on 1 February 2006
Tailoring: A Step-by-step Guide to Creating Beautiful Customised JACKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Although this is a very thorough book, it does only look at how to tailor a jacket, so do not think you get step by step instructions for everything.
However, it does have some very useful information, with photos of every stage.
BUT another point to have is that it does not tell you how to draw up your own pattern block, rather it just tells you how to adapt a pre-brought pattern instead. Useful but not what i was particularily after.
All in all a rather useful book for a first time jacket maker, giving you the hard and the easy option on things (always useful to have!). Alittle dated looking now, but still worth the money.
22 comments|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2010
This is a beautifully produced and well thought out guide that takes you step by step through making a woman's tailored jacket or coat - from choosing the fabric to final steaming and pressing. The visual approach shows you exactly what you need to do at each stage, and follows an uncompromising standard of craft work that is a joy in itself. Particularly useful for the beginner, it should still be of interest as a reference work to the more experienced. Although the book concentrates on women's clothing, it does not, as sometimes happens, compromise on quality, fit or comfort. And the garments illustrated do not exhibit a caracatural female shape - rather the opposite, so the techniques used can be transplanted to men's clothing.
on 14 December 2010
i bought this book for my job and it's excellent. the photographs are very helpful, and directions really easy to follow. even for a beginner, my collegue who makes tailored costumes foir a living also agrees this book is straightforward and very helpful.
on 2 December 2013
This is a great book containing a wealth of information and clear pictures covering off not only jacket construction but also general sewing techniques.

!!!ATTENTION MEN!!! Although this book is well worth reading; I feel I should mention that this book is exclusively about LADIES jacket construction. And be under no illusions, there are BIG differences between the processes involved in the construction of men's jackets compared to ladies. For example; there's no muslin stage in the preparation of male attire, this is unnecessary, the canvassing shape, construction and fitting/attachment procedure is different and the Lining techniques are totally different, to name a few.

So if you happen to be a man, or for that matter a Lady, interested in tailoring male garments; then I'd still say this book is worth reading for the sewing techniques and pattern adjusting principles, but I would highly recommend that you also hunt down a copy of "The Art of Sewing -Basic Tailoring" published circa 1970 by Time life Books, ironically an all American book extolling, exploring and explaining the finer points of legendary Savile Row tailoring, Really if you're an aspiring tailor I can't recommend that book enough.
on 28 October 2011
This book is amazing. I flicked through it with a massive grin on my face. It was recommended by my teacher so I bought it and love it. It will most definitely help when I have to construct a mens blazer!
on 15 April 2012
I have been reading this book for the last couple of days and can not stop. Despite the fact that sewing is my hobby for more than 15 years I am still feeling that I have gaps in my knowledges and would like to step up on new level of my creations. Found a lot of new information in his book - pictures and photoes are really nice big and clear. Only now I discovered that there is a new edition of this book from the same publisher ( May 2011 ) but as I can see from pictures it is mainly the same content. I am really pleased with my purchese - and yes, it is about jackets ( coats ) only - from head to toe - but for me it is really comprehensive book! Even better than I expected!
on 22 June 2013
I have bought this book before on a reccomendation from dressmaking friend.I found this book invaluable in help and tips for my dressmaking projects.So decided to pass on the favour to another Friend.
on 14 May 2014
this book is very good if you are interested enough in sewing to want to go further into tailoring a jacket or coat its easy to follow and very informative for the already fairly accomplished dressmaker I don't think it would suit a beginner
on 13 April 2014
This book is excellent for someone who can use a sewing machine but wants to learn how to tailor jackets or coats professionally it is very precise and easily followed good buy
on 24 March 2014
Highly recommended, I'm a fashion student and my teacher recommended this to me. Very comprehensive though layout is a little funny but overall a good price for a good book.