Format: Hardcover|Change

on 9 September 2013
After finally deciding to shun gas barbecues in favour of teaching myself how to cook 'low and slow' properly with coals, I plumped for a couple of different books to help get me on my way. If you've been to Pitt Cue Co you'll know what to expect from this - a lot of pork, slightly British takes on proper American BBQ, and a love of vinegary pickles and slaws. The recipes are superb (the pulled pork blows my old recipes out of the water), although be warned that 'low and slow' is just that (slow), there are very few direct grill meat recipes in the book (although the few there are, e.g. the devilled chicken thighs, are sublime).

As good as the food recipes are, the book has three more (arguably as useful) strings to its bow - the theory, the sauces, and the cocktails. The theory of indirect grilling is laid out much clearer for (more or less) beginners than anything else I've read, and vastly improved my slow cooked large joints. The sauces and sides are suitably varied and in some places pretty unique (picked watermelon rind anyone?), and the cocktails will get any fan of whisky cocktails salivating, including various options for the epic pickleback.

Highly recommended for any barbecue fan if you're after something slightly different to the usual faire. I can highly recommend Ray Lampe's "Slow Fire" as an accompanying bible, mainly as it has the greatest dry ribs I've ever experienced...
on 30 May 2014
Don't waste your money on the Kindle edition, buy that hardcover. In Kindle there is no contents and no index pages. I was so disappointed I had to buy the Hardcover version as well so bought same book twice. Amazon sort out these dreadful Kindle copies, I don't expect to have to buy a book twice.
This is an interesting book - a bit of all sorts, from the menu list of Pitt Cue, which started as a superior burger van, of sorts. The recipes are of interest if you have the means to smoke food - get a smoker, or build one - seemingly everyone is doing it: this might seem like a bit of a fad, but the menus for food, drinks, relishes and sauces, etc. are genuinely interesting and the book, overall, is novel and a cut above many more conventional cookery books you can buy and reflects the drive and passion of the people who created it.
on 14 February 2015
Bought this for my nephew as it was on his Christmas wish list. He's over the moon with it - I think he's found it a little hard to source a couple of items for the recipes, especially the cocktails as it is largely American-orientated. But. with a little planning he's managed to source them from Amazon, so job done!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 March 2016
I love ribs. Like properly love them. I love any food that comes on a bone that I can wrestle with. I thought I'd had good ribs in rib joints, etc. Well. I can declare that all the ribs I have eaten up until this point can be referred to as 'crap' compared with what I've just made with my weber smokey mountain and this book. Holy sh!t.

I made the house rub from this book, put it on the ribs, 3hrs at about 105C, give 10-20 degrees! Then 1 hr in foil with a splash of apple juice...

Didn't even need BBQ sauce.

Honestly, I lay awake at night wondering if I'd done something daft spending over £300 on a smoker when I've never even owned a cheap BBQ...this book and the smoker are some of the best money I've ever spent.

I am hooked.

Buy a smoker and buy this book and you'll live happily ever after...
on 21 November 2013
i love this book for several reasons. Usually i buy almost 2-3 cook books a month and few are so inspiring like this one.
The guys running the Pitt and cue seem really like they are letting you in how they think and how to make great food, drinks and sauces.
thanks guys
on 14 February 2016
I enjoyed this book and have made several recipes, despite not owning any kind of barbecue.

A large part of the book is devoted to cocktails, sauces, slaws and desserts, all of which can be made in a small apartment kitchen. Standout recipes were Pitt Cue's take on the New York Sour cocktail and their Chipotle and Confit Garlic Slaw. These on their own made the book worth the price for me.

Although the remainder of the recipes do require an American style barbecue, there is still a lot that can be adapted to slow cooking meat in a domestic oven. It is also enjoyable to read how this kind of food is made if you are a fan of the restaurant like I am.

My only criticism would be that some recipes are inexact (e.g. specifying 1/2 a cabbage or 1/2 a bunch of something without any indication of the weight).
on 5 June 2015
Am amazing bbq book with brilliant tips, ideas, rubs, great recipes and salivating photos. I haven't been to pitt cue and really want to but am glad there is a book so you can make it at home. This is a really well done book and we have used it for many bbqs already
on 7 April 2014
Absolutely love this book. So far I have made several of the sauces and rubs. The chocolate and peanut butter tart is to die for. I have recommended this book to all my Friends.
on 3 May 2014
If you like to be a bit different or cutting edge on technique, then this is the book for you,, there are some fantastic recipes and ideas.