5.0 out of 5 stars very good and very different
Published 8 months ago by R. J. de Bulat

2.0 out of 5 stars Home-smokers only...
Having eaten at Pitt Cue before, I was very excited to hear they were going to release a book, but I must admit - I was hugely disappointed when this arrived.

It's not so much that this is an inherently bad cookbook, just that it's really not the book I had hoped or wanted it to be.

If you are someone who is comfortable smoking their own foods, or...
Published 9 months ago by Kevin

5.0 out of 5 stars very good and very different, 25 July 2013
R. J. de Bulat (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is an interesting book - a bit of all sorts, from the menu list of Pitt Cue, which started as a superior burger van, of sorts. The recipes are of interest if you have the means to smoke food - get a smoker, or build one - seemingly everyone is doing it: this might seem like a bit of a fad, but the menus for food, drinks, relishes and sauces, etc. are genuinely interesting and the book, overall, is novel and a cut above many more conventional cookery books you can buy and reflects the drive and passion of the people who created it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good meat recipes, but cracking theory, sauces and cocktails as well, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook (Hardcover)
After finally deciding to shun gas barbecues in favour of teaching myself how to cook 'low and slow' properly with coals, I plumped for a couple of different books to help get me on my way. If you've been to Pitt Cue Co you'll know what to expect from this - a lot of pork, slightly British takes on proper American BBQ, and a love of vinegary pickles and slaws. The recipes are superb (the pulled pork blows my old recipes out of the water), although be warned that 'low and slow' is just that (slow), there are very few direct grill meat recipes in the book (although the few there are, e.g. the devilled chicken thighs, are sublime).

As good as the food recipes are, the book has three more (arguably as useful) strings to its bow - the theory, the sauces, and the cocktails. The theory of indirect grilling is laid out much clearer for (more or less) beginners than anything else I've read, and vastly improved my slow cooked large joints. The sauces and sides are suitably varied and in some places pretty unique (picked watermelon rind anyone?), and the cocktails will get any fan of whisky cocktails salivating, including various options for the epic pickleback.

Highly recommended for any barbecue fan if you're after something slightly different to the usual faire. I can highly recommend Ray Lampe's "Slow Fire" as an accompanying bible, mainly as it has the greatest dry ribs I've ever experienced...

5.0 out of 5 stars pitt cue co, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook (Hardcover)
Have used this book for the first time this week to cater for son's birthday BBQ.
The recipes are quite involved but wow, are they good.

I made the chipotle ketchup, BBQ mayonnaise, barbeque sauce and house rub along with the mother sauce. Then went onto to the pulled pork and chicken wings recipe as drumsticks.

Made the peanut butter icecream. My only mistake was making one quantity of the recipe as I had to make a second it was sooo good.

very little left overs after the BBQ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Barbielicious, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook (Hardcover)
Armed with my modest-but-excellent "Cobb Barbecue", I set out to test the recipes from the Pitt Cue book this summer. On a small barbecue without a built-in smoker, some of the longer-smoked recipes are off limits for me (although I did use smoking bisquettes with my Cobb for the recipes I tried that needed smoking). I made-up the House Rub, Pitt Cue Barbecue Sauce and Chipotle Ketchup and set to work. For many of the recipes you need to first make-up other recipes like these - but they appear again and again in recipes throughout the book - once these are made-up the recipes are very simple.

Favourite recipes so far (repeated several times with great results) - the smoked barbecue chicken (I prefer to cut the chicken into pieces instead of whole), pork chops, baked beans, several of the cocktails featuring bourbon and campari (the 'BLC' cocktail - especially awesome), and several of the coleslaw recipes (now addicted to coleslaw - especialy their 'mustard slaw' and 'vinegar slaw'), pickled cherries, pickled carrots. Their recipes that require bottling - the sauces and pickles - also make great gifts for friends.

The only thing I'm wary of is the amount of sugar used in some of their recipes (similarly I found with their friend's book 'Hawksmoor at Home' too much butter & sugar for me in their recipes). I've made some adjustments to some Pitt Cue recipes involving sugar and butter - replacing with Stevia in the coleslaw, reducing the amount of butter and salt in other recipes etc. Although I know my adjustments are bound to alter the end result in some recipes - it means I can still enjoy them without feeling too guilty (borderline diabetic). Some ingredients in the recipes were hard to find - I'm yet to find a local butcher to sell me marrowbone, some of the drink ingredients - flavoured bitters - I will need to find via the internet as offlicences generally don't stock them. Its clear that meat is their thing - sadly fish and seafood don't feature - I'd love to know how Pitt Cue would tackle seafood - scallops/prawns etc - I hope they will create another book to include these and perhaps some more of their accompaniment salads etc. ('Pitt Cue Co by the Sea', 'Pitt Cue Co does GL Diet', 'Pitt Cue Co goes Paleo', are the next books I would want them to create!)

To summarise - I've been using this book lots and lots this summer. Some of the ingredients are naughty for health-concsious people (although a little of what you fancy does you good - and BBQ grilling means much of the fat runs off, and something delicously barbecued with a lovely coleslaw and salad balances out the naughtiness). The recipes can be time-consuming, but they are are great fun to make and they turn out really well with delicious results, so its worth persevering. I love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook (Hardcover)
Absolutely love this book. So far I have made several of the sauces and rubs. The chocolate and peanut butter tart is to die for. I have recommended this book to all my Friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit more than just smoking meat, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook (Hardcover)
A brilliantly fresh approach to cooking meats, salads and simple but delicious desserts. Fabulous recipes and great fun to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the book, love the restaurant, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook (Hardcover)
Living in London I was a regular to Pitt Cue in Soho and love the food. Was given this book as a gift and it makes my mouth water every time I read it. I had a foodie friend leaving work and bought this as a leaving gift for him. He also loves it.

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 21 Mar 2014
great,
enjoyed it very much i enjoy bar-b-que's very much and this opened a new door on learning more about them

5.0 out of 5 stars American-style feasting!, 7 Feb 2014
Miss R. Taylor "Rosie T" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook (Hardcover)
What a great book, well styled and full of ingredient information and gives a great cultural backdrop to the Southern USA style of coooking!
Good guide to meat, smoking and BBQ techniques.
A must have for American food/meat lovers!
Your man will love these recipes :)

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 2 Feb 2014
as a butcher i am collecting knowledge and ideas to expand my product ranges, this is a very interesting book for me, if i can use even one thing learned from it, its worth the purchase. but im also looking forward tom try a lot of the recipes at home

ARRAY(0xa834ae7c)

Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook
Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook by Richard H. Turner (Hardcover - 3 Jun 2013)
16.75