Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 April 2009
Simple designs with very clear instructions. If you're new to bag making then this is a good starting point. If you already have this book and liked it then don't do what I did, I recently bought what I thought was another book by Dorothy Wood which goes under the title "Simply Stylish Bags" with a different cover design. It's actually exactly the same book but the US version from 2006. I'm usually pretty good at spotting this kind of devious marketing but I fell for this one.
VINE VOICEon 20 January 2008
To all you beaders out there. What a cracking book. It's one of those must open, must read, must try books. I got it and immediately when I got home set to work. Instructions are clear and easy to follow. I am facinated by the designs for the crackers and the table decorations. I have made one of them and looking forward to making others. Not as fiddly as some of the other works I have recommended in the past and it is easy to see your progress. These designs are great for your own Christmas decorations or to pass on to loved ones (who will appreciate the time and effort involved).
on 11 January 2007
The book cover states '18 stunning designs for all occasions'. Well there are a variety of different styles here, all very simple & perfectly acceptable but as far as my own personal taste goes, not one of them is anything close to 'stunning', nor was there anything in here to inspire me. Having said that, the book is nicely laid out with clear photography & easy to follow practical instructions including how to fit various types of handles. If you already have a stack of craft patterns from the large paper pattern companies then you probably already have most of what is in this book.
on 14 January 2009
I purchased this book for myself with a view to making some beaded Christmas decorations for next Christmas. It cost me a little over £7 including postage. I hoped that it would be full of special creations that would make an impact. I was not disappointed. This book is absolutely spectacular. I am a beading novice I have to say but I carnt wait to have a go at the items therein. There are some simple decorations and others that are probably for the more experienced. It is a very inspiring book, beautifully laid out with clear, concise instructions. There are beaded adornments for Christmas stockings, crackers, candles, candle holders, gift bags, twirly decorations for the tree .. the list goes on. There is also a section on making beaded jewelry. The projects in this book could easily be given as special gifts too. Not like too many other books with a Christmas theme, there is no twee here, it is just crammed with the prettiest things you ever did see. I carnt imagine there being a better book out there than this one on the subject of Christmas Beading. Highly recommended.
on 11 December 2009
A fantastically inspiring book. Very clear instructions with lots of fab pictures to get those creative juices going. Highly recomend as something for all age groups & ideal for ispiration for making Gifts
on 7 January 2009
This is a lovely book, full of many different types of beading projects in wide variety of styles and colours, something for everyone!
on 24 November 2011
I ordered this book mainly because in the Preview Pages there were some stunning snowflakes. Now that I have the book, I realise that you have to buy pre-made frames for the snowflakes. As I don't live in the UK but in the Netherlands these are very difficult (and expensive) to get (I just ordered them on eBay). I would have liked alternatives to make your own snowflake wires.

Also I do miss some clear patters - meaning you will have to flip forwards/ backwards all the time when making the items. The three tealights for example have 1 clear diagram for the bottom part of the tealight, but then you will have to follow the pictures to finish it off. The other 2 tealights have only word descriptions. This will work very well if you are an experienced beader, but if you are not a pro (and the title Simply Sparkling does suggest a bit Simple) it will be daunting.

The Star Crackers (these are bead stars and hearts to decorate Christmas Crackers) are absolutely lovely and would be great in a X-mas tree as well, but again there is no diagram -for the fairy and chicken (sorry, Robin!) there is which makes it a more approacheable project for me.

I do like the clear list of Ingredients though, and the details in the back are also handy.

I will surely make some of the designs, but will draw the diagrams/ patterns first - which will not be difficult to do - but I would have loved detailed diagrams at the back of the book, where there are templates for other projects
on 30 June 2012
I was delighted to find this book at a very reasonable price. It has lots of projects with good photographs and diagrams to help someone like me who, although not an absolute beginner, is venturing into using jewellery making skills for home decor. I haven't actually made up any of the designs yet - but they look very achievable and well thought out. A small criticism I might have about the book is that it does not appear to be printed on the best quality paper. Not an issue and the pictures and text are colourful and clear but I have a friend for whom this would make an excellent gift but I would be put off presenting it to her because of the quality. As indicated in my review title - I hope to have some of these designs completed before the Christmas rush begins! Hope this helps.
on 24 November 2010
This book is very direct and the patterns are beautiful. I very clearly made out how I can make flowers from seed beads. All projects can be made quite easily.
I enjoyed it very much especially now that it is christmas.
on 10 October 2010
this is a good book although some of the instructions are a bit confusing. I have done quite a lot of sewing so was able to sort them out, but the ideas were great.