Format: Hardcover|Change

on 5 October 2010
This book, so far is the best book for silverwork / jewellery making processes. It's a beginner's book but I would say it goes far beyond a beginner's course and gives you the extra skills and tips needed. I was surprised how many different techniques it covers and have already started a bangle from the book.
on 8 December 2009
As a budding silver jeweller I found this book provided me with answers to all my questions and inspiration for many projects. Well written in terms that are easily understood by beginners, this book will provide hours of help and instruction along with the ever important motivation to excel.
on 16 June 2010
After reading other reviews, I went ahead and ordered this book. I loved the way it was presented - sections organised, information I can understand, very inspiring with examples. I would recommend this book for any level because it is very interesting for the more experienced but good for a beginner
on 19 December 2009
Good book for beginners and beyond. Informative and nicely displayed pages. Each Unit has great advice which is well set out and easily understood. All the lessons and projects are achieveable. This is a great starting place, to build on and a great reference guide for any student. It is a good investment.
on 28 June 2013
I found this a handy introduction to different aspects of jewellery making. Aimed at home-based hobbyist or small craft-based business so mainly deals with table-top processes and silver-smithing (logical, given that silver is relatively cheap and easy to use and thus accessible to small-scale activities). It is less a how-to book than an illustrated glossary i.e. it shows illustrations of a tool or process and names it. This guide to the vocab of jewellery making is very handy if you need to talk the talk when ordering supplies or selling work. My gripe about this aspect of the book is that the photos are very small - they do their job but being small I felt like I was peeping at things through a keyhole like a curious apprentice spying on the master to steal his secrets. Ahem. Not a book that teaches the skills it describes but then I am not sure any book or series of still photographs could do that but it does point you in the right direction. I'd supplement this book by watching many YouTube videos (now you know what technical terms to search for you can find the right videos for your needs) and maybe sign up for a course at a local college to get hands-on tutoring. Personally, I just make mala, rosaries, and similar prayer aids not fancy jewellery but I found plenty of hints about ways to improve my working process and I felt inspired to try my hand at acid-etching on copper sheets (to create art prints not jewellery) and thought the book worth every penny.
on 7 January 2012
I found this book rather daunting and had more techniques than I wished. If you are a beginner with little formal tuition thena book describing beading and gems to start with was more what I had in mind, which I did manage to source. This book describes expensive equipment more the sort of thing for a business than I had in mind, but that's just me I needed a more basic book with more ideas on beading techniquesand designs.
on 2 September 2011
I am a complete novice to jewellery making and silver soldering in particular. I had a one day workshop with a local artist where we made a simple bangle. No stones just silver wire. It inspired me to want to do more so I looked around for courses but many were just too far or too involved (City & Guilds) etc. Then I saw this book and everyones rave reviews. I wanted something to take me step by step and as the reviewers said this was what it did I thought it was worth the investment. I have used it like a course; working through each exercise and making simple projects not always the ones in the book but employing the same techniques. I now feel more confident and happy to try new, more adventurous projects of my own design. If you are starting out buy it before you buy any kit. The advice in it is superb and I feel I will continue to use it for reference for a long time.
on 28 June 2010
This book is great, with easy to follow detailed instructions on jewellery making and information on silver and gold properties and melting temps, tools needed and projects to make, although projects seem a little advanced. It is a great source of information. A must for begginers
on 8 May 2008
This isn't so much a book as a labour of love. Beautifully presented, extremely clear photographs, high quality paper. It remains to be seen whether it can teach me how to make jewellery - if it can't that'll be down to me - but in any case it is a lovely book to own.
on 30 July 2013
Definitely informative - but maybe more useful for professional rather than hobbyist. But inspirational and clear instructions on how to progress in jewellery making