I am a huge chutney fan and decided that it was time I learned to make my own! Not knowing where to start I decided a couple of books would be a good investment.

This is a great book for a novice!

Published on 10 Sep 2009 by ratscat13

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great recipes...
My first attempt at chutneys and pickles and this book had some great ideas. A couple of recipes I've had to fiddle around with but that can make it more fun if you have the confidence to do it. I would have liked more recipes and less info at the beginning...
Published 14 months ago by Yvette Kay

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars great book for those starting out or an old experienced hand!, 10 Sep 2009
ratscat13 "ratscat13" (North East Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Pickles, Relishes & Chutneys: Step-by-Step Recipes for Home Preserving (Hardcover)

This is a great book for a novice!

The book starts with an introduction section to jars, sterilizing, basic techniques, fruit/veg/spices. The section is easy to read, informative and not too advanced or condescending to most readers. It is also not too long that people who have been making pickles and chutneys for years won't feel they have lost valuable recipe space. Plus there are a few extra recipes snuck in here too!

The main section of the book is split into sections on pickles, chutneys, relishes etc and the recipes are simply explained and easy to follow.

I have become a mad chutney maker as a result of the book reading up on what to make next!

This is a must for all chutney fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good all rounder, 18 Dec 2009
philip davies (newport United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Although my wife is an excellent cook and I'm no mean shakes myself when she lets me loose, neither of us have done much by way of making our own pickles. We bought this book as we thought it would provide a good introduction to the various techniques and so it has proved. There is a generous amount of information to get you started, which is easy to follow and well illustrated. The recipe section contains a sufficiently broad cross-section to cater for just about everyone's tastes, and again, although we've yet to try many of them, the instructions look pretty clear and straightforward. It's just what we were looking for but, if you're already an accomplished pickler, it may be a tad basic for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must, 27 Aug 2010
For me this book was fantastic. I had never made chutneys or jelly preserve and it was so clear that I had no problem following the instructions. I'm hooked! A must for anyone starting out

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous for your health!, 5 April 2009
I bought this for my partner. She has never used any cookery book so heavily and we have found some of the recipes fascinating to make and the results wonderful to eat.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very attractive recipe book, 28 Sep 2011
Having suddenly become interested in making relishes and chutneys I sent off for two recipe books. Both arrived but I was drawn more to Catherine Atkinson's Step-by-step.Recipes for Home Preserving. Its a hardback and every page is colour illustrated with the step by step instructions and the final result. The recipes look lovely for the categories of home preserving it covers. As I say I'm interested more in chutneys at the moment. I can recommend this book for beginners especially, but anyone of any ability will find it a nice book to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ab Fab!!, 6 Nov 2011
Cheshire Cat (Cambridgeshire) - See all my reviews
As Craig Revel-Horwood would say, this book is 'fab...u...LUSS darling'!! Inspirational, and excellent information with each recipe and elsewhere, which makes it great for the experienced cook but also for the beginner :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars chutney book, 4 Oct 2010
This is a fantastic book, easy to go by if your a beginner, have already made all the chutney's we need for the rest of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 18 Mar 2010
Malcolm H. Smith "Mal" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This item arrived so quickly I almost had to beat the flames off the packaging when it arrived!. The book is great full of great photography and helpful hints and tips not to mention the varied recipes

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful book, 20 Jan 2012
This book on home preserving was bought as a gift and was well received. It contains useful tips and recipes. I was a little disappointed in that it was a small paper back, which I hadn't realised from the description.

4.0 out of 5 stars pickles and chutneys, 14 Sep 2011
~While this book is an attractive additionto my bookshelf, I was a bit disappointed to find there is nothing new inside.Having said that, I will say, the recipes do work, and the results are tasty.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Pickles, Relishes & Chutneys: Step-by-Step Recipes for Home Preserving
Pickles, Relishes & Chutneys: Step-by-Step Recipes for Home Preserving by Catherine Atkinson (Hardcover - 29 Aug 2008)
Used & New from: £4.13