Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 March 2013
My husband and I have recently started following a vegan diet and, whilst I have many vegetarian recipes that can be adapted to be vegan, I decided to invest in some specifically vegan cook books, and I am glad that I chose this one. The recipes are clear and easy to follow and don't require lots of unusual ingredients - most things are readily available. There are also many meals that are quick and easy to make after a long day at work.

I have already made several recipes from this book - favourites so far being the oaty apple pancakes we had on Shrove Tuesday, the leek and potato soup, spiced chickpeas (great for healthy snacking), and the squash and apricot tagine, which is devine!

If you are looking for an easy to follow vegan recipe book, including some helpful general tips about following a vegan diet, I would definitely recommend this book.
on 25 June 2014
Perhaps the title is a little harsh, but I couldn't resist. The book is okay. I'm not going to rate it based on the meals I have produced, as my culinary incompetence is mostly to blame for the results and I acknowledge that no person is going to like every single recipie in any cookbook, as tastes vary. Of course, as I'm sure we all know - nobody in the history of home cooking has ever successfully replicated a meal that resembles the picture in the cookbook. This is known to be impossible.

Pros

Good information at the start, before you get to the main recipies - alternatives to various dairy products, useful items to stock up on - this is helpful for those new to vegan cookery.
There are some decent recipies from what I've tried so far - including variety options for different tastes.
Fairly simple instructions.

Cons

Several Index page reference errors
Some recipies instruct you to use ingredients not listed, so no idea what quantity to use
Some recipies list ingredient and then don't mention them in the instructions!
Despite some decent recipies, many of them are best suited for the weekend when ample time is available.

I bought it as I'm new to veganism and it is useful to flick through, but I often find myself then going on the internet for alternative recipies; and with so many recipies and forums available for free on the internet, save your money.
on 15 February 2013
This is a wonderful little cookbook, every recipe has been a success and best of all the ingredients are easily obtainable, there's nothing quite so annoying as having to spend more time trying to find or fetch the ingredients than cooking the dish itself. If you're living in Britain this is definitely the best cookbook available, aside from those of Tony Weston that is, and the Spicy Vegan if you are a fan of Indian cuisine.
on 18 January 2015
I am a very experienced.. If somewhat lazy.. vegan cook. My husband and I are ethical vegans ... No animal shall be harmed for our pleasure... Especially the poor dairy cows while treatment is beyond evil. This was given to me for Christmas by my daughter. I absolutely love it and am buying more to give as presents. The pictures are devine... The methods simple. It us without doubt the best cook book in my possession ...and I have hundreds. Deborah I shall be looking out for more books in the future ... You have nailed it. Thank you
on 19 May 2014
The book maybe 500 dishes but in some cases there are 4 or 5 variations on a meal theme. As a vegan and my wife as a vegetarian this is perfect as each meal which becomes a favourite has several variations on them. Saves me using my brain to much, thank you 500 Vegan Dishes and great read and great recipes.
on 13 April 2013
A really good vegan recipe book. I like the way it gives variations on each recipe so you can vary it or tailor it to suit.
on 4 March 2014
Bought this book a few months ago and I absolutely love almost everything in it. The recipes are really easy to follow and the ingredients are easy to find. Highly recommend it to anyone who wants to go vegan :)
on 26 May 2013
There may be 500 dishes in this book but I found them dull and repetitive. Many are just slight variations on another recipe. I only pull this book off the shelf if I really have to.
on 3 April 2013
I think that this is a super great product, and so I would gladly buy it agian in the future
on 17 January 2015
Having just become vegan - we have found this book really helpful and informative.