5.0 out of 5 stars At last a UK Based Slow Cook Book !
As a keen user of my slow cooker I have been frustrated that I only used it for 2 or 3 recipes as all the other recipes either in books or that I discovered on the web were heavily based around US products that are hard to come by in the UK.
Published on 10 Oct. 2003 by G. O'Donnell

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings
In general, this book is ok. There are some nice ideas, all the ingredients seem readily available and it is well presented. What is particularly good is that there are a wide range of recipes from soups and starters to desserts, and variety within each section.
Published on 28 Jan. 2006 by kitkatmum

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a UK Based Slow Cook Book !, 10 Oct. 2003
G. O'Donnell (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
Enter, Gina Steer prolific food writer and my saviour. Recommended by other like minded people in one of the BBC food chat rooms.
Packed with over 150 recipes this book contains everything from the standard slow cooker favorites such as Casseroles and Stews through to much more adventurous dishes such as Spicy Swordfish with Coconut, or Peach and Apple Crumble. Along with a good selection of Soups and even some Winter Warming Drinks.(Our personal favorite recipe so far is The Chinese Style Duck "As close as you'll get to a stir fry in your slow cooker")
A must for any busy people who would like to return home to divine aromas wafting through the home and a meal ready and waiting for you and your family.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real find, 18 Feb. 2004
Simple , easy to follow recipes that will look as if you have spent hours slaving in the kitchen, I have 2 children so time is at a premium , this book uses everyday ingredients, to create lovely family meals and also ideal for entertaining too, from starters, soups , main courses, and sweets, you almost need another slow cooker , a really useful book highly recommended

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 28 Jan. 2006
I was disappointed not to find any basic recipes, such as a pot-roast or simple casseroles. As a new slow cooker user, this is what I was after.
The book also seems quite old, ie not up-to-date with slow cooker technology. This means that cooking times and liquid volumes need to be adjusted. There also seems to be lots of food preparation required when I thought the point of a slow cooker was "throw in all the ingredients and leave all day to cook"!
A good book for inspiration, but I will have to buy another one as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars yummmmmmy!, 5 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
After months, I dug the slow cooker out from the deep, dusty depths of my cupboard and now I can't put it away! This book is fantastic - the recipes divine! Yes you may need to do a bit of chopping and light frying before hand which can be a little time consuming but the book does say that you don't necessary have to do this - you can just bung it all in and maybe give it a little extra time-wise. When people think of slow cookers, they normally assume it's all casseroles but this book proves them wrong - they are so much more versitile and I've cooked some gorgeous meals...if my husband is going back for third helpings it's got to be good!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 11 Jan. 2006
Julie Lang (Berkshire) - See all my reviews
I picked this cookbook up based upon the great reviews it had received by other users and I must say that its turned out to be a disappointment. While there are a few very nice looking recipes inside, the rest felt like a freebie cookbook that comes with your slow cooker. Many of the recipes are a stretch for a slow cooker with one of the desserts being creme brulee (you just have to make sure the ramekins fit into your slow cooker for setting). There also seem to be a number of them which require you to change the temperature setting on it after a few hours, which means you can't really set it going and leave it. If you're going to be home all day with your slow cooker and fancy trying out recipes for the sake of using your slow cooker, this is for you. If you want stews, soups and curries that you can leave to get on with it, pick up a specialist cookbook for those.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but Time Consuming, 14 Feb. 2006
J. CROSBY "jcrosby" (UK) - See all my reviews
I actually love this book BUT, like another reviewer, I was surprised at how much preparation has to be done before getting the slow cooker going. I thought you just chop some stuff, bung it in and leave it to do its thing. That's why I rescued the slow cooker from the depths of my cupboard and bought some books, prior to the birth of my second child (now 14 months).
Having said that, the meals I have made from this book have been divine, really, really lovely and tasty and, while eating them, well worth the effort.
Most other books I've seen are mainly American and you fight with the pounds and ounces vs grams and kg, not to mention ground beef instead of mince, eggplant, zucchini and many others. Also, I've found that with other books, a number of the recipes are almost identical and there's a general samey taste to most dishes.
This book is worth the effort in terms of creativity and taste but not quite as effortless as I'd hoped. Instead of one crock pot to wash, I still manage to have a few pots and pans as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars slow cooker cook book, 3 Sept. 2009
A very good book. It's a good size with good pictures and easy to follow recipes that you would actually use! Got one for my mum and re-ordered one for myself. I will definately look out For Gina Steer's books in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love to slow cook, 19 Mar. 2010
I am a keen slow cooker and I love the recipes in this book. I agree with some of the other reviews that some recipes require you to be at home to change the cooking settings, but I use these recipes for the weekends. I can strongly recommend this book to people who are not new to slow cooking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all!, 21 April 2010
Anna Crook (England) - See all my reviews
I was surprised by the variety of recipes in this book, some for fancy occasions, some for every day. Definately a book i'd recommend for someone who is familiar with the slow cooker and doesn't mind buying the odd extravagant ingredient.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit dated, 29 Dec. 2011
Was disappointed, none of the recipes really tempted me, a very eighties feel although nicely illustrated and easy explanations, nothing new

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Slow Cooker Cookbook
The Slow Cooker Cookbook by Gina Steer (Paperback - 3 July 2014)