4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for raw starters
I first borrowed this book at the local library before I even bought my acoutic guitar. Was so impressed with its ease of presentation that I bought it.

Published on 4 Aug 2009 by Monk of War

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing
Published on 11 Nov 2009 by G. Johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for raw starters, 4 Aug 2009
This review is from: Learn to Play the Guitar: A Beginner's Guide to Playing Accoustic and Electric Guitar (Hardcover)

The spiral binding allows it to be laid flat on your music stand, and it is really suitable for someone who doesn't know squat about guitar playing. There are photo diagrams of how to play step by step. The buyers guide section is immensely helpful in helping recognise the most famous guitar designs, like the Fenders and Gibsons - it helped me identify the guitars used by YUI!

The virtue of this book - that it is aimed for raw beginners - becomes a limitation for those who want to understand further. To avoid overloading the reader, finger positions are displayed in tab only, while the chord library omits the 4 string open F chord shape that starts with first position.

In summary, highly recommeded if you're new to guitar, but you will need another book if you want a deeper understanding.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 11 Nov 2009
G. Johnson - See all my reviews
After being a little dissapointed with the lack of visual aids in the "Guitar for Dummies" book, I thought I would purchase this as it appeared to be more up to date, which it is... It has plenty of high quality images and photography which is always helpful... However, the front clearly states this is a book for beginners, but I have to dissagree... Right from the beginning the author goes on about "Chords", "Scales", "Open strings", "Root notes" and "Barres" expecting a "beginner" like me to know what he's talking about without any explanation of what they are! This is clearly a nice book to look at but is not very easy to understand if you know nothing about music.

1.0 out of 5 stars I bought this for a friend, 16 April 2013
But he has not found it at all helpful. The idea was that the book would reinforce his lessons as he is a complete beginner, but he tells me that it does not really seem as if it is for someone with no prior knowledge.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 23 Nov 2012
I was disappointed with this book, I didn't feel it was made for complete beginners.

Also some of the text on the pages looked as though it had a shadow, it was very blurred and difficult to read.

2.0 out of 5 stars slightly disappointing!, 2 April 2013
I bought this and have to admit I was expecting great things, only to find it rather disappointing! It's not really ideal in my opinion for a beginner after a certain point in the book, it just gets a little bit too complicated. Also, I don't think there is enough of a focus on actually learning songs/tunes which I personally think would have helped considerably. The CD isn't a whole lot of help either, but I suppose it isn't all bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is total rubbish, 2 Dec 2012
This book is absolutely rubbish. For a total guitar beginner to launch into several 'cool riffs' in a very early chapter with no explanation of what to do is a joke. Wish i could have my money back.

5.0 out of 5 stars If my fingers can do it!, 18 Jun 2007
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in playing the guitar it helped me no end, even with my stubby fingers! Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to complain about!, 27 Oct 2011
It's a lovely little A5 size, with a nice hard cover.
Inside includes Lessons, Chords, Tabs and Guitar tips. The pages are set out nicely and the chords come with pictures which are really great to understand!
For a beginner it's pretty pefect.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been a great book but is a bit of a jumbled mess, 28 Jun 2014
R. G. Cooper "Robert" (UK) - See all my reviews
The construction of this book is great in that it is spiral bound and lies flat. The printing is poor and many pages are fuzzy and blurred which make this unpleasant to read. The sequence is awful. This is supposed to be a beginners guide. Where do you think they put the buyer's guide for guitars and other accessories....yup you guessed it. It's the last chapter! The chord library is a large section of the book. The information is there but a little confusing. It shows the fingering of the frets but fails to show the nut! The pictures and the diagrams are presented in an orientation of seeing someone else playing rather than from the view of you, the player. So you have to mentally reverse the picture to get the fingering correct. The high e string is shown at the bottom so it is the other way up of normal TAB. I found this book irritating to use, not helped by the poor printing. When reading the instructions the book assumed knowledge. Phrases are used which confused me and when I looked them up in the index there was nothing there to help. The content is there and no doubt when you go through the whole book a couple of times it may become clearer. I couldn't recommend this book to a novice.

3.0 out of 5 stars It helps to get basics, 14 Mar 2014
I had learned the guitar, back when I was fifteen, over forty years ago, and I was hoping it would just "refresh memory" and the likes, but it does not give me, exactly what I was hoping for. Just OK!

10.41