4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I've been looking for!
Published on 11 Sep 2011 by very_filmi

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginner, but not for advanced
I am a cake decorator just starting up in business and although don't really need tips on how to make models wanted this book for ideas. If you are a beginner this book has ideas, but I think there are better out there for technique and tool list.

Published on 20 Jan 2012 by Daisy-May

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I've been looking for!, 11 Sep 2011
This review is from: 100 Fondant Models for Cake Decorators: Designs for Special Celebrations (Spiral-bound)
I found this title on pre-order by chance as I was browsing the cake decorating section and I received it a couple of days ago after some delay in publishing. I'm so happy Helen Penman put this book together as it really looks like it will be an invaluable guide book to modelling for cake decorating. I have a couple of shorter titles on making various figures but I was quite disappointed with them as the figures were quite simple and unattractive but in this book the figures are detailed and would look amazing on a cake. i particularly love the guide to dressing people figures, especially the Indian bride and groom! now i just time to start practicing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Surprising, 30 Sep 2011
This book is amazing and great value. I bought it as I'm a novice cake decorator and like to make my cake figurines by hand. I was so surprised by the voulume of information in this book.
It's lie a binder on the inside, so no information lost folding over pages. There is information of equipment, cake recipes etc etc etc. There is almost a quarter of the book full of great tips and information before getting to the beautiful figures shown on the front of the book. Buy this book, you will not regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars models, 11 Oct 2011
Mrs. C. A. Troops (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
A very good book with plenty of photos and full instructions on how to make each model. Ideal for beginners and with some ideas for the more experienced sugarcrafter.
The models are broken down in to seperate bits and the weight of paste needed is shown for each stage. This is often the hardest part for beginners and will be invaluable for them.
There are lots of ideas fo childrens cakes and for special occasion ones like Christmas, halloween, weddings etc.
The book has a spiral binding so opens out flat for ease of use.There are also sections on tools, basic tecniques, recipes for cakes and how to design your cake.
All in all a great value book.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 Fondant Models for Cake Decorators, 22 Oct 2011
I have just opened this Package and i am thrilled with this book i do a lot of modelling in sugarpaste so it will get lots of use has some great ideas in it, would defo recommend it to cake book lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars soooo helpful, 15 Oct 2011
this book is jam packed with information. the first pages are full of helpful and handy tips on tools, different types of icing and other stuff, which even if you are a really good cake decorator, could be useful. The pictures are very colourful and there are instructions on how much icing to use, colours to use and basic instructions how to make the models. Loads of different things to make, animals, flowers, people, transport, etc. would definitely recommend this book to anyone at any level.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginner, but not for advanced, 20 Jan 2012

There are a few cute ideas, but best suited to someone with limited internet access (in my opinion getting on an image search engine would be just as good) and a beginner as some of the techniques are simple.

The photography is good and the instructions are well laid out, which is a big plus. A novice could pick this book up and create a cake that looks impressive but for anyone with some level of experience its not wonderful.

Overall not for me, but can see for complete novices would be good.

5.0 out of 5 stars my new bible, 22 Feb 2014
I have received started a cake decorating class which I am really enjoying and this has spurred me on to purchase several books to enhance my learning and one of the those was 100 Fondant Models for Cake Decorators by Helen Penman. I really want to learn modelling and this is not something we specifically cover on my class.

It really is surprising just how many different models are included in this book; Elephant, Lion, Cat, Frog, Mouse, Sheep, Penguin, Santa to name just a few as well as a number of accessories to go with each model such as Bullrushes, Lilly and Lily Pads for the Frog or Cauldron, Potions and Spell books for the Witch.

I really like the thought that has gone into including accessories for the models, as I think this makes the models much more useable and is extremely useful when planning a cake as you can build a scene rather than just sticking a single model on top. It is also a great starting point for encouraging you to think about what other details to include.

There is a handy guide at the beginning with small thumbnail pictures of the models included with the page numbers so that you can quickly locate the model (s) that you wish to make. This is especially useful when you have opened the book to have a play without a clear idea of what you want to make or an occasion in mind.

For each model there are clear pictures showing the finished model and then a break down of the pieces and where they fit. You are told the colours required and a how much of each colour is required in both grams and ounces as well as the materials and tools required. For each part of the model you are also advised the weight of sugarpaste required. This is so handy to ensure that you keep to size and scale for the model and especially useful for beginners like myself. The instructions are really clear and easy to follow. There is also a guide to the shapes referred to.

There is a guide to the tools and equipment referred to throughout the book with clear pictures so you can familiarise yourself with tools you may not have seen/heard of before.

One of the first things we did at my cake decorating class was to plan our cake. By this I mean we had pen and paper and wrote or drew ideas until we came up with a final design. This is something that I had never considered before as prior to this I quite literally made it up as I went along, and it is amazing the difference that simply taking time to think through and properly plan a design makes. This book incudes a whole section on the planning and designing stage as well as how to arrange your models and accessories on your cake for maximum impact and this is a section I refer to time and again. I especially like that there are examples of designs that work as well as those using the same models/accessories which look cluttered and jumbled really driving home the difference.

One of the things I had struggled with was knowing how much cake mixture is required for different sizes of tin and this book has a wonderful section on this with tables which show how much of each ingredient is required for round and square tins of a given size. There is also a guide as to how many portions you can get from a square or circle tin and again this is in a table format. I had never considered that the number of cake portions would vary according to the shape- to me an 8 inch cake would serve the same number of people whether square or circle however according to the table a square cake of this size would serve 45 people and a circle 20 based on a portion being 1 inch square.

I also like that as well a recipes this book includes a handy guide to things that may have gone wrong with your cake such as sinking and reasons as to why this has occurred. I find this really helpful as until starting my class I had only ever made cupcakes so now that I am making much bigger cakes its really handy to know some of the things I might be doing wrong.

There is a table which shows how much buttercream icing and the amount of each ingredient required to cover a cake of a given size- I find this invaluable as it saves me making too much and wasting any or too little and having to make a second batch. There is also a guide to making a piping bag and piping techniques as well as guidance on how to prepare and cover the cake.

There is also a guide to icing types as well as recipes for sugar paste, modelling paste, flower paste and marzipan. I have to say that I have not tried these and have instead always brought pre-made however it is handy to include for those that are more adventurous and would prefer to make their own.

This book includes a lovely selection of model and accessories as well as a wealth of decorating information from planning your cake right through to completion. There are lovely pictures and clear instructions. This really is a cake decorators bible.

This is an outstanding book with a wealth of useful and helpful information for both beginners and intermediate cake decorators alike. Some of the tables and guides will be referred to time and again for years to come.

Highly highly recommend - this book is in a league of its own

5.0 out of 5 stars fondant models cake decorating book, 17 April 2012
fab lttle book. great ideas to inspire you and good clear pictures. there is alot of useful information packed into this book. very well made will withstand alot of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modelling Bible!, 5 Mar 2012
Am delighted with this book. Very much a novice, although I have created some very effective cakes up until now, this book starts at the beginning and develops skills in a logical order. A comprehensive introduction, it is layed out in a really thoughtful way, and has everything in it that I will need for a long time. Well worth the money, a superb resource, I will never decorate a cake without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book, 22 Feb 2012
This book is fantastic, easy to read and follow. Will give great pleasure to anyone who buys it. Easy step by step instructions and many great tips.

100 Fondant Models for Cake Decorators: Designs for Special Celebrations