4.0 out of 5 stars Great balls, but steady on the jokes.
Published 17 months ago by FussFreeFlavours

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Inspiring Recipes
Possibly he makes a simple meatball unnecessarily complex and uses eggs a lot to bind which i find usually not required but the recipes are really interesting and I've been inspired! Not sorry I bought it.
Published 15 months ago by A. L. Newbury

4.0 out of 5 stars Great balls, but steady on the jokes., 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Bowler's Meatball Cookbook: Ballsy Food. Ballsy Flavours. Ballsy Recipes. (Hardcover)
Jez Felwick runs a food truck, based mainly in London; from which he serves meat, fish and vegetable balls, and he's give away some of his secrets in this book. There are six chapters; an introduction, chapters on meat, fish and vegetable balls, sauces and dips and finally sides. There's some great inspiration to be found: pork and fennel, smokin' bacon, björn (Swedish-style meatballs. Weekend trip to Ikea, anyone?), steamy chicken meatballs, sweet potato & goat's cheese balls, or cheesed, charred and herbed polenta, and as an accompaniment, chipotle mayonnaise.

We tried the wasabi salmon and sesame seed balls; like all the recipes, they're easy to prepare, after 10 minutes in the oven they're ready to eat; so perfect for any situation where pre-preparing means you're not stuck in the kitchen while everybody else is having a great time elsewhere. We liked them - a little heat from the wasabi (we could well have added a bit more), and the Asian flavours worked well with our accompaniment of miso mash. We only found out after we had bought the ingredients and made the balls that the book and this very recipe had been featured on Radio 2 earlier this week.

Like many one-idea cookbooks, this is really never going to be a staple. However, it's a great book for a range of ideas that are slightly out of the ordinary and make a welcome change. There are plenty of pictures - all the ball recipes have a full page photo, with the result that the book itself fills 158 pages, with only 31 ball recipes, a ratio that could have been higher. The only real criticism I would make is that there is possibly one too many ball-related joke.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good range of recipes to cater for most tastes., 8 April 2013
JB (Chudleigh, Devon) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My only experience of meatballs was years ago at a certain flatpack furniture store
in Bristol. When I saw this book it whetted my appetite and I decided to give it a go.

I hadn't any knowledge about the author, and some background research makes the
book even more interesting (for me anyway).

It's a very well made book (approximately 20 x 25 cm), with chunky covers and good
quality paper. I'm pleased with the font size used and there are generous margins
which makes reading the recipes easy. As others have mentioned, there are also very
good quality photographs on the opposite open page.

The book has a decent introduction section on the basics of meatball making which
I found very useful. The next sections are meatballs (24 recipes) and then fish (4 recipes)
and veg' (also 4 recipes). I would have liked to see a few more recipes for the fish and veg
sections, but hey-ho!

So far I've tried three of the meat recipes and one of the veg ideas, and they've all turned
out fine. I managed to source most of the ingredients without any trouble (which for me is
a real bonus).

There is a section on sauces and dips (around 24 recipes) and a final chapter on 'sides'; this
was a real unexpected bonus and I have really enjoyed some of the (19) mouth-watering ideas
presented in this section and are they are worth using even if you never cook a meatball.

I like the fact that other recipes are page referenced in the book, so you can go straight to
the section on (say) Confit Garlic without dithering around in the index.

Whilst the recipes do mention using ready-minced meat, it does often refer to asking your
butcher to mince the meat for you; I don't have access to a decent butcher, so I think I'm
going to invest in my own (cheap) meat mincer.

A great book and is definitely worth a look.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Inspiring Recipes, 16 April 2013
A. L. Newbury (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Meatball Cookbook, 18 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not just meatballs! Jez Felwick also offers comprehensive sections on fish balls, veg balls and sides and sauces. I also appreciated the introductions describing how he set up his business and I found the tips on meat choice and preperation helpful, even to a butcher's daughter! The recipes themself aren't that complex, but they do require a lot of ingredients that you may not have on hand.
Brilliant, easily adaptable ideas to make a simple food into a deluxe dish.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, exciting ways of using minced beef/pork/chicken!, 16 April 2013
K. Glaister "Allotment Queen" (Salisbury UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I often buy miced beef/pork or chicken and always end up making the same old dishes. I get so bored of cooking the same old things! This book's title attracted me and having read it now, its contents have attracted me further! Each recipe (there are actually not that many of them) has a lovely picture and vegetarians are not left out with vegetable balls and fish included. Too many balls? Probably, but it is quite fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars A realy great addition to my cookbooks, 20 Mar 2013
Good clear and easy to follow instructions, good photographs, Inexpensive ingrediants.. I am looking forward to making many of the recipes in this book..

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant bloke present!, 5 Jun 2014
My other half likes cooking, but only non-boring food. This was the perfect random present for him, he loves it, and so do I - the meatballs he's made so far have been gorgeous, and the sides are awesome too - the honey garlic BBQ sauce in particular is spectacular!

So in summary: great present for the meat lover in your life, great recipes, great way to get fed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, I keep buying this for others!, 1 Jun 2014
Great book this. Not just for the meatballs but for the salads and serving ideas too. Well written and quirky.. I have done lots from this book - whether following the recipes exactly or using them as a guide. There are suggestions in this I would not have thought of and I like it so much I've bought it for other people too. Much to recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreadable Kindle Edition (Kindel Touch), 7 May 2014
Was very much looking forward to getting this but I have had to return it for a refund on the kindle store as it's unreadable. Seems to be a direct scan of the original book which means much writing is on a very dark background (unreadable) and the size of the writing is minuscule with no ability to change then size (....unreadable). Shame as I was very excited about this book.

In summary - DON'T get the kindle edition!

The Bowler's Meatball Cookbook: Ballsy Food. Ballsy Flavours. Ballsy Recipes.
13.59