5.0 out of 5 stars Treats You Like A Professional
Published 5 months ago by ThinkerBoy

2.0 out of 5 stars an offering with little practical advice
Published 20 months ago by Learning expert

5.0 out of 5 stars Treats You Like A Professional, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Full on Learning; Involve me and I'll understand (Paperback)
This'll inspire and energize, and may just recharge you if you've lost your way a bit. A ‘done with’ not a ‘done to’ resource. If you’re after a series of photocopiable lesson plans, look elsewhere; if you want a guru to make all your classroom challenges go away, it’s the next shelf down. But if you want to make learning more relevant using a clear and visual text, to explore the principles behind effective teaching and make them you own, get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Educators, 20 Nov 2012
Alex Quigley (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is beautiful as it is useful. Bursting with ideas, each chapter requires deep thought and a bagful of notes to track the great ideas. Rarely in educational literature has an author spanned so much breath of pedagogy and ideas with so much precision and skill. A must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Oct 2012
A fantastic book filled with inspiration. Beautifully presented and full of practical information. Would you rather .... A fantastic idea to get a group thinking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now That's What I Call A Teaching & Learning Book, 21 Aug 2012
M. Anderson (UK) - See all my reviews
I don't often write reviews of purchases, in fact, I believe this is my first one, however I felt compelled to write about 'Full on learning' by Zoe Elder.

What I love about this book is that it is cram packed full of sound teaching and learning ideas that you can take straight in to the classroom. It pulls everything together, makes everything coherent giving great examples too, and gives you the references to go off and research/read more in the areas you're particularly interested in.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 8 Mar 2013
Super clear and highly recommended. A book all teachers should buy and use. So many great ideas and things to try.

2.0 out of 5 stars an offering with little practical advice, 6 Jan 2013
I bought this book as part of review of several text books on 'research based approaches' to teaching. This was the least useful book out of 7. I have read it cover to cover and can't feel anything but disappointed. While it contains a lot of interesting theory - available in more accessible formats elsewhere - the book fails to offer useful techniques or strategies to help teachers.

I do like the design of the book, and it really feels like it should be exciting.

I would suggest any teachers really wanting useful, practical advice (also backed up with research) to look at 'Engaging Learners' - Andy Griffith & Mark Burns or 'How to teach' - Phil Beadle.

Both books have helped me move towards a research-based active learning style.

I'd also recommend 'The Perfect Ofsted Lesson: 2012' as a very useful update and recap to help focus teaching onto Ofsted requirements. When all is said and done the Ofsted criteria really do support research-based learning.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read with admirable message, 19 Aug 2012
Having read books by Claxton, Dweck, Clarke etc I felt this book very much shares the same messages. Intelligence is not fixed and all children can achieve. The book is broken down into what different learning characteristics the author sees as being imoortant and these are explored in different chapters, reminding me a bit of Claxton and his learning traits (resourcefulness, reciprocal etc). There are some good practical tips and always nice to read an optimistic view of teaching, but on the whole I had heard a lot of this already. A good book for those looking to improve their teaching or new to the job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good principles, 1 Mar 2013
Mr. P. A. James "PJ37" (Wigmore UK) - See all my reviews
I haven't read the whole of this yet, but dipping into this has been good. It will help you develop alternative teaching styles.

1.0 out of 5 stars Over 60,000 words and it shows., 13 Oct 2013
K. Rimmer - See all my reviews
Very disappointed - ironic that the introduction criticises academic texts that are verbose for the sake of it. Many simple ideas for the classroom are gathered (nothing revolutionary - I assumed all educators knew how important it was to nurture curiosity?) and very basic ideas are expressed in a prolix writing style.

Full on Learning; Involve me and I'll understand
Full on Learning; Involve me and I'll understand by Zoe Elder (Paperback - 31 July 2012)