Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now

on 30 August 2013
I returned this book as it was not as comprehensive as the same titled "RHS Pruning & training" with isbn 978-1-4053-6312-9 (hardback). I loaned both out from the library and I feel the hardback version with isbn n.o. I have given in this review is far superior in detail and explanation so avoid the one which has a yellow cover.

The title description says handbook for the yellow version of pruning & training but for most gardeners looking for a practical reference guide the above isbn n.o. version is the one to get.
on 13 February 2015
As a professional gardener I purchased this book hoping for more detailed information on a larger variety of plants than the pruning book I already own. I was disappointed. This book offers a more generalised approach to pruning by plant type rather than specific species. The index is in a mixture or common and latin names and some plants are missing altogether (Ficus for example). If you have a mixture of fruit trees and ornamental shrubs in your garden then you may find the general overview on pruning offered by his book useful but as a reference for pruning a wide variety of plants the pocket sized 'RHS Pruning Plant by Plant' is a much better choice in many ways.

I have not used the plant training information in this book and as such make no comment on that area; so, assuming the training part is perfect: 2.5/5 for training and 0.5/5 for pruning = 3/5
This - and another RHS guide, Propagation Techniques - have been my bedtime reading this month. I highly recommend both. The explanations are succinct and clear, well laid out, beautifully illustrated. These are not just go-to guides when you need information (though of course, that is their prime function and they do it well); they are more of a general education on horticultural technique. Not only that, I've actually enjoyed reading them. They are lovely to look at and an absolute joy. I'll definitely be buying more in this series.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 March 2015
This is a very useful book covering the pruning of trees, shrubs & hedges. I bought it particularly to learn how to train a peach tree across a wall and for advice on maintaining topiary. The advice is easy to follow, explains everything thoroughly and is well-illustrated - just as you would expect from the RHS.
on 1 August 2013
The RHS Pruning and Training book has totally transformed the way we do gardening. It is informative, and precise in its detail, I would heartily recommend this purchase to a friend, and have already done so.
on 14 September 2013
This book is up to the usual standard expected from the Royal Horticultural Society with the exception of the Pruning Directory. The font size may be a challenge to the eye, hence only four stars
on 10 August 2013
Amazingly covers all the trees and bushes I bought it for!. Concise and very informative. Good pictures and perfectly presented. Well recommended A++!
on 24 October 2014
i can now start looking after my fruit trees instead of killing them a good read very informative a good book a good seller thank you.
on 20 December 2013
I need lots of help to decide when and how to prune different shrubs and other plants too. This book makes lovely helpful reading
on 17 October 2013
What a great book this is, step by step instructions and diagrams from the experts. A must have gardeners book for all.