5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking!, 12 Feb 2011
This review is from: From High Places: A Journey through Ireland's Great Mountain (Paperback)
I am also a photographer, so it is difficult to impress me with photographs. However, Adrian does more than impress - he transports. The photographs he takes are sublime and magical, and take you to the places he has taken them, capturing the mood, the area and the delight all at once. This book is WELL worth the purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving High Places, 10 Feb 2011
I knew there were mountains in Ireland. I have driven through the Wexford hills; I have marveled at the mountain scenery in Kerry, and I knew from childhood that "The Mountains of Mourne flow down to the Sea", but I wasn't drawn to the Irish mountains as places to walk and climb. Now I have read "From High Places" I have changed my thinking.

Adrian Hendroff's beautiful book does for the mountains of Ireland what the romantic poets did for the English Lakes. He has sung their praises and made them objects of desire. He has shown them to be attractive, challenging and eminently walkable. "From High Places" is not so much a travel book as a love story, written by someone who is deeply devoted to the high places of Ireland.

"From High Places" is not a book for carrying in your rucksack, but placing on the coffee table so everyone who spots it can see the beauty they are missing. It is a highly visual book, with many evocative scenes captured by the author's own camera and stunningly presented on the page. And the word-pictures match that quality and provoke in the reader a longing to see those secret ridges and valleys. These are places of history; places of beauty; and places of scenic wonder.

"From High Places" has changed my perception of Ireland's mountains and will force me to put on my boots and take to the hills next time I am in Ireland.

Derrick Phillips

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift idea or just treat yourself!, 25 Feb 2011
I bought 'From High Places' for my partner for Christmas 10', we do a good deal of mountain and hill walking. I would highly recommend this book for anyone who loves beautiful scenery, the photos are really clear and it has lots of interesting information on the areas covered, a lot of books out there on mountains just have photos. Venturing out somewhere I haven't been before, it's helpful to know what the terrain might be like. It's given me a better insight into the 'Reeks', which we have to do soon though they still look scary as hell!!

5.0 out of 5 stars High praise for High Places, 6 Jan 2011
This is a beautiful book, capturing the wild spirit of the Irish mountains in rich text and glorious pictures. Adrian has visited all of Irelands High Places and his personal travel tales combine with meticulous research on history, geology and folklore to paint a fascinating picture of mountain after mountain. The pictures are big and bold giving a real feel for the texture, colour, size and variety of Irelands mountains - you are drawn into the book in an almost Narnian way.

The chapters look at the different mountain areas of Ireland and is a joy to start at the beginning and follow to the end or to quickly flick through before settling on a favourite mountain area.

A welcome addition to the numerous drab guidebooks detailing walks through the Irish hills - this will bring many of those other books to life!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'From High Places' sets high standards, 3 Jan 2011
Anyone expecting a walking guide to the high mountains of Ireland will be sorely disappointed. This is no mere route guide with grid references and descriptions of the terrain etc. This is a photographic celebration of the magic of the high places of the emerald isle from the Glens of Antrim to the Beara Penisula and virtually everything else in between. Superb photography, coupled with Hendroff's meticulous research into the history and culture of each mountainous area he covers, makes 'From High Places' a must have not only for those who love hiking the hills and mountains of Ireland but anyone who appreciates the magnificent scenery of the place, mountains and views that even the IMF and the banks can't diminish.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Praise for High Places, 14 Nov 2012
This is a beautiful book. It is not a route guide. There are no detailed maps or co-ordinates for your GPS. What it offers is a collection of very fine mountain photographs. It also includes some top class writing. This is a wonderful book for a dark winters evening, the sort of evening shortened by the memory of great days on the hills. I live in Ireland and have climbed in about half of the areas described by the author. I'm itching to start climbing in the others. The book would make a fine gift for any hillwalker or mountaineer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adrian Hendroff captures the magic we see, 17 Nov 2011
I live in West Cork and I spend a lot of time on the mountains along the Beara Peninusula and the McGillycuddy Reeks. Every time I'm on the mountains I see many beautiful and magical landscapes that I've been unable to capture with my camera. Somehow Adrian has managed to capture the atmosphere, beauty and magic of these wonderful places. It is by far the most informative and beautiful publication I've read to date on the mountains of Ireland

From High Places: A Journey through Ireland's Great Mountain
From High Places: A Journey through Ireland's Great Mountain by Adrian Hendroff (Paperback - 1 Oct 2010)