4.0 out of 5 stars A good place to start
This book is perfect for people who are confident with basic kitchen skills and have a little time to invest. The recipes, processes and instructions are all clear, and produce high-quality chocolates. There's a good overview of tempering, working with chocolate, and matching chocolate and flavours.

What this book isn't is a book of shortcuts or quick fixes -...
Published on 10 Sept. 2008 by S. Butland

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Product
Published on 18 Oct. 2010 by Jim Martin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A good place to start, 10 Sept. 2008
S. Butland - See all my reviews
This review is from: Making Fine Chocolates: Flavour-infused Chocolates, Truffles and Confections (Paperback)

What this book isn't is a book of shortcuts or quick fixes - and none the worse for that in my opinion, but don't buy this if you are looking to go into mass production for the school fete!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good introduction, 3 May 2008
This is an excellent introduction to the making of hand-made chocolates, covering the making of truffles, hand-dipped and moulded chocolates. But be aware - it is the same book as the 2007 "Making Artisan Chocolates" by the same author. If you own one book, you own them both.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for exciting chocolates, 15 April 2010
This is a great book explaining the precise method for making truffles, filled chocolates and hand dipped chocolates, including a basic ganache filling and several very exotic recipes including Mango, Mint & Coriander (that's all in one chocolate!) and Jasmine Tea.

My only complaint is that I'd probably have liked one or two more classic fillings (i.e. peppermint cream, liquid caramel) so I could start simple. That's probably just a question of taste though, as I am not a fan of boozy, fruity or coffee chocolates, and many of the recipes in this book incorporate one or more of these elements.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Introduction to Chocolate Making, 16 Jun. 2008
This book is a great introduction to chocolate making. It has a brief but concise introduction on the process of making chocolate from the bean, the components of dark, milk and white chocolates and also about pairing chocolate with wine/ beer!

I've successfully made several batches of chocolates. The instructions are clear and concise and the book covers truffles, moulded chocolates and hand dipped chocolates. However the recipes are precise, and there are no basic ganache recipes to allow you to develop your own chocolate creations. Overall though a very good starting point

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Product, 18 Oct. 2010
I bought this book as a beginner to chocolate making but as someone who is fairly good in the kitchen. I opened it and some of the recipes looked brilliant, and the instructions were also good and clear, and helped by illustrations, However It is an American Book and has alot of American names for things, Such as 'Heavy Cream' which is not a problem if you can relate these to English names,

5.0 out of 5 stars Handle with care, 26 Feb. 2010
Do not under any circumstances buy this bokk if you are on a diet - you will fail.

This book contains some of the best chocolates I have ever tasted and indeed some of the strangest. Getting your head around Sea Salt in chocolates takes a bit of getting used to - but it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making Fine Chocolates, 2 Nov. 2010
I had spent ages looking for a book which made "Making Chocolates" both fun and easy. The book titled "Making
Fine Chocoltes" is an excellent book and for those who are considering making unusual, as well as the more familiar chocolates, I strongly recommend this book entitled "Making Fine Chocolates Flavour-Infused Chocolates, Truffles and Confections by Andrew Garrison Shotts"

5.0 out of 5 stars Making Fine Chocolates - and they were!!, 4 Mar. 2011
I first had this book on loan together with some other chocolate recipe books from the library because I wanted to make some good truffles for Christmas presents, but this books recipes were so easy to follow with plenty of pictures, that I just had to buy it. I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone novices and experienced cooks alike. The history of chocolate is interesting too. Oh and the chocolates were so good the recipients said I should go into business.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book with some problems!, 9 Feb. 2015
I bought this book because of the technique, as I am reasonably new at making chocolates. I haven’t made any of the recipes yet but I have read the whole book and according to me there are some problems with this book. The first one is that this is an American book, so many recipes use Light Corn Syrup, which is difficult to find in Europe and has also been associated to health problems. As far as heath goes because I don’t intend to eat loads of chocolates I am not too worried but the fact that it is not easy to find is more annoying. It seems that one can substitute Golden Syrup for the Corn Syrup but isn’t is a lot sweeter? I don’t know, or glucose…. The fact that he mentions heavy cream is not a problem for me as in the UK most people will know that he means double cream, but this is a type of cream that doesn’t exist in many countries in Europe and he says that using light cream does give a different result. Well, if you live in another European country I am afraid that you won’t have any choice but to use the cream that is available there and which, if I am not wrong, contains now 30% fat. Changes in our food chain are made without consulting the public like bread lower in salt, which not only tastes less good but also goes stale quicker, squirt cream with less fat which is tasteless as the fat was an important factor in giving us the flavour and mouth feel, all kinds of condiments which contain less salt and have no taste either, all in the name of health while we know that most of the food we eat is very detrimental for our health but we can do nothing about it.

But back to this book I found all the information about chocolate interesting but I resent a bit that it occupies so much of the book. The font is big and those pages are only half filled with text. Then there are a few tables giving you the details for tempering lots of different brands of chocolate which are only useful to the American market as we don’t have them here in Europe (at least I have never come across them!).

I liked the detailed information on how to make each type of chocolates but again that could have been done using half space. I have the feeling that nowadays a cook book has to be a coffee table book rather than a tool to be used in the kitchen. I would have liked to see variations on each theme because many times with one ganache you can make a lot of others by changing the ingredients. It is true that he goes to great lengths to explain how you can make your own creations but I prefer to just follow a recipe as I am not intending to become a professional and therefore I am not going to spend hours and waste a lot of ingredients trying to develop my own flavours. I would also have liked to see a photo of each creation.

He advises us to only use his own pectin as other types won’t work but where do we buy g pectin???? I find that when adapting a book to a foreign market it should come with the needed information in order to enable people to find substitutes easily. Coffee paste, what is that supposed to be? What is pastry or cake flour, does he mean normal flour our self-raising flour?

If it wasn’t for this problems I would have given this book 5 stars, this way I really can’t but if you are a beginner and want to know how chocolate making works you will surely enjoy this book (Lakeland also has an excellent book on chocolate making which is maybe more straight forward!).

5.0 out of 5 stars The best chocolate book ever!, 6 Jan. 2011
A Kid's Review
This chocolate book is the best for young chocolatiers starting out. And as far as i know it is the only one on the market that explains everthing clearly right from the begining.If your looking for how to make chocolates, i really would recommend it! And if you dont get it you would be missing out!Hope this helped and i was really pleased with how good it was!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Making Fine Chocolates: Flavour-infused Chocolates, Truffles and Confections
Making Fine Chocolates: Flavour-infused Chocolates, Truffles and Confections by Andrew Garrison Shotts (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2007)