5.0 out of 5 stars An essay on teapots?
Published on 11 Jan. 2010 by P. Topham

2.0 out of 5 stars I find it very boring and cannot get into it
I cannot read this book at all. I find it very boring and cannot get into it. After 'Three men in a boat' I thought I am the biggest fan of JKJ. But this one made me reconsider.
Published 7 months ago by Moira

5.0 out of 5 stars An essay on teapots?, 11 Jan. 2010
P. Topham - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diary of a Pilgrimage (Nonsuch Classics) (Paperback)
I was lucky enough to recieve a verson of this book dating from before 1912! I am by no means well read, or pretend to be, but Jerome speaks to me from beyond the grave in such a timeless fashion that still leaves me in creases; I will always recommend him. The simple premise of writing an essay on clocks or tea kettles I find hilarious on its own. Where does one start with such a subject let alone make it interesting? Well, If humour be the food of love, read on. His sense of humor is very warm and apart from the odd noun its easy to forget how long ago it was written which impresses me. Alas, I am no fit judge of the writing style, I can rarely sustain a whole book - all those pages! So maybe that speaks for its self in that it is one of a select few that I have read cover to cover, a noble feat! Most books fail around page 19. I know what I like and well written or not this is it.

Why not try the thoughts of an idle fellow too?

5.0 out of 5 stars so enjoyable, 18 April 2009
This review is from: Diary of a Pilgrimage (Nonsuch Classics) (Paperback)
i love this book, equally to 3 men in a boat..describes jerome and his friend going to see the passion play in germany...well, more the getting there than anything...and is so humorous and enjoyable as it appears to take weeks and neither seem to be able to be understood by anyone foreign (especially when ordering omelettes) and it is just perfect..highly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic JKJ, 14 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Diary of a Pilgrimage (Nonsuch Classics) (Paperback)
JKJ genius. Some of his best writing.

Not all of his work, like his contemporaries, can now be captured/dramatized in period theme stories on film and, therefore, must be read.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping!, 21 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Diary of a Pilgrimage (Nonsuch Classics) (Paperback)
I enjoyed the book really much! the plot is exciting, the language rich and the style of Jerome is inimitable! and illustrations, btw are really nice! funny and enjoyable!

5.0 out of 5 stars England's Mark Twain, 12 Aug. 2012
The majority of the reading public should be charged with Criminal Neglect for failing to recognise Jerome K Jerome's literary talent. His nearest contemporary, Mark Twain, is widely lauded the world over, and yet we ignore the English alternative.
JKJ has a gentle, meandering style that soothes and entertains. His observations- often self-deprecating- are spot-on, and paint a wonderful picture of Life around the turn of the century.
This particular book is a rambling, loose-limbed saunter across Germany, and although you wouldn't want to use it as a travel guide today it does make for a wonderful, charasmatic read.
What's more, it's FREE, and so are all his other works! Read it, read the others, and spread the word!

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like 'Three Men in a Boat' then you will like ..., 14 Mar. 2015
Although the humour is somewhat dated, there are still passages that make you laugh out loud. Jerome's meditation on the passion play, in a rather more serious mood, makes some valid theological points (in my opinion). His national stereotyping jars a little for the 21st century reader but overall it is an enjoyable read. If you like 'Three Men in a Boat' then you will like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars J.K.J. A hdden masterpiece, 6 July 2013
I was not ware of the existence of this book until I searched on Amazon. Having already read Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on The Bummel I could not imagine that there could be another comic masterpiece from JKJ to be in existence. How wrong was I, he has in this book surpassed himself. Laugh out loud on every page as you travel with J and his friend across Germany. The most delightful thing is that even though this is a book written in the now presumed "dark ages" we can all relate to the trials an tribulations faced by this hapless pair as they meander across foreign lands, with J. trying out his knowledge of languages on the bemused and confused locals.
It is a triumph and I cannot recommend it too highly

4.0 out of 5 stars Every bit as good as 3 men in a boat, 20 Feb. 2013
Very funny, but with some serious contemplative passages on scenery, the nature of man and the famous passion play.

I'd recommend it thoroughly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb narrating makes this audio version a sheer pleasure, 23 Mar. 2014
Mrs "Joy" (NORWICH, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Mysteriously neglected, this novel is beautifully constructed, with ample flashes of Jerome's inimitable humour combined with a touching regard for the purpose of the Pilgrimage. Deftly narrated by the marvellous Philip Bird. in short, a first class passage to Oberammergau! Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars I find it very boring and cannot get into it, 2 Sept. 2014

Diary of a Pilgrimage (Nonsuch Classics)
Diary of a Pilgrimage (Nonsuch Classics) by Jerome K Jerome (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01