on 12 September 2013
I first started buying copies of The Fireside Book for my Mum, Mum-in-law, and a friend way back around 1976. It became as much a part of their Christmas stocking as chocolates and perfume - but lasted the entire year and beyond, as they all treasured their copies.

I loved the books so much that as well as browsing my Mum's copy I'd pick up old editions in charity shops!

The inspirational and uplifting verses, thoughtful stories and gorgeous illustrations to reflect on in this cheery annual are definitely a welcome comfort throughout the entire year.

Last year was the first year The Fireside Book became The People's Friend Fireside Book, and while the book has become larger, the format has changed little. The Country Calendar feature with information related to each season, accompanied by beautiful photographs, is a welcome addition to the contents.
on 9 April 2015
Five star review from my mother. These are very popular with ladies of a certain age. My mother is that age. She loves the gentle stories and hint of travel and adventure. She is in Australia and loves reading these as they are packed with stories and often link to places she visited over here. You cannot go wrong with any of these Peoples Friend books.
on 30 January 2014
Lovely poems,lovely water colour illustrations,came in good time,good condition- the person I got it for seems happy.A bit pricey though.
on 8 January 2014
The Fireside Book is indeed the perfect book for fireside reading, being a mixture of poems, reflections and snippets of countryside lore. My mum used to have one every year, and I'm carrying on the tradition - from choice, not just sentiment. And the illustrations are absolutely gorgeous - a perfect complement to the lovely poetry.
on 16 January 2015
Love the illustrations in this book. Some lovely poems and story too.
on 30 April 2015
A lovely book to look through any time of the year.
on 25 January 2014
An elderly friend is an avid reader of the People's Friend magazine and I thought she would like this. She hasn't stopped thanking me since getting it so I'm taking that as a positive sign.
VINE VOICEon 8 December 2013
I have been buying this book every year since 1976 for my Mum. She would be very disappointed if she didn't receive a copy for Christmas. She's even pleased with the new layout.
on 29 May 2014
Not my taste, but my mother loves theses stories and content and this kept her very happy for a few hours. She will certainly be looking for me to get another one next year!
on 1 January 2015
Bought as a present - Loved it!!