Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A very offputting title, which has left me thinking that this guy is a bit of an idiot.

However, his cookery book is not bad. The first thing that I really like is that its a hardback book that stays open when you are cooking, its so irritating to turn back to the recipe only to find that the book has closed and have to find the page again for the umpteenth time.

The recipes are for the most part fairly simple with 6 or 7 steps, well explained and most, if not all, are illustrated. Its always helpful to see how it ought to turn out. Top end pub grub sums up this book very well.

There is a good recipe for saeurkraut which worked for me, I won't be buying the tinned version in future. Fore rib of beef with dauphinoise and the Pork Empanadas were delicious. I did make the Mint and pine nut hummus but was more interested in the meat dishes in the book.
I shall try the mushroom "burgers" next time I have vegetarian guests; I have eaten a veggie burger in a gastropub with enjoyment and this recipe looks very similar.

Making meatballs with duck seems a bit strange, I would be interested to know if anyone has tried this and whether its inclusion was just to make the book seem a bit more adventurous.

On the whole a good mixture of traditional and more recent influences in cooking. Shame about the title.
VINE VOICEon 19 July 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a comparatively short cookbook with the somewhat meaningless subtitle 'food to share with friends and family' which led me to believe it would be party or dinner party food: I'm fact, there isn't even that much of an identifiable thread going through the recipes here, which appear to be a random assortment of dishes gathered into a random series of chapters: Sandwiches, light lunches for dieters, pies, dressings, a chapter of coriander-based recipes for some reason, etc.

But while there's a wide range of cooking genres, here, the recipes themselves are pretty consistent in their approach, being designed for beginner to competent home cooks with generally easy to obtain ingredients and clear instructions with step by step photographs when necessary. Having said that, the outcomes are very varied as to how impressed your 'friends and family' will be, ranging as they do from impressive exotica - a slow-cooked Malaysian buffalo dish - to some very everyday meat pies and rather dull vegetarian dishes.

So, whilst it's by no means a bad cookbook, it's one of those that I can't really see the point of owning, the recipes being too diffuse for it to be used as a reference, and too simple to challenge the more experienced home cook.
VINE VOICEon 30 September 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Okay, on the positives: "Men Love Pies, Girls Like Humus" is beautifully photographed, it's a great size, well bound and the typesetting is trendy and well laid out. In short, this is a great book to look at. The recipes aren't overly complicated and many of them look really tasty, but you'd think from the title that this book is aimed at, well, men/blokes/chaps, but it's not and in this respect it seems to sit uncomfortably on the fence. If it was a guy's book like "Manly Food" by Simon Cave it may have more appeal, but I can image a bloke's mum being more interested in it than most chaps.

The book is full of Simon Rimmer anecdotes and personal info' on his life, who he's met, where he's been and what he's experienced. If you're a big Simon Rimmer fan this is probably great, but if you're not, it gets to be a bit of a laboured name-dropping exercise. Don't get me wrong, if you're a fan then, well, he's interesting and at times quite funny, but if you're not...

In summary, it's a good book, well laid out, beautifully photographed with some wonderful recipes, but you'll probably need to be a Rimmer fan to truly enjoy it. If you're not a Simon Rimmer fan that might be a problem.
VINE VOICEon 24 June 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Simon Rimmer is a most personable chef: he makes it look easy with his relaxed demeanor & instills confidence. This book does the same. I feel I can cook anything from here & be confident that it will be perfect. In fact, the dishes I have attempted so far have been just that: perfect!
Bombay Potato Pie was my first effort, & what a fabulous meal it was. All the spices in this dish I have as store-cupboard items, & I also always have honey, potatoes, onions & butter so all I had to purchase was spinach, filo pastry sheets & the cashew nuts. It was a simple recipe to follow, & the result was superb. I had it with a dollop of my beloved banana ketchup & a simple tomato salad.
Thrilled with that pie, I also made the Bacon & Egg pie, & that was equally as gorgeous. He has a varied & interesting array of recipes in this book, something for everybody, I should think. They are laid out neatly & are easy to read, & there are lovely photographs to illustrate the finished dishes. Having recently purchased a paella pan, the next recipe I will make is his Rabbit & Snail Paella, & I have every confidence that it will be fabulous!!
Love this book. Get it!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 May 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been a fan of Simon Rimmer's cooking since Something for the weekend and was delighted to find he's done a book.

The chapters are set out with personal anecdotes to theme the chapter such as a potential family venture, customers or friends comments or attitudes to food Simon has encountered but cover sandwiches, 'lighter foods', pies, meat, fish, vegetarian food, coriander based dishes, foreign-cuisine inspired food and puds.

The recipes are clear, thoughtfully described and laid out, most with accompanying finished pictures which is handy. Am currently cooking the cauliflower cheese topped shepherds pie which looks gorgeous.

What I like about this book is that it is really down to earth and doesn't have pretensions of overly exotic ingredients, Simon sets out to feed you and his recipes succeed.

Only knocked a star off as I thought the book was a little slim compared to other chef books on my cookery shelf and I know he has loads of wonderful recipes from years of Sunday tv!
I love this book.

Don't let its "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" title fool you. This is a book that transcends the culinary genders and exposes some great tastes along the way.

The thing I like about this book, is that it's not too bulky and the majority of recipes and ideas are very accessible. This is in the respect that, with the ingredients used and the way that the recipes are constructed, the layman can complete them without too much cursing and setting-the-kitchen-on-fire.

I love the simple chicken pie recipe, and have made base vindaloo sauce in bulk for the freezer; I expect to save a fortune on takeaways as a result, as it's a great tweakable base. There are a few recipes which sound quite frankly petrifying, with rabbit and snail paella being the flagship example. This being said, the majority sound great and the ones I have cooked so far have tasted not-so-bad too!

Nice addition to my growing cookbook repertoire.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I like Simon Rimmer, the cheeky chappie and Liverpool supporter who presents Something for the Weekend, and I like his recipes even more. I have cooked a few recipes from the programme, successfully, which I found to be easy to do and tasty.

The book's title and chapter headings are comments from Simon's friends, family and customers and it gives a nice, friendly, personal feel to the book. Likewise, the recipes are a collection of favourites of Simon's customers, family, friends and Simon himself. They are set out clearly, are easy to follow with readily available ingredients and most of all look delicious.

The recipes are very much the kind I like to cook for me and my hubby and many of these recipes are destined to be midweek suppers and special weekend dinners. Especially the Boston Baked Beans (soooo much more exciting than the name suggests) and the cod with langoustine stew.

Love it Simon, it will be on my shelf for a long time.
VINE VOICEon 1 July 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As Cook Books go this one is pretty good without being spectacular.

The recipes are of a decent standard without being anything that will blow you away but are all good hearty meals using fairly common ingredients for the most part.

Each chapter gets a full page forward explaning how he came up with the ideas and recipes in there and the recipes themselves cover two pages with one page being a full size picture. The recipes are also pretty straightforward and something even a novice could pull of very easily.

Among the more common recipes are a few slightly more exotic ones or ones that will require a bit of hunting around for the ingredients(I'm looking forward to trying the game pie!) but there's plenty here for everyone.

The only thing that really lets this book down is that it is a little on the thin side and doesn't pack in as many recipes as other similarly priced books.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As I regularly watch at least some of the Channel 4's Sunday Brunch programme it was seeing Simon Rimmer on the telly which drew me to this book. I'd also seen him talk about it on some chat shows at the time it was released so had an idea of what to expect. Most of the recipes are of a similar style to those he presents on the TV programme but there are some of the more traditional ones too. Simon does say in the book that all of the recipes have been tested in his restaurants and at home, and are dishes that proved particularly popular with female tasters. The idea is that someone might want to make one of these dishes in order to impress a lady in their life - girlfriend, wife, partner, mother, sister etc. There are plenty of photographs to tempt the reader along the way and overall it's a pretty good cookbook even if it isn't actually one of my favourites.
on 11 September 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The tongue-in-cheek title sets the tone for the book - cheeky, chirpy and full of robust flavours.

Nothing is over complicated - ready made pastry features heavily - and the recipes are written in a casual style with added anecdotes, which makes for easy reading. The combinations are nothing too "out there" but seem to be a combination of earthy, strong flavours - anyone looking for delicate dainties in a bland sauce will be disappointed.

There is an excellent selection of vegetarian dishes, as would be expected from the owner of a veggie restaurant, but plenty of meat and fish features too. The puddings section is a little sparse, but probably after one of these main courses, a dessert would be a struggle.

One to keep and use when having friends round, or even for an everyday after work dinner.