5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, bring on volume 2!
Can't fully agree with Nick Hydra. Sort of agree about the cast & crew bits, which could get a bit tedious, but still had items of interest.

Published on 7 Jun 2010 by Mr. Stephen Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the beginner.
My girlfriend got me this as a present, and I'd seen it on Amazon few times and thought "Maybe not...", as I thought it probably wouldn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

Published on 8 Mar 2010 by Nick Hydra

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, bring on volume 2!, 7 Jun 2010
This review is from: Silver Scream: Pt. 1: 40 Classic Horror Movies 1920-1941 (Paperback)

But the book itself did its job - it made me watch some films again, it made me buy most of the ones I didn't have (not many, actually), but was most useful in allowing me to work out which would be the best copies of those films to buy.

I hadn't realised the DVD of "House of Wax" (no, not that one, the real one with Vincent) also had "Mystery of the Wax Museum" complete as an extra until I read about it here. (Order placed instantly.)

Despite having been a fan of these films all my life (well, from the age of 10 on when Dad bought me an issue of FMoF), and having a large collection of mags & books, it was an entertaining addition to the library, and I'm up for V.2!

5.0 out of 5 stars The book I wish I had written, 16 Feb 2013
Silver Scream Parts 1 & 2 are the finest books about Classic Horror you can buy. The last few years I dug real deep into the world of the great scary movies of the twenties, thirties and forties and I wish I had written Silver Scream. Part 1 contains the most famous films and it's fine to read background stories not only about the stars (Chaney, Lugosi, Karloff) but also about the directors, cameramen and lesser know but very important actors like Dwight Frye and the still underrated Lionel Atwill. I can agree with most of Hill's reviews and ratings, and it's a nice touch that he also asked three other critics to give their opinion. I totally agree with Hill that Mad Love, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and Island Of Lost Souls belong to the highlights of the golden era, but I feel his adoration for Doctor X is a bit overrated. I only missed a handful extra German/European silent movies like Waxworks, Dr.Mabuse, Häxan and Korkärlen. Overall a great book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the beginner., 8 Mar 2010

I was mostly right, but partially wrong; there's a lot a things that anyone with a passing interest in classic horror will already know, but there's a lot of stuff that I didn't know or had forgotten. I'd never heard of 'The Walking Dead', but I now intend to see it ASAP.

I'm not sure how useful the detailed biogrophies of the crew are unless you're a serious student of film (which I'm not), and I skipped most of these. It's nice to read something by someone who's enthusiastic about these films, but sometimes a bit of reigning in might have been better. The 'another prespective' are not that intersesting as they're not long enough and seem to be written by people who are intesrested in film purely as entertainment (nothing wrong with that, but it would have been better to have someone with an interset in films of this period, but not this particular genre; or vice versa).

The trivia sections are diverting, but the 'Goofs' are pointless. Do I need to know about continuity errors unless they really effect your enjoyment of the film? Well, no I don't.

Still it made me want to see 'Jekyll and Hyde' and 'Dr X' again.

I'm still not sure who this is aimed at, but if you're going on a long train journey, and you have are interest in this period of horror films, but aren't a sad fan-boy you could do worse.

Silver Scream: Pt. 1: 40 Classic Horror Movies 1920-1941
Silver Scream: Pt. 1: 40 Classic Horror Movies 1920-1941 by Steven Warren Hill (Paperback - 16 Oct 2008)