5.0 out of 5 stars 101 Things to Buy
Published on 22 Jun. 2009 by Lucia

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
Written for an American consumer.
Published 9 months ago by Amanda-Jayne

5.0 out of 5 stars 101 Things to Buy, 22 Jun. 2009
This review is from: 101 Things to Buy Before You Die 2008 (Paperback)
I just want to say that this is a fabulous little book, it covers everything from coffee machines, cufflinks and bed linen to the perfect suit-all red lipstick and pashmina. Many of the items are pricey because of their quality or timelessness, but many of them are, in fact, affordable and chosen because they're the best on the market not because of their branding. I was amazed by many of the brands which I've never heard of but which produce the high quality goods (like Pia Wallen slippers or Savon de Marseille soap which is cheap and heavenly). Although as I student I cannot afford many of the things mentioned, I still find this book really inspiring and helpful, especially the Health & Beauty section and Home section. I have bought some of the things recommended and I have to say, these were some of my best purchases. So don't get fooled into thinking this is a pompous and unsubstantiated publication for the rich as it isn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore The Other Idiotic Reviews..., 1 July 2008
...they obviously care little for fashion or style. Absolutely no need to trash the book just because you are not interested in its content. Why did they buy it then, I must ask?!

This book is not meant to be taken seriously! And FYI, the jokey "THIS BOOK HAS SAVED MY LIFE!" reviews are wearing a tiny bit thin now. Would love to see another proper review of this book rather than a mockery of it. If you love fashion, then you'll love this book, simple as that! And not everyone that enjoys fashion is under any great illusions that it will change/better your life :)

5.0 out of 5 stars If only, 26 Jun. 2014
This review is from: 101 Things to Buy Before You Die 2008 (Paperback)
A great coffee table book. Sadly it is now out of print and has not been updated but it is a great way to pass an hour thinking about your forthcoming lottery win.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 27 Oct. 2014
Good present at a reasonable price

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 17 Sept. 2014
Written for an American consumer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well slap my thigh and call me Roger!, 20 Jun. 2007
World-renowned fashion/lifestyle gurus Maggie Davis and Charlotte Williamson have a lot to answer for. Well, to my local Age Concern shop they do. Before clapping eyes on the intrepid duo, my clothing consisted predominantly of second-hand, ill-fitting shirts; slippers that you would feel ashamed to give to a tramp, and trousers that would best fit a small child - in a nutshell: I was a walking disaster. Maggie and Charlotte changed this. I have not looked back since.

Now, with the arrival of this latest lifestyle bible my life has taken another change for the better. Gone are the days of forbidding my family and friends from entering my home, afraid of them witnessing the decrepit furniture and cheap accessories that adorned the place. After reading this book, I went into my closet under the stairs, grabbed a hammer and began ritualistically smashing my house to pieces. It felt so good... so liberating. I replaced the junk with many of the items mentioned in this book (I won't spoil your experience by mentioning them here) and my life has taken yet another turn for the better. I now hold dinner parties every night and am currently involved with several women, such is my ascent into higher society. I am the envy of everybody I know and, indeed, people that merely pass me in the street. They look on in despair - at their failure to even come close to possessing a fraction of the style and charisma that I now exude. Well, now everybody can achieve what I have achieved - even you! I urge you to buy this book and allow Maggie and Charlotte's personalities to dissolve into your soul. Take heed of their advice. Most of all: don't look back, and let the good times well and truly roll! I know I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars I did it! Do I win a prize?, 20 Jun. 2007
I did it! I bought all 101 things that the book said I should. I had to sell my house to do it, but hey, no pain no gain, right? Now, I feel just FABULOUS pushing all that gear around in my shopping trolley, barking at people, soiling myself and drinking methylated spirits. All the other tramps stop and stare as I glide by in my Manolo's. "Looking good!" they cry. And you know what? They're right. Thank you to those two chicks who wrote the book, I guess they must be pretty smart and talented. Cool.

BARBARA! I MISS YOU BARABARA!

5.0 out of 5 stars Once was lost but now I'm found!, 20 Jun. 2007
Thank you Maggie for you have saved me!

I used to live a sad life - I thought being an individual was important, but truly never felt happy being myself. Whilst I would enjoy wearing clothes that I felt comfortable in, and having my walls plastered with Icons of my life, I yet felt the scorn of my contemporaries who were different to me.

Walking down the street I felt so isolated, but now thanks to this marvellous book I am at one with many! I look like every other else girl and guy outside MacDonalds with my matching designer labels - who cares if they last all of a few weeks - it's the label that matters as this brings us together, and I feel solid now with people I don't know. This book has made me buy everything everyone else who has bought this book has bought! I am now blissfully happy in the blind optimism that somewhere out there, there is a distant brother or sister sitting on the same habitat couch, wearing the same Dolce and Gabana headscarf and thumbing at the empty phonebook on the same Prada by LG Mobile phone! I'm just hoping that one day I will meet them as the loneliness still lingers, but at least I have my Burberry!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My life is now complete, 17 May 2008
This review is from: 101 Things to Buy Before You Die 2008 (Paperback)
I used to lie awake at night wondering what I was missing - why was my life not gorgeous and glamourous like Sex and the City? Why did I always turn up at dinner parties in the wrong shoes and why oh God why did my neighbours smirk at my rugs? Then I stumbled accross this gem of a book and it became clear! Oh stupid, stupid me. How could I live a fulfilled life without the right candles? A veil was removed from my eyes and a weight from my shoulders. I marched right to the correct shops with my plastic a-flexing. I followed the list to the letter, no short cuts here. How could I live the life I was missing without having the exact model number in the right shade of red? It was a wonderful feeling standing in the queue while everyone else bought the same item. We compared notes on why the habitat sofa deserved a place in each of our homes and suddenly I felt whole. This book solved all my problems ever and I urge, I really do, everyone else to buy this book. After all, when everyone wears the same lipstick and carries it in the same bag the world will live as one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take me, Lord. I'm ready..., 20 Jun. 2007
Thanks to my weekend job as an international rock star, I have plenty of spare cash lying about. Often, when not rolling around naked in it for my own amusement, I worry about how best to spend these seemingly limitless funds. Thanks then to Magz & Charley for combining their awesome minds to create such an excellent tome. It's like they wrote this book specifically for me!

I'm drinking the recommended coffee as I write this, surrounded by 100 other 'things'. Yes, I bought them all - even the girls things like shoes and scarfs. If I'm honest, I actually bought duplicates of each 'thing' and put them in my air-conditioned storage container, just in case they get broken or incinerated during one of my infamous rock and roll parties. It still hasn't dented my magnificent bank balance, so I may have to spend the rest on more copies of this book, to give away to friends, family and lucky members of my ever growing fan club.

Every word of this book is truth. I bought these 'things' and now I am truly ready to die.

101 Things to Buy Before You Die 2008
101 Things to Buy Before You Die 2008 by Maggie Davis (Paperback - 28 Sept. 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01