on 30 November 2013
Ok, so let's be fair; the recipes are good. In fact the ones I have made so far have been delicious.
But: there are NOT 500 recipes! What you are given is about 15 recipes per section (roughly, each section is different). So, for example, there might be 15 bread recipes. Now, to make up the 500, each recipe has 5 or 6 'variations' listed at the end of the section. Some of these are very vague variations- one cake recipe has 'add sultanas' as a variation. Perhaps I'm nit-picking, but to me this is false advertising.
If you want a few decent recipes, this book is fine. If you want 500 different recipes to give you a comprehensive repertoire - this book, despite its claims, is not the one.
on 17 August 2014
I've given one star although it ought to be at least minus one!
To date I've had major problems with the only two recipies that I've tried in the baking section - to put it simply neither work.
Firstly the Soda Bread where the quantity of buttermilk shown falls at least a third short of the amount required to produce a dough that can be handled. Whilst I managed to salvage something it was not without a cost to my temper.
My next attempt was short crust pastry and here I ended up with a "thick batter" and not a workable pastry dough. I tried to salvage things by adding a lot more flour and managed a workable mix that finally disappointed by being so "short" that it seemed like moulded dry flour.
Comparing Ms Beckermans ingredients with others seems to indicate that a minimum of 360ml of buttermilk was necessary in the soda bread (not 240ml as shown) and that using sunflower oil in the pastry would never work as it will effectively coat the flour and prevent water absorption. I'm also convinced that the teaspoon of gum is probably necessary.
My challenge to the author is to come and show me that both work!
on 9 January 2013
This is the only gluten free book you will need......or want! Easy to follow recipes and a pleasure to cook.
on 3 February 2014
This small book is superb with wonderful ideas. Each recipe has 5 alternative options and the waffles are fantastic! I am not a keen cook, but this little find has inspired me no end. I have bought many of the gluten-free books on the market but this is the one I recommend to everyone!
on 13 August 2014
A very useful little (compact in size) book packed with great ideas for the beginner or serious foodie. A great help if you are looking just to change your eating habits, or if it is a matter of necessity (purchased for my daughter who has discovered she is gluten intolerant). Highly recommended.
on 19 January 2016
So I wanted to try buying kindle version and made a mistake. Although recipes seem to be quite good and each has few variations added, but its difficult to navigate such a type of book as a digital version. You can't just flick trough the pages quickly as you would in a paper version of the book. You can of course go to table of contents, but instead of showing titles of recipes it shows sections of the book (breakfasts, appetisers and so on...), so you would still have to swipe through all the pages in that section to find recipe you want. Some images are almost the page size some are tiny, also recipes are split into few pages. It was my first digital recipe book, so i'm not sure if other similar books will be any better or worse, but i think i will definitely stick to good old paper next time when ill want to cook something new.
on 9 June 2014
PERFECT BOOK FOR CHANGING YOUR EATING HABITS TOO GLUTEN FREE FINALLY I CAN EAT LOVE IT WORTH EVERY PENNY ..
on 14 March 2014
Some good recipes for me to try, plenty choice. Easy to read and easy to follow recipe book. Thank you
on 30 June 2014
Well used book and my dinner guest never even noticed that food I'd served was gluten free
on 4 July 2014
this offers lots of good dishes which my daughter finds easy to make