on 31 August 2010
Important to note the book also covers Canoes (Open tops) too.

This book was exactly what I needed to guide me through the kayak learning process. It begins with equipment an clothing basics, providing good information on how to select what's right for you. It thenproceeds step by step through other basics of kayak ownership, different paddle strokes, rolls, safety and rescues. Excellent photographs illustrate everything perfectly

This book ought to be text book for anyone taking their One star BCU Kayak course - it covers it all and its is interesting to read too.

I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who's considering buying a kayak or just starting out with one.
on 8 July 2010
Why am I sitting here typing into the computer, when I could be out kayaking ???
Loved the book, very clearly explained, comprehensive, good illustrations and photos.
Totally inspiring ! Makes you want to head out to the nearest stretch of water !
on 8 February 2014
Don't get caught out like me by judging this book by its cover !

This is a nice little book in hard back. Its content & photograph instruction is clear & exactly what I was after. Excellent, I can't fault it.
However, What does grate me is that this book is in disguise & is already out there cheaper. If you are after its content for instruction then get Kayaking and Canoeing for Beginners by Bill Mattos. It is the EXACT same book only with a different cover & title, is softback, bigger but more importantly half the price.

I unfortunately have two books the same because Amazon did not highlight the fact that this is one & the same book with a name change & cover change.

Happy Paddling everyone, Boon.
on 16 September 2010
The book sets out to explain in text and pictures exactly what you need to know, and how to do it.
It is excellently written and illustrated.
A very good intro, to a great sport or pastime.
on 3 May 2013
Having had 1 lesson and buying my first kayak, I found this book covered all the areas in my lesson, which is great to have at hand to read just to keep it in your head.
on 2 February 2014
I bought a touring kayak last year, so I bought this book and the Haynes Kayaking Manual to help get me started. They are both similar, and although the Haynes Manual contains more detail, I preferred this one as an initial starting point. It is more matter of fact and told me all the basics without overwhelming.
on 13 January 2016
Bought for £1 in Salvation Army. 128 pages, 400+ colour photos. Hardback w/dustcover. Printed in Egypt. The font size used throughout this book is the smallest I have ever seen, or rather NOT seen. I'm 65 and use 3x reading glasses, but still had to read this with a magnifying glass.
on 15 June 2012
As a Level 3 Coach I am always looking for new material to use especially at entry level kayaking/canoeing this book is really good with plenty of good quality photographs easy to follow dialogue. The book is better than some other Manuals.
Phil Edwards Coach level 3
on 22 June 2013
Just bought my first yak at the ripe old age of forty-ish. This book is a great source of hints, tips and instruction.

Definitely worth a look if you are new to Kayaking (also has section on canoeing).
on 28 May 2010
The book is well written with good illustrations and pictures.
I was not expecting stuff on open canoes in the book though, the title leads you to believe it is kayaks we are dealing with. A bit more meat in the technique sections would be good.
It is a good enough read for someone totally new to the sport and will give them the basics.