We3

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rarity Amongst Comics
I've always said (well, to myself anyway) the best comics are always random, the ones you pick up off the shelf and realise they are spectacularly different to what you had imagined. At first I thought this comic was a comedy Sci Fi piece, but as I flicked through the pages I quickly realised it was a gritty, violent and quite sad story.

It features 3 domestic...
Published on 29 Oct 2005 by S. Chiddington

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh
I should've loved this; not men in tights - check, dystopian future/present - check, beautifully drawn - check. I got it and opened it and read it. I'm not sorry I did, but I wasn't moved as I thought I would be.

I loathed Seaguy, didn't mind a dalliance with Seven, enjoyed The Authority and Captain Britain though. Holding out hope for The Filth and The...
Published 19 months ago by H.P. Camper

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rarity Amongst Comics, 29 Oct 2005
This review is from: We3 (Paperback)

It features 3 domestic semi-sentient animals which have been augmented/cyborgised (rather tragically) for a military experiment. But when their usefulness is at an end, the 3 in question(a Dog, Cat and Rabbit who only have each other as family, a bare understanding of speech, humanity or the world around them) try to escape and find 'home', with virtually everyone on their trail.

This very adult and tragic tale is a rarity amongst comics. Whether you're an animal lover or a mech fan, it'll leave a odd taste in your mouth. It'll make you think "Should I be upset by a comic?". And it will make you wonder why you can't get it out of your head.

I promise, you'll get to the last page and just think "...damn".

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful little yarn!, 1 May 2009
This review is from: We3 (Paperback)
A very powerful little graphic novel - well written and expertly illustrated. This is a very short read and I think a lot of its impact comes from its concise format. Well worth the money and sure to leave a lump in your throat - this one brought tears to my eyes!

5.0 out of 5 stars read this then hug your pets!, 1 Jun 2006
This review is from: We3 (Paperback)
This is an astonishing comic book with the most stunning art i have ever seen! There is an almost contradictory beauty in such savage images (eyeball, you'll understand when you see). The story itself is almost a cross between "the incredible journey" and "terminator 2" although it seems crass to decribe it as such. It is ,without question, the most moving comic book i have ever read. PLEASE READ

5.0 out of 5 stars Gem amongst stones., 8 April 2013
This review is from: We 3 Deluxe Edition HC (Hardcover)
Purely by chance I came across this book, and I'm so glad I did. Having never cried at a film and only one book in my life (I watch/read a LOT), I was extremely surprised at how 'We 3' truly did tug at my heart strings. The artwork is perfect, and along with the dialogue (or mostly lack thereof) they manage to capture the subtleties of the characters - it breaks the boundaries between humans and animals, making you genuinely care for and sympathize with the characters.
Having said that, 'We 3' is by no means a light read. There is a lot of violence, between both animals and humans alike - but it's not unnecessary and makes it all the more powerful when in contrast you see the same characters in vulnerable states.
Overall, I'd say this book is a gritty thing of beauty, and whether you're there for the bloodshed or emotional value, you'll be left with it lingering in your mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 27 April 2014
This review is from: We 3 Deluxe Edition HC (Hardcover)
Another classis from the pen of Grant Morrison which covers some very poignant and heart-wrenching adult themes around loyalty and vivisection - not much more I can say other than if you don't already own this comic then put it in your basket and buy it now - you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 26 April 2013
This review is from: We3 (Kindle Edition)
Amazing art work and a real gritty style, loved it and worth every penny. A great idea executed very well

5.0 out of 5 stars Goood little graphic-novel, 11 April 2009
M. Green - See all my reviews
This review is from: We3 (Paperback)
This is a short, yet satisfying and touching read. Well worth the cost of a few pounds. I strongly reccomend this title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good boy!, 1 Feb 2010
G. Meldrum (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: We3 (Paperback)
Possibly the high point of the Grant Morrison / Frank Quitely pairing (it's that or All-Star Superman #10), this is absolutely amazing stuff, up there amongst the greatest treasures modern comics have given us. I know that sounds hyperbolic, but the emotional impact this three-issue mini-series has, combined with the visually astounding work of Quietly, makes it completely unmissable. I'll admit, when I first heard the concept (`Incredible Journey' with cyborg battlesuits) it didn't really prepare me for how much I would love this book. However, I became so wrapped up in this tale of three mechanically-enhanced animal victims and their search for home that the fate of the furry protagonists really mattered to me. In fact, the utterly nightmarish final page of the second issue (the truly terrifying, horrific depiction of Weapon 4, one of Quitely's career masterpieces) genuinely chilled me to the bone, and actually made me think twice about whether I should buy issue #3. Could I bear to see this monstrosity let loose on our heroes? I should have had more faith in Morrison. There's one moment, right when everything seems at its worst for Weapon 1, that we are reminded the animals were taught to work as a team. The next page might just be my favourite in all of comics. Makes me well up just thinking about it! (As Morrison's Batman once said, never underestimate the sentimentality of a Scotsman.)

In short then, this is an absolutely vital collection, beautiful, horrific and touching, all in one. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it really is this good!, 17 Mar 2011
This review is from: We3 (Paperback)
I picked this up as a sheer 'Oh, go on then!' impulse buy and have so far spent the last 3 years nagging everyone I know who reads comics to buy it as well!

Our three unwilling heroes are characterised perfectly, it is short, sharp, snappy and perfectly paced, and alongside the splendid I Kill Giants is one of only two graphic novels that have given my heart a good wrench on the last couple of pages

There is a very good reason so many people have given this 5 star reviews, and the proof is in the reading of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Proof Pictures Really Are Worth 1,000 Words, 29 Oct 2008
This review is from: We3 (Paperback)
The plot, fast paced if a little predictable, is delivered with some of the best comic book art.

Mixing regular panels with full pages, double pages, multi-screen CCTV and even fragmented, almost 3-D panels, the artist has delivered something most Hollywood blockbuster directors fail to - stunning eye candy that amazes while progressing the action and the storyline.

The art is so good it carries the story like a racehorse galloping to the finish, but immediately rewards a second, third and repeated appraisal at much slower, more appreciative pace. One to enjoy quickly, share with friends and then revisit.

We3
We3 by Grant Morrison (Paperback - 26 Aug 2005)
Used & New from: £3.24