5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing read even if it's not your first puppy, 12 Aug 2012
This review is from: Life Skills for Puppies: Laying the foundation for a loving, lasting relationship (Paperback)
I was given a timely copy of this book just before my puppy arrived home - my fourth in 20 years. Over that time how our relationships our dogs has changed - especially as regards puppy training books. It's 6 years since I last had a puppy and this was a great reminder of the 10 most important things I need to do with my new puppy in order for him to become the fantastic dog my 6 year old has become. I read it through once to get an idea of what 'Life Skills' were covered, and whenever I want to work on one of the skills, I go back to the book and see what it advises - it's particularly good at giving instructions on how to get started with each skill - especially loose lead walking! - with beautiful photographs giving a clear picture of what your puppy is feeling, so you know what his/her body language is telling you. I take it everywhere with me because you never know when an opportunity to train will present itself!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for any new or existing dog owner - not just for puppies, 22 Jun 2012
This is a great book written in simple laymans terms. It's content would suit any dog owner and will help them to learn how they can not only bring their dog up but also understand the needs that every dog has and how these needs can be met. There will be a lot less frustrated dogs out there now that this book has been published.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all dog owners, 19 Sep 2012
Claire Nicholls (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a superb little book. It is easy to read and gives an insight into how your puppy would like to be treated as they are growing up. The idea is to give 10 basic life skills that will help your dog to understand the world and to enjoy life to the full. From 'I like to be touched' to 'I have the right to be a dog', this is a wish-list for all our canine friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 16 Dec 2012
This book is one of the most important that has been written for owners of puppies recently. It accessible, factual and based on sound scientific principles and the experience of two of the most experienced veterinary behaviourists in the world.

It is clear and easy to follow and wonderfully enlightening. Read it all - including Jean Donaldson's intro and then read it again. It's a must for trainers, behaviourists and puppy owners. Buy it and give it to your puppy owning friends! It has the ability to change how people view their dogs and help them towards a happy, co-operative relationship.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vet recomended, 30 Oct 2013
bennieblue (Cardiff South Wales) - See all my reviews
This book was recommended by my vet. A good book if you have never had a dog. I have had dogs before and found a lot in it common sense. However it did have some interesting ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Should be Recommended Reading!, 25 Jan 2014
S. Tatters (Cumbria) - See all my reviews
While I've never had a true puppy (~7 - 16 weeks) of my own, I have knowledge and experience of and with puppies, and young dogs who haven't had the best start in life. I bought this book as I'm attending Helen's 'Life Skills for Puppies' seminar. Obviously the title gives an overview of the contents, but beyond that I wasn't sure what to expect.

It has some great information for all puppy owners, be it in the form of new information or reminders for those who maybe feel the need for a "brush up" for a new addition after a 'puppy break', I also think the suggestion to record-keep is inspired! I started keeping my own records for one of my dogs recently and I don't know why I didn't start sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference, 15 Dec 2013
Dominic Handy (Welshpool, Powys United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Covers everything you need to know when a new pup joins your life. Easy to follow and still a constant source of information months after our puppy arrived.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book to help with your puppy!, 12 Nov 2013
Good book to help you understand your puppy more and to help it learn how to think and fend for itself alongside the training you do with it. Very helpful and open your eyes to life as a dog!

5.0 out of 5 stars Every new puppy owner should read this, 24 July 2013
Best book for puppy owners a lil bit of a manual on how too filled with loads of ways to have fun and interact with your puppy whilst helping them grow into happy confident loving pets

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for anyone considering getting a puppy., 21 July 2013
This is probably one of the best books i've read for anyone thinking of getting a puppy or for anyone who has a young puppy and wants to make sure they do the right thinks to ensure a long, loving and hopefully, problem free relationship.

ARRAY(0xae41fe34)