Published 17 months ago by John H

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, awful Kindle edition
Don't waste your money on the Kindle edition, buy that hardcover. In Kindle there is no contents and no index pages. I was so disappointed I had to buy the Hardcover version as well so bought same book twice. Amazon sort out these dreadful Kindle copies, I don't expect to have to buy a book twice.
Published 9 months ago by Trevor Palmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Good meat recipes, but cracking theory, sauces and cocktails as well, 9 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook (Hardcover)
After finally deciding to shun gas barbecues in favour of teaching myself how to cook 'low and slow' properly with coals, I plumped for a couple of different books to help get me on my way. If you've been to Pitt Cue Co you'll know what to expect from this - a lot of pork, slightly British takes on proper American BBQ, and a love of vinegary pickles and slaws. The recipes are superb (the pulled pork blows my old recipes out of the water), although be warned that 'low and slow' is just that (slow), there are very few direct grill meat recipes in the book (although the few there are, e.g. the devilled chicken thighs, are sublime).

As good as the food recipes are, the book has three more (arguably as useful) strings to its bow - the theory, the sauces, and the cocktails. The theory of indirect grilling is laid out much clearer for (more or less) beginners than anything else I've read, and vastly improved my slow cooked large joints. The sauces and sides are suitably varied and in some places pretty unique (picked watermelon rind anyone?), and the cocktails will get any fan of whisky cocktails salivating, including various options for the epic pickleback.

Highly recommended for any barbecue fan if you're after something slightly different to the usual faire. I can highly recommend Ray Lampe's "Slow Fire" as an accompanying bible, mainly as it has the greatest dry ribs I've ever experienced...

5.0 out of 5 stars very good and very different, 25 July 2013
R de Bulat (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is an interesting book - a bit of all sorts, from the menu list of Pitt Cue, which started as a superior burger van, of sorts. The recipes are of interest if you have the means to smoke food - get a smoker, or build one - seemingly everyone is doing it: this might seem like a bit of a fad, but the menus for food, drinks, relishes and sauces, etc. are genuinely interesting and the book, overall, is novel and a cut above many more conventional cookery books you can buy and reflects the drive and passion of the people who created it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, awful Kindle edition, 30 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally hooked on this book., 18 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook (Hardcover)
Love this book. Everything that I have tried has come out brilliantly.

Gives a good basic background to slow, cooking, smoking and grilling using barbecues and all the recipes I have tried os far just work. The thing that surprised me though was the pickles and sides, they are amazing. We never go without a jar of the bread and butter pickles in the fridge these days. Never mind the barbecue, they are excellent on sandwiches.

5.0 out of 5 stars BBQ Kings, 16 Aug. 2013
Paul (Pembrokeshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook (Hardcover)
I have bought a few books for BBQ inspiration, and I'm always trawling the internet looking for an idea I implement. Based on their highly rated eaterie just behind Carnaby Street (Newburgh Street, London W1), I think it's safe to say that these guys have pushed the boundaries and have created a book for the purists to try at home.

Luckily enough there is enough content for those that do not have the time or the inclination to try the more advanced options such as brining before BBQ. If, while trying to BBQ, you find that all you can manage is badly cooked value sausage then leave this book alone. If you want to know what you should be doing or you are looking for an all encompassing BBQ book which tells you everything from the secrets of meat through to brine, rubs, pickles and drinks to name a few subjects then, for the price of a half decent bottle of red, this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous recipes!, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook (Hardcover)
Bought this as a treat for my partner - lovely looking hardback. Only had a flick through once so far but there are some amazing recipes, sauces, and rubs that we cannot wait to try! Plus the cocktail recipes look great! At £9.99 - fantastic value too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it - smoke baby smoke., 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is a great cook book and especially good if you have a smoker and are into smoking food. A nice history of the Pitt Cue company and some excellent recipes including cocktails and marinades and sauces/ketchups/pickles. Also included are recipes for salads and puddings. The big ode is to die for and full instructions are included! Some of the dishes such as Habanero pigs ears and pigs feet don't float my boat - so I won't cook them - there are a lot of other dishes to choose from that I certainly will. While it's not the same as eating at Pitt Cue as I live in Birmingham for my sins (actually it's a fab city and so much nicer than Manchester) it's as near as I am going to get most of the time. Also for the price its a snip!

3.0 out of 5 stars Overly complex and fussy..., 30 Oct. 2014
T.Howard (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook (Hardcover)
A great selection of dishes, but they are all fairly daunting - requiring a lot of time and preparation to pull off.

The food is good, but personally speaking I think that Pitt Cue (speaking of both the teeny Soho restaurant and this book) are a little bit foofy when it comes to barbecue... and a little overhyped.

For me, good barbecue should be relatively simple (in terms of both preparation and ingredients) and should focus on delivering big, bold flavours. In trying to go upmarket, Pitt Cue seems to have lost a little bit of the soul of barbecue food. It you have ever been fortunate enough to try anything from London street food legend SmokeStak, you will know what I mean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook (Hardcover)
Absolutely love this book. So far I have made several of the sauces and rubs. The chocolate and peanut butter tart is to die for. I have recommended this book to all my Friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reaches the parts other meat cook books don't, 17 Oct. 2014
Richard Newbold (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook (Hardcover)
Fills a gap, both on the culinary bookshelf and in the carnivore's tummy. Bought this for advice on smoking meats (excellent) and understanding the avalanche of obscurer cuts of meat becoming available (adequate but no more). Mixed bag of recipes, and I think many of these cuts are obscure for a reason - the amount of time and effort needed to make them edible by marinating, shredding, cooking in a glutinous sugary coating. By the end I was hoping to see a recipe for barbecued hipster but no such luck. Excellent in its way, though probably not for the beginner.

Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook
Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook by Richard H. Turner (Hardcover - 3 Jun. 2013)