on 15 February 2009
This is the final collection of Jaime Hernandez' contribution to the original run of Love and Rockets. Unfortunately its a bit of a mixed bag. "Wig Wam Bam" which takes up almost the first half of the book is exhausting, it's as if Hernandez was not really sure which direction to take things so he took them nowhere in particular. I had to go back to the second volume "the girl from H.O.P.P.E.R.S." to remember why I loved this series.

Eventually Wig Wam Bam ends and we are back in business. Its so good. The characters feel real layered and nuanced, you care about these people, I felt genuine concern for their predicament. I blistered through the second half and although Wig Wam Bam had left me a little bored the last 160 pages are worth the price of the volume alone. The final pages were fantastic. Upon reflection you feel, well, just a little empty finishing this one.... but its only because you're gonna miss those guys!

The black and white art work is still fantastic and has aged incredibly well especially when compared to colour comics from the time, which can look a little garish when viewed now (watchmen anyone?).
Definitely not the book to introduce you to Love and Rockets but one hell of a finale.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 April 2012
Maybe because I knew this was a Sweet song from my childhood, I was just waiting for the payoff. This story was magical to me. I read it in one. I adore Hopey and Mags but also have a very special liking for Izzie their unconventional guardian angel. I loved the fact that she introduced Mags to Hopey after Letty died to help her move on gave her a special need to find Mags when Hopey had gone missing. The bit when Izzie finds Mag's diary was hearbreaking. Well to me anyway. Mags and Hopey are Izzie's longed for disfunctional family as far as I'm concerned. Or have I got this ALL wrong.

Without spoiling the end of L&R cos I haven't got there yet I would love to see something really nice turn out for Izzie. She reminds me very strongly of a departed family member. Wrongly tortured.

The end to this installment is as good as it gets. Until I read the next one that is.

Never read L&R the first time round as I was maybe having too much of their life to notice a comic book.

Now that comic book can bring me to tears. In a good way. It is SO real to me in a totally unreal way.

ps my mum was also known as Nan, but she NEVER did that to me!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 May 2015
The best installment of ''Locas"!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...