5.0 out of 5 stars Give up drinking easily
Published on 3 Oct 2006 by booklover 17

2.0 out of 5 stars the euphoria just wore off..
If I had rated this book as soon as I had finished it, it would have got 5 stars, 10 if possible. However 6 weeks later, and while I have not had a drink, I can only give it 2. Why? I think the answer will be obvious and I hope it resonates with some people if only to make me feel better! Simply put the euphoria just wore off.... and I don't kow why. The idea that...
Published on 17 Nov 2011 by Kats76

5.0 out of 5 stars Give up drinking easily, 3 Oct 2006
booklover 17 (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I haven't quite finished reading this book, but it has already stopped me from drinking. I can't see any reason why I would want to drink any longer. Jason gives very compelling reasons why drinking is not a good thing, and the damage it actually does to your body and mind. Why most people who drink don't think that they are actually addicted. Great reading, in Jason's usual fun style. It has changed my total perspective on alcohol, even though I wasn't thinking of giving up totally, when I bought this book. I just wanted to cut down. Now I realise that it is very difficult to do this, and that I would be better off just stopping and not giving into this drug at all! Thanks Jase you have changed my life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 30 Nov 2012
I bought this book 6 months ago and got most of the way through it - did about 10 days off the booze and then succumbed to temptation.

I'm not a huge drinker - maybe 3-4 beers a night, more on a weekend, holiday, celebration etc. it's a bad habit. I'm sick of waking up feeling lousy in the morning, struggling through the day waiting for 6pm so I can have a beer to feel normal again for a few hours before going to sleep. Which brings me onto another dislike with alcohol - 4 beers sends me to sleep. So if I start at 6pm then by 8.45 I'll be falling asleep on the sofa. Obviously if I start earlier at the weekend, I might fit a few more beers in but still fall asleep maybe even earlier than this. I'm bored of not being able to remember what I saw on tv the previous night, making a fool of myself on the phone or in front of my wife and general self loathing.

So, I decided to give the book another go. I didn't follow the instructions exactly because it advises you to keep drinking to the end of the book and I just stopped. I read the book cover to cover inside 2 days whilst on annual leave from work. That was 28 days ago, and no booze since.

The first week or so was hard work; not so much physical pain or anything like that but thinking about booze A LOT. The book really helps with this though because it teaches you how to think differently about alcohol. You get a desire and immediately counter it. The basic premise of the book is that everything we've come to accept about alcohol is a lie and everything it promises you is false. Without these techniques I'd never have made it through the initial difficult period.

The good news is that after the first week or so, it gets much, much easier. I barely think about booze during the day, and at night - well I do think of it sometimes but not in the sense of wanting it. I've been out for meals with friends or family in the evening and driven home with a smile all over my face.

I find myself being much more productive. I get up early for the gym. I remember my evenings. I feel great all the time. I haven't dieted but in a month I've lost 8 pounds in weight. I've saved LOTS of money and my self respect is at an all time high.

There is a downside but only a small one. I do occasionally have a slight sense of loss when I pass the alcohol aisle in the supermarket or when I see friends drinking. Not that I want to drink, but it was always my treat at the end of the day and now I don't do that. I find myself developing other rewards - for example I've become very fond of a bowl of ice cream about 9pm! The feelings of loss are reducing in intensity as time goes by. Also, you sometimes smell other people's alcoholic drinks and feel quite nauseous.

The strangest thing of all is that occasionally I have a dream that I've been drinking and when I wake up I feel disappointed in myself, until I realise it was only a dream.

So - the question you'll be asking yourself is whether to buy this book. Absolute 100% yes. You can stop drinking with this book if you have the will to do so. And if it doesn't work for you, you'll have spent a fiver on the book but saved at least that with a few days off the booze.

Buy it - it's life changing.

2 MONTH CHECK IN

Still sticking with it and its definitely getting even easier after 2 months without a drink. Had a completely dry Christmas and New Year - not a single hangover which is fantastic and unheard of.

Booze doesn't have nearly as much hold of me as it once did. I still think about it but not nearly as much as I did. On the rare occasions when I get a craving I try to isolate what is causing the craving and read the appropriate chapter of the book. It's quite comforting to do that. I'm also going to do some work on some things causing the odd craving which aren't directly dealt with in the book. The great thing about the book is that once you understand the principles you can apply them further. So for example, I realised that champagne parties before Christmas were an issue as I felt I was missing out on the sophistication. With the tools that the book has taught me, I have changed that bit of mental software so I now realise it is me being sophisticated by not drinking.

The weight continues to come off me - and even Christmas week when I ate for England I didn't put any on!

This book was the best five or six quid I've ever spent.

3 MONTH CHECK IN - 3 Feb 2013

Still no booze. Weight loss has plateaued at about a stone and a half. I have a 6 pack for the first time of my life with all the weight lost. I got to the end of January and had money left in the bank because I didn't waste money on booze.

Alcohol no longer has a hold on me. Not drinking now seems completely natural.

The only issues are what to drink when out (a lot of soft drinks are sickly) and that I find formal dinners where previously I would have drunk alcohol are very boring. I'm sure they were boring before just I was anaesthetised.

My life is infinitely better as a result of this book.

I'll check in again about the 6 month mark.

6 MONTH CHECK IN

Still working for me. I've had a few occasions where I've thought it might be fun to have a drink; the book says no willpower required...I think there is a small amount required because you have to choose to direct your mind and think in a particular way. I've done something which has really worked well for me. I have spent about 15 hours reading the book out loud and recording it on my computer. I used iTunes to convert it to an audiobook format and now listen to it on my phone for half an hour in the morning when exercising. Getting a daily dose of the 'medicine' definitely helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars One year sober, 14 July 2012
R.Over (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kick the Drink. . .Easily! (Paperback)
Firstly, I don't want to say this book works, I'm not sure if it does, it is only four weeks since I finished reading and I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since, so I don't want to speak too soon and jinx myself.

I initially purchased the book as I kept toying with the idea of giving up drinking. I knew it wasn't good for me and I was getting far too dependent on alcohol. I do shift-work and sleep at different hours from week to week, so I needed alcohol to help me relax and get to sleep.. Or so I thought.

I also drank on my nights off, I would really look forward to it, a full litre bottle of wine or eight cans of lager went down very easily. So I cut down and thought that half a litre of wine or four cans would be better, course it was, but when you add up how many litres or cans you have had that week, it is still a lot.

My last drink was a glass of wine whilst I was about a third through this book. As Jason Vale describes the negative effects of alcohol and the negative effect is has on your body, your finances and your family life, it makes you think back to all the times when you had a disgusting hangover, an empty wallet and those things you regret saying or doing to loved ones.

Skimming through my partner's Allen Carr's 'Stop Smoking' book, I realise that Jason has taken a lot of the theories from that and both books are very repetitive, something that Vale points out at the beginning of the book and he doesn't apologise for being so. I guess it is all well and good, but I nearly skimmed through these paragraphs many times, there are only so many times that I want to read about bananas and children pouring themselves a whisky.

It is advised you read this book with an open-mind and I recommend that you do. I don't think the book will make every reader quit drinking for good, if you are like my partner, she has given up on reading her Allen Carr book and is still smoking, because she got bored with the repetitiveness, but with this book, I read it to the end and as I said before, I'm four weeks sober, sleeping better, working hard at the gym and overall I'm very happy.

UPDATE 30/12/2012:-

It's New Years Eve tomorrow, every single one of my friends and family will be consuming alcohol, except for my partner and I (She's not tee-total, just very rarely drinks).

It's now over six months since I drank my last drop of alcohol and I can honestly and truthfully say it HAS been easy, a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I understand a lot of people won't find it as easy though and I just hope they can pick up Jason's book and at least give it a try.

In this time, I have lost my beer-belly. After a couple of months in the gym, it just vanished and my stomach is now nice and firm. Just working on the six-pack now!
I wake up each day feeling pretty good. No more sluggish hang-overs and reeking of stale ale and wine. My skin has improved and I don't look as tired anymore. People have thrown a few compliments my way.
I have also been told I'm a much nicer person when I am sober and also not hung-over, This just spurs me on to stay sober.

I often come on Amazon just to read the reviews of this book. I love to see so many people going for it and kicking alcohol in to touch.

I dreaded the thought of kicking the booze before I bought the book, and I can't say anything more than it being the best six pounds I have ever spent. It has saved me hundreds of pounds already!

LAST UPDATE 14/6/13 :-

This is my final update. It is exactly one year today that I had my last glass of wine, my last drop of alcohol.
Yes, there has been times where I have had a craving for a cold beer or glass of wine, but these cravings are similar to what ex-smokers go through with cigarettes.

I have done this with a lot of willpower and courage, but thanks to Jason Vale's book for planting the seed in my head.

On a final note, Good luck to anyone who buys this book, I hope you can also kick the drink easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works! I can live again!, 16 July 2012
This review is from: Kick the Drink. . .Easily! (Paperback)
Having quit smoking with Allen Carr's book "Easyway", I wondered whether a similar approach would work for my binge drinking. And this book has worked for me! I'm so excited about my future free from alcohol. I've already been in several situations where I would normally have drunk, and I just didn't want to, the appeal has gone and I feel like how I was before I got hooked in the first place. I now see drinking in a totally different light, and once you do there is no sacrifice in quitting; only relief!

If you're tired of being controlled by alcohol and are fed up with it weighing you down, and wonder if life could possibly be better without it, read this book. If you open your mind and are willing to see drinking from a new angle (the true one), and are prepared to undo the extensive brainwashing that our culture has given you from birth, then you will be amazed and surprised at how easy it is to let alcohol go forever.

We are lead to believe quiting alcohol is hard. It isn't, you just need to spend a little time undoing the lies you've believed for so long. Life is infinitely better without alcohol and it's a joyful experience letting it go!

I can't recommend this book enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars From heavy drinker to non drinker!, 11 Nov 2013
I'll start by saying I LOVED drinking, I couldn't wait to get home and pour myself a very large cold glass of wine every night. I didn't want to quit, but I knew I needed to cut down for my mental and physical health so I bought this book in a vague attempt to cut down (a little).

I read this book 2 months ago and before I'd finished the last page I never wanted to drink again and I haven't touched a drop since. Now granted, 2 months isn't long, but for me it's pretty much amazing! I was regularly getting through 1-2 bottles of wine a night and don't get me started on how much I was drinking at weekends! On one particularly busy week I totted up my units and they were around the 120 mark! (rather than the recommended 14 per week for women).

I'll not repeat what everyone else has said, but for me personally it's resulted in better moods, better mental health, no smoking at all (I would only smoke when drinking), more energy, better sleep, better lifestyle choices, more money, I've lost weight and somehow, I feel like I have more TIME. I've started doing other things with my life other than filling it with numb comotose hours!

I can't recommend this book enough, I never want to drink again! My life is so much better since kicking the booze.

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked!, 30 Nov 2009
Karen Boxall "Karen" (Buckhurst Hill, Essex, England) - See all my reviews
I used to drink a couple of glasses of wine each day with a bit more at the weekend and social events. The book is very easy to read and is written in a 'brain washing' style. It worked, I haven't drunk alcohol since the day I read the book, i.e. 19th July, it's now 30th Nov. The interesting part is other people's reactions, it would almost be easier to drink alcohol to fit in (especially in the beginning until people accept your decision) but the book gives you the strength to be your own person and do what you want.
I would certainly recommend it.
Prior to reading this, in June '09 read 'The Simple Way To Stop Eating Chocolate' also by Jason Vale, I haven't fancied and chocolate since then. Not many vices left now!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 21 Jan 2007
Rachel (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book. I didn't feel a compulsion to give up alcohol when I started reading it - I only read it really because I have several other of Jason Vale's books and was interested to hear what he had to say on this subject.

Before reading this book I would have described myself as a 'social drinker' ( a glass or two of wine most nights, lots more on a big night), although I have drunk significantly less than I used to over the last 4 years, having been either pregnant or breastfeeding 2 children! My main motivation for reading the book was to lose weight by cutting down on alcohol.

However, I was fascinated by Jason's assertion that there is no such thing as an alcoholic and that everyone who drinks alcohol is an 'alcohol addict'. Jason challenges the way that we view alcohol and the way that many people who consider themselves to be in control of their drinking simply aren't! As Jason points out, if someone said that they only eat bananas after midday, they only eat so many a week and limit overdosing on bananas to the weekend you would surely assume that they have a problem with bananas (so why not with alcohol?)! As over 90% of the population drink alcohol it is considered 'normal' and we assume that anyone who is teetotal is not normal or must have had a problem in the past!

Jason finds many ways to challenge many of our long held perceptions or beliefs about alcohol. As I said earlier, I had no intention of giving up alcohol altogether when I started reading, but since finishing the book on Jan 2nd, I find that the last drink I had was on New Year's Eve and I have had absolutely no desire to touch a drop since! I have been to a couple of dinner parties and a black tie event since then (occasions where previously not drinking would have been inconceivable). My husband is incredulous, as are most of my friends. I must stress, I do not feel as though I am missing out, that I am 'on the wagon' etc, I simply DO NOT WANT to drink and feel absolutely free of all the control I had to exercise in the past (ie I won't have 1 til Friday, won't have more than 1/ a bottle of wine etc) - that's all gone!

Amazing book - open your mind!

5.0 out of 5 stars definetly worth a read, 18 Mar 2011
definetly worth a read. everyone even if you don't struggle with drink could do with reading this. i struggled with the read until the last few chapters because of his style of writing and as one previous reviewer mentioned his trying to make you see black as white.

That said I stuck with it and the last few chapters were entertaining and he is correct in a lot of what he says. I haven't drank in a month now not that I should be counting! I stooped drinking just before I read this book and the book says don't stop until you read the book which I was worried about but each to their own I guess. I probably will take a drink sometime again but I cant see myself drinking like I used to which was every day.

I was doing myself a lot of damage health wise and glad I have put that behind me and finding this book played a part in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop Drinking Easily 4 Life, 4 July 2004
By A Customer
I have been aware of my excessive drinking for a longtime and have tried relentlessly to cut back, abstain, etc. I have to admit the fact that I searched out a suitable book showed desire, but I feared giving up. It took a while to receive this book and I haven't finished it but I already stopped drinking and have no fear about how I will handle situations where I would normally drink. I gave up smoking 8 months ago and I knew the day I gave up I would succeed. This book has given me the same feeling. If this is how I feel before I finish the book I am sure it can only get better... Thank you Jason Vale

5.0 out of 5 stars Drunk, hungover, anxiety from drink....I never have to feel like that again., 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: Kick the Drink. . .Easily! (Paperback)
This is my first ever review. I bought this book wanting to "cut down" I never wanted to stop drinking, in fact I could not imagine my life without alcohol the thought of never having a drink again scared me to bits. It was a relief when in the early part of the book the fear of giving up was addressed and that kept me reading.
I was a proper drinker, started in my teens, binged through those early years and continued through my 30's I loved the pubs, I loved the booze. I met my husband in a bar where he was a resident musician and loved the drink also. We had years of late nights, lock in's, dinner's that went to the early hours and although it was great fun we both questioned how much we were drinking. I often left pubs not remembering quite how I got home, the hangover's were getting worse and the anxiety about my drinking and behaviour was growing. As a health professional I also worried a great deal about what I was doing to my body. Like so many people I functioned at work and did not drink the night before shifts but boy did I make up for it on my time off.
I read this book over a 3 month period and kept drinking while reading it, but as I moved through the book I did a lot of thinking. I realised I was addicted to alcohol and that I was not going to "cut down" I was going to stop. I have not had a drink for just shy of 6 months, and I have an amazing sense of freedom. I am still going to the pub, I don't mind being with people who are drinking, I just didn't have the off switch, so it's not for me. I have gained so much, I am far more sociable when I am out, and still have a great time and the bonus is, (well theres lots of them) no hangover's. There has been the odd occasion when I have felt like a drink but these are fewer as the months go by. I just don't see any benefits from drinking now. My husband read the book and stopped drinking a couple of weeks after me so we have been able to support each other. The sense of freedom and the feeling of relief I have when I see people drunk and hungover is amazing. I say to myself I NEVER have to feel like that again. If you are questioning your drinking, I urge you to read this book and hope you have the same result as us. Also read Simon 77's review.

Kick the Drink. . .Easily!
Kick the Drink. . .Easily! by Jason Vale (Paperback - 20 Mar 2011)
6.99