5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect synopsis of the Batman/Joker relationship
I'm not sure where this story is supposed to fit in the greater Batman legend, but it pretty well sums up the relationship between Batman and the Joker, as well as providing some insights into their origins.
As usual, the Joker has escaped and gone on the rampage, but this time he has decided to take revenge on all the key characters that he believes have caused his...
Published on 1 Mar 2004 by C. Verspeak

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing execution and too short
I'd been recommended this by a lot of fans so felt I had to read it, and was looking forward to it with such great things said about it.
Unfortunately it really didn't live up to any of the hype. First of all, it's so short a story that it felt more like a 20 minute cartoon, with all the plot squeezed in and trimmed down, giving little time for any real...
Published 22 months ago by Liam Nicholson

‹ Previous | 112 13 14 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 28 July 2011
R. Martin "The Demon" (Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: The Killing Joke (Deluxe Edition) (Hardcover)
"Yeah, it was done while I was doing Watchmen, or just after or something, I'm not sure which but it was too close to Watchmen. I mean, Brian [Bolland] did a wonderful job on the art but I don't think it's a very good book. It's not saying anything very interesting." Alan Moore

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but nothing special, 3 Aug 2008
This review is from: Batman: The Killing Joke (Deluxe Edition) (Hardcover)
I have to say, as someone trying to get into comics for a while , I was let down by this graphic novel. The dialogue was well written, it was just that the story's arc was so sharp. Everything happened at double speed, which may be comic style, so it was hard to be taken in by or invest any emotion in the characters. When certain things happen in the story that should be shocking, I was not that moved or bothered what the outcome on the next page would be. For a story like this to be told with real success it must be at least double the length.

The Joker's origin story is also very poor in my opinion. The execution is too fast and leaves you scoffing and the final few panels. The only thing that saves this particular problem is he beautiful illustration that accompanies the final reveal., even then it feels rushed at best.

All in all I would say it is a good graphic novel but nothing more. If like me you are looking for an interesting first step the comic world, I would look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gawd man!, 18 Jan 2014
This book is true, unbearable torture. It struck boring dread into the heart of the innocent buyer, however, they ploughed on... but the twist never came...

When people say, The clue is in the name, well, they're right. This book really was a killing joke. I was half dead by the second page and, i was thinking of what a dull joke this comic is. ...not to mention the disturbingly, gross, weird, childish, unimaginatively lifelessly boring illustrations. A rip off. Yes, you may be wondering why i am one of the only reviewers being negative, but i shall stand close to my opinion and will never give in to the rest of the reviewers, saying this piece of scribble is good. Because face it, people, this was always meant to be a nightmare. I wouldn't even say it was good to the joker himself. Not even to Batman! So, yep, folks, I hope, after all of this writing, you will believe me about this utter disgrace! Buy the new 52. They were 100 times better! Trust me.

By a disturbed 12 year old, hoping that they will ever be able to see the pleasures in life again...

4.0 out of 5 stars A Feast for the Eyes; A Drain On the Mind, 29 Aug 2008
R. T. Southgate (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: The Killing Joke (Deluxe Edition) (Hardcover)
Okay, let's keep this brief and informal lest I start taking myself far too seriously. After all, it is only a comic book to which I am referring regardless of how good or bad this particular one may be.
As an addition to the Batman Legend, 'The Killing Joke' is something of a let down, and not least due to the 1980's "think outside of the box" storyline. In my opinion it will warp your perception of the Caped Crusader and Smiles-McGee as it did mine with it's painting of the pair as something of an old married couple who may fight but deep down are the best of friends (and thankfully like an old married couple they are not sexually attracted to each other either). It has to be said though that The Joker's crimes depicted here are less master-criminal and more sick-bastard. Whilst inventive, they lack the subtlety and genius you'd expect from the character. It would be far too easy to confuse his antics with that of 'Lord Pumpkin' in his origin one-shot as the freaky carnival setting and deformed minions are not Joker-like in my mind. I'd also suggest that the "definitive origin story" for the Joker is an ideal that should have died long ago, way before the 80's ever hit, and it's inclusion here makes the Joker seem weak and unjustified (in some senses) in his madness. Basically, as in the short version, Alan Moore's story is cleverly gimmicky at best with scripting that is just plain awful. Sorry to all the fans of the piece out there, but it reads more like a romance comic with Batman being the hysterical woman moreover Dark Knight.
What you will take away from reading this (and despite what I just said, you must buy and read this!) is that Brian Bolland is highly revered for a reason. The artwork is simply phenomenal, and the newly revamped colouring is stunning. You may never see a depiction of classic Batman or Joker looking this good anywhere else again. With the added bonus of Bolland's 'Innocent Man' (which he also wrote) sitting quietly at the back, this package must adorn your bookcase. I would recommend this to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars "I know you're a mass murderer, but can't we be friends?", 24 Aug 2008
Alan "Alan" (Edinburgh United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Batman: The Killing Joke (Deluxe Edition) (Hardcover)
Alan Moore provides the reader with plenty motivation for us to hate the Joker in this short story; so much in fact that it make's Commisioner Gordon's response largely unbelievable, and Batman's 'let's be friends, I can help you' reaction somehow cowardly. The villain is elevated to such a level of cruelty and malice that Batman's idealistic moral outlook has no counter. The result is Batman comes off as a wimp.

The artwork by Boland is wonderful, but probably the worst story I've read of Moore's.

2.0 out of 5 stars A let down, 16 May 2009
Ryan Birch (Llandudno, North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: The Killing Joke (Deluxe Edition) (Hardcover)
I bought this book based on so many good reviews, and it's inclusion on many lists with the general theme of the top X amount of comics / graphic novels you should own. From what I had read I was expecting a very in depth look at the Joker and a great exchange throughout between him and Batman.

From reading other Moore stories I had high expectations, and franky I was thouroughly dissapointed. The story lacked substance and was far too short, leaving no time to explore the relationships between the characters. The shock value was not there either, with each 'twist' coming across with as much shock as a dead battery.

Overall I would say that this book will sit on the shelf for a long time before I pick it up again. There are better graphic novels to buy before you buy this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Better for avid fans, 19 July 2009
M. Bray "Mia" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Batman: The Killing Joke (Deluxe Edition) (Hardcover)
Bought as a stocking filler gift at xmas and its not left the shelf since the first read. In the wake of the Dark Knight i thought this would be quite good, however it was a really short story (readaable in much less than half an hour)and a comic book would have been cheaper! Other than it being hardback i havent yet identified what is deluxe about it, but i would suggest this is more suited to avid fans than people that like that films.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully drawn, twisted and dark..., 5 Dec 2008
This review is from: Batman: The Killing Joke (Deluxe Edition) (Hardcover)
The reviews on here are pretty mixed, but I got this anyway (being a bit of a Joker fangirl) and I'm really glad I did. I've read it twice so far, and although perhaps the story is weaker than, say, The Long Halloween, the art is incredible and the Joker himself is fantastic - as sick and psychotic as he should be. In fact, the whole thing is truly dark (I would strongly recommend not to give this to anyone under 12 or 13), which is the only real way to portray Batman and the Joker.

The story also gives a twist to the character of the Joker, giving him an origin that actually makes you feel sympathy for him, which is something that you'll probably find hard to do until you read this.

The only complaint I have about this is the slightly anti-climactic ending, which left me feeling a bit confused the first time I read it; but overall it's a great book. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This comic is in the DC Alan Moore compilation, 17 Dec 2007
This review is from: Batman: Killing Joke (Paperback)
If you want to read this story, it is currently available in DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore.

Great story of the creation of the Joker with stunning artwork.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as its cracked up to be, 4 Aug 2008
This review is from: Batman: The Killing Joke (Deluxe Edition) (Hardcover)
Not bad but not all that good either. Art excellent but story weak. Batman's characterisation is non-existent, he's not a character, just someone chasing The Joker. Joker's story is OK-ish but there isn't anything you could call a plot here.
Commissioner Gordon looks like he's going to go mad and then doesn't. Big deal.
Also incredibly short. Could have done with being twice as long and letting us in on Batman's mind more. Not enough time to develop affinity with the people The Joker is threatening, so we don't really care if they live or die.
And can't we have something better than the 'covered in chemicals' origin?

‹ Previous | 112 13 14 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xac62e024)

Batman: The Killing Joke (Deluxe Edition)
Batman: The Killing Joke (Deluxe Edition) by Alan Moore (Hardcover - 25 April 2008)
Used & New from: 5.21