. Zach's mother has courageously put her heart and soul into this and I'd recommend it to anyone with an enquiring or caring mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, heartbreaking read..., 2 July 2008
This book, is such a page turner. It takes you on a journey you can not believe a family can go through. It had me in tears at many points and laughter too. I found it incredibly moving and beautifully written. I would recommend this book to anyone. I think it is important for the stigma of mental illness to be challenged. I think Ros Morris has really let us into her life with this book, which must have taken a lot of courage. I sincerely feel for her son and the rest of her family. I have read many books about true life but found this one real touched a nerve.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bipolar patient thanks the author and asks a couple of questions, 2 Nov. 2013
I did not pick up this book at random but chose to read it because I had been sectioned for manic depression (bipolar affective disorder) and later went back into hospital for the same condition again. I wanted to understand what it was like for a parent to cope with the switchback experience of having a manic depressive son. And this book gave me a good idea though of course every case is different.

I was left with a couple of questions though. My mother was sectioned with manic depression when I was six years old. So she was a parent with bipolar disorder looking on helplessly at a son with the same disorder. In my case this condition is definitely genetic (I inherited it from my mother). So, here is my first question. Was there a genetic heritage of this illness somewhere with "Zach"? The other question is this (and it bears on 'Zach's condition). Does the use of psychedelic drugs by a manic depressive person mask the underlying bipolar condition, or does it exacerbate it or even set it off?

In my case I thought that the large amounts of LSD I took when I was 17-19 had left me with a lifetime of cyclical psychotic episodes. But this misdiagnosis on my part merely delayed my proper diagnosis in the place where I should have gone, that is, a psychiatric hospital. I wonder what Ros Morris would make of these two questions which I have framed above: (1) is there evidence in her parents/grandparents generation or her husband's antecedents of this condition? and (2) does she think that the use of drugs is in part a red herring. "Recreational" drugs may make bipolar disorder worse, and they may even trigger what is a genetic psychiatric illness, but they do not create it. Meanwhile, thank you Ros Morris for telling your story and 'Zach's' with such vividness and verve. It was an evidently tortuous experience for all of the family. I hope things are better now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Wait for Me, 2 July 2008
A very well written, fast paced emotional and harrowing true-life story, which left me in tears. Ros Morris is very brave in exposing the intimate turmoil she and her family have gone through. I highly recommend this book, which is hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't wait for me, 12 July 2008
This is an unsentimental yet heart rending account of a nightmare decade one family lived through. Any one of the agonising episodes described would be too much to bear for most but, in an almost unsettlingly calm voice, Ros Morris describes the unrelenting nature of bi-polar disorder coupled with drug abuse and the ripples it sends out. Highly readable and beautifully written, I cried and laughed whilst I raced through it in two sittings. Don't Wait for Me: How a Mother Lost her Son to Bipolar Disorder and Drug Abuse
If you're dealing with or have ever dealt with a mental health or drug abuse issue, you should read this book. If you are a spouse, parent or sibling to someone with a mental health issue, you should read this book. If you have any interest in mental health issues or drug abuse, you really should read this book. If you have a heart and an interest in how human relationships can survive and overcome the worst possible tests, then read the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIFE AS WE KNOW IT, 23 July 2008
For those coping with a difficult situation within their family "Don't Wait for Me" should be compulsory reading and it should also be read by all those others who are quick to complain about perceived problems that are in reality often superficial. This is an account of real people with real issues to deal with on a day to day basis. The saddest part is the realisation that no amount of love and sacrifice is enough to overcome the problems experienced in this situation and that the 'NO Care in the Community' scheme fails to do enough for many people struggling with mental problems for so much of their lives. Congratulations Ros Morris for having the courage to write this measured and extremely well-written account of the reality of living with bipolar illness. Your son, though extremely unlucky in suffering from this disorder, is lucky to have you around to be a support to him. I hope others will find their way to your book and gain strength from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't wait for me, 5 July 2008
W. Lintin (UK) - See all my reviews
I opened the book and read till I finished it, crying as I immersed myself in the story. Such a powerful and moving description of the effect of this debilitating and misunderstood disease not only on Zach but on his family and friends. The book details the sense of bewilderment, growing frustrations and the impotence of dealing with an inadequate and chaotic care system. The inaccessibility to the level of support required by Zach at different times in his journey left me shocked. This book should be a compulsory read for all those working in mental health including policy makers.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Brilliant', 18 July 2008
Lynette Bridges (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I couldn't put this book down. A well written, compassionate and honest story told from the heart of a caring mother.
There isn't a bandage big enough to put on these hidden wounds, as anyone who has ever come into contact with mental illness and it's sufferers will testify. The Morris family need medals for their patience and for the strength of their family ties.
Ros makes us all realise that there but for the grace of God walks anyone of us. Read it, read it again and pass it on to everyone you know!

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly meaningful and important book, 8 Feb. 2012
Simon Harris (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This is such a well written and important book, meaningful on many levels especially to those in the same position as Ros and her family. For others going through the same issues this book can be helpful in many ways, essential reading and well thought out. It's a shining example of a mother's frustration at seeing the pain her son is going through in a situation like this. Highly recommended and one of the best books I have read in many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the book, 27 May 2013
Wow! Such an interesting and heartbreaking book, Ros you have done such an honest book it is so clear you have nothing but love for your son. I'm so sad all this happened, but thank you for having the courage to write about it and open my eyes to these issues.
A real page turner