4.0 out of 5 stars It was the recommended book for my course ..., 29 Sep 2010
This review is from: Chinese Express: Talk Chinese (Paperback)
... so it's not like I tried any others.

Having said that, starting Mandarin is not the easiest thing to do (and no, I don't know why I chose Mandarin) but this book is working well with the course and providing valuable backup - the course is structured around the same chapters as the book, but the CDs are the most use - to have the correct pronunciation/intonation is invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chinese express Talk Chinese, 18 Oct 2011
This review is from: Chinese Express: Talk Chinese (Paperback)
I am studying Mandarin. This is my third year learning Chinese language and although it is somewhat basic to start with but the vocabulary builds up with new words and phrases. Very useful if you are visiting China. Its easy to learn with step by step guide and comes two CD's. I would recomend it for its simplicity and building up knowledge in Chinese Mandarinn.

4.0 out of 5 stars very useful, 17 July 2011
This review is from: Chinese Express: Talk Chinese (Paperback)
This book is much easier to follow than others and the CDs are very good. The only thing I don't like is the jingly music in between chapters and sections of chapters but this is a minor complaint. However, as with all language learning courses the learner will only get out of it as much as they put in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chinese Express: Talk Chinese, 4 Dec 2013
Mr Roland T Skelcher (South Harrow, Middx United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chinese Express: Talk Chinese (Paperback)
I was recommended this book by my Mandarin teacher and I found it most useful, easy to follow, CD pronunciation/lesson display excellent, the display/format on the pages with Mandarin sentences on the left and the English translation on the right side, below the Mandarin pinyin were the Mandarin characters.

With each new lesson/chapter were new Mandarin words and it gets built up as we went along. We felt confident and by about the 2 - 3 lessons we were asked to make our own sentences with words we had learnt. Whenever a question was asked, I understood it.

I must also give credit to our Mandarin teacher who made it fun, adding in new words of her own as we went along. We're an adult class, we very much look forward to our lessons every Saturday at 9.15 am - 11.30 am at the local school.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: Chinese Express: Talk Chinese (Paperback)
very good books for beginners. well explained. it was raccomended by many chinese friends. worth the money.
would buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for beginners, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: Chinese Express: Talk Chinese (Paperback)
Bought this on the recommendation of my sons Mandarin Tutor. It has clear and simple explanations and comes with a CD so you can practice your pronunciation. He has been learning for 7 weeks and can hold a 2 minute conversation on the topics he has covered.

5.0 out of 5 stars chinese express, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Chinese Express: Talk Chinese (Paperback)
My chinese instructer rates it very highly .Hence the reason why we use it on a weekly basis. Excelent for beginners upwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners!, 3 Nov 2012
This review is from: Chinese Express: Talk Chinese (Paperback)
This is a great book for beginners with no background in Mandarin. You won't be disappointed! Haven't tried the CDs yet but am sure they would be good too (it comes with 2 CDs). At least 4 different language schools I know recommend this book especially for those on Business Mandarin courses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Horses for courses, but spot-on for this reviewer, 17 April 2012
John Hamlen (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chinese Express: Talk Chinese (Paperback)
It's difficult to give a completely objective review of language learning books, because different styles suite different people. However, for this reviewer, this book ticks the two "must have" boxes:
1) Audio - AS another reviewer points out, this is especially necessary for Chinese pronunciation!
2) Bit-sized chunks - I'm not a natural language learner and have a short attention span!

People who want a more advanced book should look elsewhere, but for getting a beginner started and giving them confidence, this is the best I've seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chinese Express: Talk Chinese, 1 Nov 2011
This review is from: Chinese Express: Talk Chinese (Paperback)
Very good book for basic language.
CD's good for car.
The kind of book you can dip into at any page and do a quick 5 minute lesson.

Chinese Express: Talk Chinese
Chinese Express: Talk Chinese by Haitong Wang (Paperback - 1 Sep 2006)