VINE VOICEon 23 February 2007
Dave Mackay had the very rare combination of being a natural hard man of football but could produce ball playing skills more suited to the usual lightweight players. He could deliver a pass from all angles of the field and could also put his foot on the ball. His exploits with Hearts, Spurs & Scotland are well documented but it is really amazing to take stock that on the eve of him finishing as a player after recovering from a twice broken leg he was persuaded to carry on a little bit longer by the enigmatic Brian Clough. This decision not only aspired the hailing Derby County to win promotion and then go on to win the Championship it also brought Dave a Footballer of the year award which he shared with Manchester City captain Tony Book in 1969. Dave then managed Derby County , Helping them to another League Championship in 1974-75. When I pick any all time teams His is the first name to go on the team sheet the all round player who happens to be the bravest as well. Check this book out it is an inspiring read.
on 4 March 2012
I've been a Spurs fan since I was about 10 years old (1960). This is a great read about one of my all time hero's, Dave Mackay. I would urge any football fan to buy it and learn more about the man, a true gentleman of our beloved game, and an inspiration to us all.
Unknowingly until a few months ago, I now find myself living in the same village as him, how special do you think I feel about that?
I now have to summon up the courage to knock on his door and ask him to sign the book.
on 26 September 2012
I can thoroughly recommend this book which only emphasizes the difference between real footballers and today's shabby excuses for footballers. If you were a Spurs fan and can remember "the Real Mackay" at White Hart Lane buy this and enjoy. The whole story of Dave Mackay, not just at Tottenham, is a treat.
on 8 June 2011
I really got this book for the Derby / Clough years. I loved it when cloughie got him to sign for rams and how he did it and how he sold tatty old derby to DM. Brilliant. Then of course how he became top man at baseball ground., and later top manager at Derby. Good stuff. What a chap.
on 30 July 2013
Great story of an outstanding player of the 1960s Spurs team. The story for an old Spurs is very good, it is a bit of a list of events in Mackay's life but still very well worth a read. - Obviously lots of background and information which added to my admiration of Big Mac!
on 22 February 2013
great player
fab book
on 14 May 2013
Bought for my Dad for Christmas, He seemed to enjoy reading it and passed onto my Uncle to read as both Hearts fans.
on 9 January 2016
A top read, not reviewed till now as I hadn't looked at it , written in the style Mackay played, hard and honest.
on 4 December 2014
A very good insight to a footballing hero, particularly strong on his early life
on 17 April 2015
Impossible to add to anything that's been said before. The man was special.