5.0 out of 5 stars In a different league!
Published 4 months ago by Maria A. Panousaki

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I've liked Diana Henry's books before and own a few already, but this one didn't gel with me. I was annoyed in the Kindle edition that there was no index of recipes but, moreover, there were too many ingredients I hadn't heard of before and would have to source them online - the kind of thing which ends up at the back of the cupboard. I guess I'm too long in the tooth to...
Published 3 months ago by Mrs BA Bate

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars In a different league!, 15 Mar 2014
Maria A. Panousaki (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Change of Appetite: where delicious meets healthy (Hardcover)
Diana Henry is literally in a different league. As someone who owns more than 600 cookbooks, cooks on a daily basis and reads cookbooks the way other people read novels, I can say with confidence that this is a most unique cookbook. The diversity of the recipes and the scope of this book are truly breathtaking. She has researched her subject extensively and it shows. Many people can write a cookbook, a select few can write a cookbook anywhere close to this one. If all cookbooks were like this one, a serious cook would only need a handful. I am sure I will be cooking from it for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where healthy meets delicious - superb book by a great food writer, 18 Mar 2014
purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I have been a fan of Diana Henry for a long time, but she really has surpassed herself with this book. In the introduction she outlines her approach to eating and how it had changed over the years. She lists her bibliography at the end of the book and I wasn't too surprised to see that I have shared much of the research she has undertaken - like Diana Henry, I avoid sugar and processed foods. She says 'the best thing you can do for good health is to eat proper home-cooked food, limit anything processed, really keep an eye on refined carbohydrates (especially sugar), switch to whole grains for at least some meals and up your vegetable intake.'

However, the key thing is that she's put together a book of recipes where the food naturally follows these principles and that food is completely delicious. As she says, this is not a book of deprivation or crankiness. These are dishes that are perhaps 'accidentally healthy' whilst being delicious. Diana Henry says that she has been heavily influenced by Middle Eastern food and also plundered the cuisines of Japan, Thailand and Vietnam.

I had this book on pre-order as I am such as fan of Diana Henry's other books and I see that the copy I was sent has its sub title inverted - mine says 'where healthy meets delicious' and the link takes you to one saying 'where delicious meets healthy' - both are correct, however you want to say it!

If there is a criticism I have of the book is that the recipes and menus aren't listed in the table of contents - yes they're in the index and, yes, I like the seasonal themed approach, but it would have been nice to be able to run your eyes down the list of spring recipes, for example, now that the sun has come out and I fancy something light and flavourful.

I have enjoyed exploring the book's recipes and will post an update when I have made more. Each seasonal section includes 3 menus of starter, main course and pudding. Much of the book follows my preferred layout of recipe with photo on the facing page but there are a number of recipes without photos and some bonus recipes where she builds on a soup, say, with an alternative. Dispersed throughout the book are some thoughts on diets, a list of breakfast and of lunches - directing you to recipes within the book - but again these pages aren't highlighted in the contents list.

Spring
In addition to some lovely fresh salads and fresh dishes such as crab with chilli and garlic and teriyaki salmon with pickled vegetables and seams seeds, spring menus are:
- feta and orange salad with honeyed almonds/ persian saffron and mint chicken with couscous/greek yoghurt and apricot ice cream
- rice paper rolls with nuoc chan / Japanese rice bowl /fruits with mint and ros-Shave vegetables with lemon / salmon with bay leeks / blueberry and gin jellies

Summer
summer menus are:
- sicilian artichoke and broad bean sale with saffron dressing / espresso granita
- white beans with roast peppers eggs and hilbeh / persian spice bread / berry and hibiscus sorbet
- grilled summer herb mackerel / poached white peaches with rosé wine jelly

Autumn
autumn menus are:
roast veg with agresto / cavolo pilaf with figs /watercress salad / blackberry-apple rye galette
Persimmon and avocado salad / burmese chilli fish / citrus compote with ginger snow
lentil, roast tomato and saffron soup / indian spiced beetroot, pumpkin and spinach / mangoes

Winter
winter menus are:
red lentil kofte / spiced quail with blood orange and date salad / yoghurt and apricot compote
mandaly carrot salad / spiced haddock stew / blood orange and cardamon sorbet
bagna cauda / georgian chicken with walnut sauce / orange and pomegranate cake

These full menus are one of the things I appreciate about Dian Henry as a food writer - she picks a menu where you can rely on the flavours working together and I look forward to trying these out.

All of the recipes I've tried so far have been great and straightforward to cook. You do need a wide range of spices but since I cook from the Ottolenghi: The Cookbook a great deal, my store cupboard was already furnished with these.

For my recent book group I made the carrot and ginger soup with cucumber raita and the orange and pomegranate cake - both winners. For a mid-week supper I made the chicken with yoghurt and pomegranates which was easy and delicious. When a friend came over I tried the Japanese ginger and garlic chicken with smashed cucumber and was praised to the skies. I've also had success with the teriyaki salmon with pickled vegetables and sesame seeds - my first time pickling vegetables. I have also made the Ballymaloe bread and the borlotti beans with anchovy and rosemary sauce - both quick and delicious.

I can tell that I'll be cooking from this all year.

Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Where beauty meets delicious, 17 Mar 2014
Mrs. A. L. Cooper "Anita" (London) - See all my reviews
I got this book last week and decided to cook two dishes from it, for friends, for lunch on Saturday. I made the Persian Saffron and Mint Chicken with Spring Couscous (with a yogurt sauce) and the Mandalay Carrot Salad. They weren't within the same seasonal chapter but they went beautifully together. I'm a slow cook and I have to read the recipe over and over again to make sure I haven't gone off course, so it took me a while to prepare the lunch as there was a fair bit of chopping and prepping (and I had help from one of my friends), but it was more than worth it when we came to sit down and eat it (and actually, very enjoyable to take the time). The flavours and textures of the food were not only delicious but so cleverly thought out.

Having read Diana's introduction, which seems to be written directly to me (i.e., want to eat better, but first and foremost, want the food to be delicious, not cranky healthy and brown), I too now want to undergo a 'Change of Appetite' - if I can eat this well and for it to happen to be good for me too - why not? Life is too short to eat cardboard.

P.S I forgot to mention that my friend made the Orange and Pomegranate cake for that lunch. There wasn't a crumb or pomegranate seed left.

5.0 out of 5 stars By Jove I think she's got it, 14 April 2014
Exactly how I feel about food right now. I love it. On a similar line as Alain Ducasse Nature, but with many more flavours and textures.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful wonderful book, 14 Mar 2014
A wonderful wonderful book - beautifully written, beautifully shot and beautifully put together, as you'd expect if you're familiar with any of Diana's other books. The recipes are original, unfussy, inspiring and completely unintimidating - the 6 I've made already have been totally delicious. It's far more than a great recipe book though - it's full of love for the food, for the pleasure of cooking and eating. Go get it

5.0 out of 5 stars Diana Henry still at her best, 23 May 2014
I have a great library of cookery books and my poor husband rarely knows what to expect for dinner. Diana Henry has been a favourite of mine for many years and her recipes always work. Now that she has adopted a more healthy attitude to cooking in her new book, there is no diminution in the great range of taste combinations that she offers for adventurous cooks to try at home. Ottolenghi, another of my favourite chefs, says on the cover of her book that he loves everything she cooks. Actually she seems to achieve similarly delicious results to his with slightly shorter ingredient lists.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Change of appetite, 5 Mar 2014
I was really looking forward to this book coming out and it hasn't disappointed me. It's full of things I want to make, and the couple of things I've had a go at so far have been brilliant. The idea of accidentally healthy food is very attractive to someone who isn't keen on diets but wants to improve some of their eating habits (me). Reading this I'm not thinking about what I can and can't do which makes it so much easier to swap bad habits for good ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love her style & charm, 9 Mar 2014
This is a really great cookbook, and one which I intend on buying as gifts. Why? The author is witty, fun, clearly knowledgeable and adventurous. Oh, and healthy! All traits I like in the kitchen. I couldn't accuse many cookbooks on the market achieving the same!

I'm tired of unhealthy cookbooks, so this one fits right into our lifestyle. I loved watching Diana Henry on Market Kitchen as a presenter. She is a total pro.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty seasonal eating, 7 May 2014
Lots of ideas and inspiration. Fabulous flavours and easy to follow recipes. The excellent photography makes the recipes look even more appetising.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cookery Book for our Time, 21 April 2014
The author, while contemporary in approach maintains the wonderful patter of communication which continues to endear her to her readers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

A Change of Appetite: where delicious meets healthy
A Change of Appetite: where delicious meets healthy by Diana Henry (Hardcover - 3 Mar 2014)
17.00