5.0 out of 5 stars A great read
Published on 25 Nov 2009 by Crispin Latymer

3.0 out of 5 stars last man across the atlantic
what i expected from paul heiney good read but did get a little slow going ,but then crossing the atlantic in ayacht can at times be slow going
Published 6 months ago by John Horton

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 25 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Last Man Across the Atlantic (Paperback)
Paul Heiney completed the OSTAR the same year that I went solo transat. However, I went on what the author calls the 'girlie route' from the Canaries to Barbados rather than his much more northerly route. This book appeared shortly after I got back and I bought it to compare both trips and to see how much they had differed. All I can say is that I was totally engrossed from the begining as it brought back so many memories and emotions of my own trip. The author writes from considerable personal experience and, as a result, there is much in the book for soloist and short-handers alike. A great read, a very practical book and written with his usual understated sense of humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sailing Adventure Book for the Rest of Us, 14 Dec 2008
This review is from: The Last Man Across the Atlantic (Paperback)
If you have read about the adventures of Pete Goss and Ellen Macarthur and wondered in awe and admiration at their level of commitment and energy... and then felt exhausted and a little inadequate? Well then, this might be a book for you - it's the sailing adventure book for the rest of us.

I love this book and thank Paul for it each time I pick it up. He faces the challenge of crossing a big and scary ocean with honesty, humility and fruitcake! Self disparaging and at times emotional it a great read for a cold winters weekend by the fire.

Could we have and update? I would love to know how he feels now that time has passed and he has had time to reflect. Surely there are more adventures of 'Aiesha"?

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best sailing book I have read, 9 Mar 2010
Adrian Moss "hobgoblin" (Chichester Harbour) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Man Across the Atlantic (Paperback)
I have read lots of sailing books. I read little else. This compares with Sir Francis Chichester and Webb Chiles and their books are brilliant.

It takes the reader on the trip across the Atlantic exploring all the issues and concerns in a light hearted and humourous way.

It is highly entertaing and a must read for anyone who wishes to go long distance saling. If you wnat an adventure and would prefer tostay in front of the fite then this is also your book.

Paul, is an outstanding yachtsman. The great feature of the book is that he is not trying to win. For him the challenge is to do it. For most of us who yearn to go long distance sailing that is the point.

So how good is the book. Well in my mind it is exceptional. A must read.

Adrian

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, like the man himself, 22 May 2006
A terrific read, reflecting a terrific achievement. I would reccomend this book to anyone, regardless of whether they have an interest in sailing (I don't, and I enjoyed it immensely nevertheless). Uttlerly compelling.

4.0 out of 5 stars What is life without a sense of humour, Paul has one!, 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Last Man Across the Atlantic (Paperback)
Read it on a stormy crossing of the Irish sea, and even brought it home too. Nice to see someone with his glass half full.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do it for yourself!, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Last Man Across the Atlantic (Paperback)
Great thoughtful book from a man with the right perspectives! Winning is not the point - doing it, and how is.

3.0 out of 5 stars last man across the atlantic, 14 Feb 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Why did he bother?, 27 Aug 2012
Mike (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
I'll probably never sail across the Atlantic - single-handed or otherwise. This book seems to suggest that given a well built boat and a little bit of ingenuity anyone can do it. I suspect that the truth is sightly different. Paul seems to have spent most of his crossing hiding in the cabin of his boat, drinking cups of tea, and wondering why he was there. By the end of the voyage neither he nor the reader was any the wiser. On a practical note, the narrative keeps jumping forward and backward in time, which I found made the book awkward to read.

The Last Man Across the Atlantic
The Last Man Across the Atlantic by Paul Heiney (Paperback - 1 Jun 2006)
8.99