4.0 out of 5 stars This is a history book
I loved "Tales from the Green Valley" - my favourite of the programmes made thus far by Ruth, Peter and Alex. Tales From The Green Valley [DVD]

Now we have a recreation of living on a farm during World War 2 - with its challenges and celebrations. I was excited
Published 14 months ago by Kate.Tudor

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but I was expecting a bit more
I watched the TV series of wartime farm and really enjoyed it. It had great ideas on how to "make do" and when I saw there was a book to acompany the series I thought I would buy it.

Published 18 months ago by D. Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but I was expecting a bit more, 26 April 2013
D. Richards (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

However, to be quite honest it is a bit of a let down. While it does contain the odd recipie seen in the series and the odd "step by step" guides for toy making / repairs etc, its mostly a book about the "making of" the series detailing production, filming, etc. While this may appeal to some, I was specifically hoping for a recipe and skills book.

That being said,what is presented here is very readable and it is quite interesting to read to see how the series was made. All in all however, I was underwhelemed with the book itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a history book, 13 Aug 2013
Kate.Tudor (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

about a book of the programme as I thought it would focus on how to do some of the things we see the historians/archaeologist
doing and I'm a fan of experimental archaeology. We do get some of that - how to make a feather duster, a few recipes including making shampoo from soapwort and a guide to quilt making, but not nearly enough for me.

What this is is a very good popular history book, with short articles covering many aspects of life and developments during the war written by the three presenters. There is information on rationing, the Bevan boys, food preserving and many other wartime areas and a timeline of what was happening during the war years to allow you to put it into context. There are also articles on their experience of wartime farming and what unique challenges it presented.

My Mum, who was born 2 years before the start of the war, will love it. I found it quite interesting, but would have liked more practical things to try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than previous 'Farm' books -absolutely wonderful., 1 Sep 2012
A. I. McCulloch "Andrea" (Co Durham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wartime Farm (Hardcover)
The BBC must know they are on to a winner with this one. As I write this, the series 'Wartime Farm' hasn't even started, but the book has already been released.

The format is well known - archaeologists Peter Ginn and Alex Langlands, along with social historian Ruth Goodman recreate a period of history by living on a farm exactly as they would have done at that time for a TV series.

'Tales from the Green Valley' was a quiet success some years ago, but in recent years 'Victorian Farm' and 'Edwardian Farm' really caught the public's imagination.
Both Victorian Farm and Edwardian Farm had great 'books of the programme'; this one is even better.

'Edwardian Farm' suffered slightly from poor proofreading, but here there are no such errors - at least not that I spotted. What there is, is a fascinating guide to farming and rural life in wartime. As always there are unexpected challenges for Peter, Alex and Ruth- such as ploughing by night, making tiles (roofs were frequently damaged in bombing).... and ballroom dancing for a wartime 'hop'.

With the programmes yet to be broadcast at the time of writing it's difficult to say how the book fits into the programmes. However there are eight programmes scheduled and also eight chapter headings. The Victorian & Edwardian Farm books mixed the content of some of the programmes in different chapters, whilst others - like the Christmas celebrations - were less varied.

We are taken through an outline of the 'Farm at War', with details of crops grown and the equipment used. 'Mobilising People' deals with those who worked on the land and elsewhere. As might be expected 'The Home & Garden Front' shows how a home and garden were run. The recipes in 'Wartime Food' will certainly be of interest to those who welcome the current return to fashion of 'old style' living - baking from scratch, making use of cheaper cuts of meat, and generally economising. There's a short section of recipes, with some familiar - Coconut Ice - and some not so familiar such as Baked Potato Pudding.

Livestock -hens, rabbits, pigs, cows, horses - have their own chapter, as does Home Defences, with the role of the Home Guard examined. 'Make Do and Mend' is becoming a motto for today as much as it was in wartime, although not many of us will mend laddered stockings with hair, as Ruth does.
Finally ..And Carry On covers the leisure pursuits such as the aforementioned dancing and Christmas celebrations. Wonderful.

This would be a super book of social history even without the back up of the programmes. Peter, Ruth and Alex are first class writers as well as top-class historians. It's difficult to know how it could be better.
What next? Well, Peter's potted biography in the introduction tells us that he 'has swum the Rio Grande during a flash flood, been forced up a pyramid at gunpoint ... and set fire to himself (twice)." If that isn't worth writing about, I don't know what is.
I doubt if I'll recommend a book more highly this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating glimpse at life on a war time farm., 20 Nov 2012
Mondoro (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Both my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed Wartime Farm so this book was a must for us both. It is a really good read and provides much more in-depth information than the series had time for. It was hard to imagine there could be anything new to learn about World War II as it has had enormous coverage on the media, endless books, television series [fiction and non fiction] etc. However there was much that was new and interesting in this series. The information on Lumber Jills was new to me [although it has recently turned up again on BBC Countryfile] and it was good to see a group of hard working women finally praised for what they achieved during the war. The chapter on Home Defences was riverting - I doubt if many people had realised that farmers were engaged in secret defence work at night as well spending their days working hard to ensure the nation was fed. I think most readers will enjoy reading the recipes although I doubt many will want to make a 'baked potato pudding'!. Ginn, Goodman and Langlands are as interesting as writers as they are engaging presenters. Highly recommended. fjs

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 6 Sep 2012
This review is from: Wartime Farm (Hardcover)
A beautifully photographed, well detailed, hardback book.

A beautifully presented book jammed full of everything you could possibly want to know about life on the farm during the war.

You start with a fantastic meet the farmers section which then leads into the farm in my home county of Hampshire. The farm sits in he most beautiful of settings and it must have been an absolute delight living there whether through the war time years or the recreated years.

With sections on Grow your own and Make do and Mend the book just oozes photos and adverts from the past along with a section on how to make your own beehive and honey. Illustrated step by step on how to dance a perfect foxtrot when you meet your GI, recipes and how to make your own Christmas decorations.

A fantastic read for young and old. I took this book in to show a class of 11year olds and they loved it.

Perfect gift for anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely, interesting coffee table book, 17 Oct 2013
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I only saw a couple of episodes of this series when it was on T.V. - a shame, as the premise held quite a lot of interest for me. During the Second World War, my grandfather (a university lecturer, with a specialist interest in entomology) was seconded to the Ministry of Agriculture, to help advise on crop production/protection to try and help achieve the highest possible yields - which crops to grow to avoid pests, how best to eliminate insect pests, how to control pests, etc. he and another chap between them were responsible for the whole of Wales.

The book is beautifully presented, on pseudo-aged paper, and gives a really good feel for the nature of the 'experiment', the serious historical interests of those conducting it, and aspects of the social history of WWII, through the attempt to recreate realistic day-to-day living circumstances. There are instructions for all kinds of aspects of 'make do and mend' survivalism - accompanied by photographs of the present day participants, as well as contemporary documents and photographs.

A beautiful, engaging, quirky account of a particular part of UK social history that is well-written, by a trio of authors with a passion for history so great they're eager to live it. Lovely!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting compliment to the TV series, 4 Sep 2013
Bobsta (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you enjoyed the TV series you will enjoy reading this book. It contains so much information, much of it relevent today from cheap recipes to recycling! There is lots of information about the challenges faced by not only farmers but everyone in the war, such as how to afford for feed and clothe yourself and your family. Its very interesting how previously unused land was put into use again growing food for humans or animals, such as verges or ornamental gardens. There is information on gardening for food crops all year round, making christmas decorations and even making your own feather duster and quilt!
A very enjoyable read

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating study of the war years., 14 Aug 2013
Arthur Dooley (N Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've enjoyed Ruth Goodman, Peter Ginn and Alex Langdales' historical socio-cultural TV series-Victorian Farm, Edwardian Farm and latterly, Wartime Farm. This is the first book of any of the aforementioned series that I have had the pleasure to peruse and I have to say, what a fine work it is. Beautifully produced and illustrated, Wartime Farm is also intelligently written and covers far more than just the socio-cultural elements. The book includes wartime recipes, tips and how-to guides, many of which would prove useful today. A nice book to read cover to cover or just to dip into for ideas and inspiration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wartime Farm, 28 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A bumper book of wartime facts from the makers of the BBC history series. Social historian Ruth Goodman and the archaeologists Peter Ginn and Alex Langlands join together again to recreate a piece of wartime farming history, living on a farm as it would have been in 1939. This is a beautifully photographed and well-detailed hardback book as usual fully exploring the conditions of the times. There are lots of interesting facts and surprising ones such as the fact that 70% of our pre-war food was imported. The farm itself is set in the middle of the Hampshire countryside and it must have been wonderful to live there, but perhaps not at wartime.
I didn't watch all of the TV series so getting this book has really made up for the bits I missed. I would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wartime Farm, 28 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely book! It is beautifully presented, the pages being made to look old and dated. It is full of colourful, war-time photos. The title, i.e. Wartime Farm, limits it, as it is far more than this. It also looks at many issues of living in Britain during the second world war, e.g. rationing, evacuation, air raids, clothing, together with a section on war time recipes. This is a very interesting and informative book which would make a lovely gift idea, certainly for anyone who lived during this period, but also for anyone wanting to find out more.

Wartime Farm
Wartime Farm by Alexander Langlands (Hardcover - 3 Sep 2012)
Used & New from: £1.69