5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent starting point.
Published on 9 Mar 2009 by Ms. ER Manning

2.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced
Published on 15 Mar 2010 by kate125

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent starting point., 9 Mar 2009
This review is from: Carol Deacon's Party Cakes for Children (Paperback)
I got this book just after my son was born and was far too intimidated by it to give it a go. It sat on a shelf for years until I had an attack of bravery and tried the Sketchbook cake. It wasn't absolutely perfect but I was more than impressed by the result. Since then I have well and truly got the bug and have lots more books on Cake Decorating but this one remains a firm favourite, mostly for its simplicity. Although some of the designs look quite complicated and can be a bit fiddly, they are generally much easier than those in other books. Most use only shaped sugarpaste and don't need special equipment or use complicated techniques or piping (no piping is a very definite bonus for me!). Where she does use special equipment, she gives alternative methods using more common items. While they can be quite hard work, the results are always worth the effort and it does get easier with practice.

Overall, this book is a great place to start if you just want to dive straight in without having to spend a lot of money on tools and have the time and patience to work at it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for beginners, 11 Aug 2003
I have tried several books for cake decorating and Carol Deacon's are the best I have found. Easy to follow and detailed instructions ensure anyone can get a great result. The kids love the cakes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for beginners!, 11 Aug 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced, 15 Mar 2010
This review is from: Carol Deacon's Party Cakes for Children (Paperback)
I am disappointed with this book, and not convinced that it is a good choice for a complete beginner. It has detailed instructions for modeling with sugar-paste icing, but this was not what I was looking for. I think the designs are very fussy and complicated, and mainly created from the sugar-paste designs, rather than the construction of the cake itself. There are one or two cakes I will make, but overall, it's not for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for basics but cakes are a little too fussy, 17 Aug 2009
Mrs. S. Dodd (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carol Deacon's Party Cakes for Children (Paperback)
I chose this book because of the clear and detailed explanation on using sugarpaste icing. It is great as a reference book for the basics - i.e. recipe for simple madeira/chocolate cake, buttercream, how to roll out and work with sugarpaste etc. However I did find that the actual decorative cakes are too complicated and fussy. After looking at some other books on Amazon I realised there are others with simpler designs. I used this book to create my own cake - a teddy bear's face - which was a success, but I will probably only attempt a few of the cakes in this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for a Novice Cake Decorator, 21 April 2010
This review is from: Carol Deacon's Party Cakes for Children (Paperback)
I took one look at the cakes in this book and realised that this was not the book to refer to for your first attempt at decorating a cake. I was hoping to find something easy that would build my confidence, but no such luck.

It did contain some helpful information about the basic requirements and some templates which is a useful feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, excellent , excellent!, 21 July 2009
This review is from: Carol Deacon's Party Cakes for Children (Paperback)
Bought this as a replacement for an old and well used friend that had seen better days! All instructions given are detailed and step by step. Very easy to produce results just like the photos! Kids especially liked the chocolate cookie monster and making their own version! This is the book that I turn to first when a birthday approaches!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Carol Deacon's Party Cakes for Children (Paperback)
I have made the desk cake and the instructions were wonderful. So easy. I will get a lot of use from this book

5.0 out of 5 stars party cakes, 24 Jan 2013
having made birthday cakes for many years saw this book and thought i would give it a go . not dissapointed full of ideas thank you .

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!!, 11 Jun 2012
Great book, especially for a novice. I attempted my very first sugar craft cake for my grandson and the book made a very complex looking cake really easy. My family think I am a genius ....it gave me confidence to try other cakes and now I'm unstoppable!! Thoroughly recommend this.

Carol Deacon's Party Cakes for Children
Carol Deacon's Party Cakes for Children by Carol Deacon (Paperback - 1 April 2007)